Morning readings

mattrbailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was told back in Feb I was type one. I have been on insulin since. Started on 12 clicks and then to 15 a couple of weeks later. since my last appointment have been slowly upping to now 18. My levels are under control at around 5 - 9, spiking to 11-13, but always a reason.

My morning readings are rarely below 8. Hence the move from 15 to (one increase a week) 18 clicks, as recommended by the nurse. Morning is normally around 7:00, but alarm goes off around 6. They then climb until around 11am by between 2 and 3 points. I will ask the nurse, but the nightly increase from 15 to now 18 doesn't seem to bring the morning reading down. I know the liver kicks out sugars overnight.

Any advice?

Ps it's lantus insulin.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8 isn't horrible, sounds like the nurse is ratcheting the Lantus up slowly. The thing about the fasting level is I don't want mine to be too low because I have so little reserve before I go unconscious when I'm asleep. If I get low during the day I know it and can eat something. For instance I was 3.1 today and I consider that too low for safety. I was a little confused when I got up. I want mine to be about 6 which is the overall average of my meter tests and correlates to an A1C in the low 6's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark14400

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Try a liver block?

Other type1s split their lantus. Has that been suggested?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was told back in Feb I was type one. I have been on insulin since. Started on 12 clicks and then to 15 a couple of weeks later. since my last appointment have been slowly upping to now 18. My levels are under control at around 5 - 9, spiking to 11-13, but always a reason.

My morning readings are rarely below 8. Hence the move from 15 to (one increase a week) 18 clicks, as recommended by the nurse. Morning is normally around 7:00, but alarm goes off around 6. They then climb until around 11am by between 2 and 3 points. I will ask the nurse, but the nightly increase from 15 to now 18 doesn't seem to bring the morning reading down. I know the liver kicks out sugars overnight.

Any advice?

Ps it's lantus insulin.

Hi,

This may sound like a silly question..? (I see no other reference other than Lantus in your prevous posts.)

Have you just been prescribed Lantus for your diabetes?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@mattrbailey I think you were originally thought to be Type 2?

If you're only on Lantus, you might find control easier with a bolus (meal) insulin too. A basal/bolus regime is recommended for Type 1s.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I don't know any type2s just on lantus either.

Even an insulin dependant type2 would need a bolus of some kind.
Metformin wouldnt be enough on its own if a basal is needed.
Who has wrote a script for just a basal insulin?
Its like giving food without water.
Basal cannot sustain good bgs on its own. Food spikes everyone, basal doesn't cover any spikes.
Basal ticks us along inbetween food.

Reactions: mattrbailey

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know any type2s just on lantus either.

Even an insulin dependant type2 would need a bolus of some kind.
Metformin wouldnt be enough on its own if a basal is needed.
Who has wrote a script for just a basal insulin?
Its like giving food without water.
Basal cannot sustain good bgs on its own. Food spikes everyone, basal doesn't cover any spikes.
Basal ticks us along inbetween food.
I work at a Veteran's Admin. hospital/outpatient clinic and we see TONS of Type 2 veterans (many from Vietnam, Agent Orange exposure). And I bet at least half the ones I see are on Lantus, or Lantus/Novolog. Some are JUST on Lantus, and metformin and/or glipizide or other orals. Some are on basal/bolus like we are. I do not treat diabetes myself, that's not my specialty, but I see tons of vets who have it, who have CAD, stents, bypasses and heart failure and stuff like that.

Mark14400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Any advice?

Ps it's lantus insulin.
My DSN suggested no Rapid Insulin for my evening meal (I am still in honeymoon period).....morning usual 8 readings now at 6.5. Can't explain why...but happy days....Mark

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My DSN suggested no Rapid Insulin for my evening meal (I am still in honeymoon period).....morning usual 8 readings now at 6.5. Can't explain why...but happy days....Mark
I'm finding my evening meal less problematic too. I'm needing more on a morning than evening meal even though more carbs in evening meal than my breakfast. I low carb mostly but not severely low carb. I've put mone down to myiinsulin resistance is worse on a morning. 25units with breakfast but 15-20units with evening meal.

Shazzle80

I don't know which long acting insulin you're on but apparently they all work quite differently. I was recently taken off Humalin I and put on levimir.....22 unit in the evening. This didn't help my sugars so I split it (with my nurses consent!) to 10 in the am and 12 twelve hours later. It's really helped to stabilise my sugars and usually my range in the am is under 7.5. Could this work for you??

Don't beat yourself up to much. I've only been T1 for 3.5 years and it's taken me that long to begin to understand what it means. You've a lot to process right now. Seek the support of your diabetes team (and head of course!) it can take a while to find medication that suits you. Make sure you go and ask at your gps whether they feel you might be better trying sometime else. Also, monitor what you eat before bed. I rarely eat after 8pm and always make it seeded crackers or bread or fruit/nuts.

Hope this helps xxx