Levemir to Degludec

torheedamy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I haven't posted in a while but I have just changed to degludec insulin as a result of getting sore lumps on the injection sites from the levemir.
I was wondering whether anyone else has switched to degludec and if what they think of it.

Thanks in advance.
Victoria

Sent from my F8331 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @torheedamy I was on degludec/tresiba before I went onto the pump - I loved it, helped me stabilise my levels, took some getting used to though as it's in your system for around 36 hours, so be careful not to tweak within 3 days of starting it, it does take a few weeks to settle in with it but it is worth it. In regards to your lumps can you inject in your backside ? I always used to inject in my bum with tresiba and tum for QA ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sure @robert72 also went from Levemir to Tresiba so hopefully he'll reply to your thread.

Maybe @Juicyj might say, but I would guess when you do settle down on Tresiba you'll find that your injecting fewer units anyway (so your injection sites may not get as sore as before).

Reactions: robert72

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Several people have posted they were switched to Tresiba and that it took several weeks to get their BS under control, they tended to be high. But as I recall they all ended up liking it. My friend's daughter got put on it and is supposedly doing better. She isn't known for being under very good control either. I got switched to Basaglar a few months ago and it's the same as Lantus.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Victoria. I changed from levemir to tresiba quite a while ago and find it much better.
Even though it's very long lasting a few of us found we had a flatter profile taking it in the morning for some reason.
Also it doesn't seem to matter the exact timing. For example I take it first thing when I get up which is about 6:15 weekdays but more like 9:30 on weekends and it has no impact on levels.
I found a straight swap in terms of units was ok for me but I think most people end up taking less.
Also as I think has already been mentioned it takes about 3 days to reach steady state so you won't see changes on a day to day basis if you change your dose so something to be mindful of when figuring out your dose.
Good luck with it, I find it a real good basal.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I changed from Lantus to Tresiba about three years ago and find it much more predictable. I did try Levemir several years ago and also got the sore lumps at injection sites, but went back to Lantus as Tresiba wasn't around then. Anyway, hopefully it will be better for you once you get your dose sorted.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm on toujeo300. Very predictable and smooth bgs when I don't eat spiking treats. I'm severely insulin resistant thou, not type1.
May be staying on it after bariatric surgery, if I'll need insulin. Very reliable.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I haven't posted in a while but I have just changed to degludec insulin as a result of getting sore lumps on the injection sites from the levemir.
I was wondering whether anyone else has switched to degludec and if what they think of it.

Thanks in advance.
Victoria

Sent from my F8331 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
I am going to switch from Levemir to Tresiba on Monday but I heard degludec is the main name of Tresiba. But that is because I have highs even on the maximum dose of Levemir.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am going to switch from Levemir to Tresiba on Monday but I heard degludec is the main name of Tresiba. But that is because I have highs even on the maximum dose of Levemir.

How much are you taking? Didnt think there was a maximum qty to take of levemir???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So what stops you dialling up more if you need more?
Tresiba you should use less but not necessarily so. Everybody is different. I'm actually using more although no where near your qty.

There are some people on higher doses than you and they just dial up twice or more....

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made the change from levemir to tresiba about a week ago as was having to split my levemir dose to get a flattish profile which resulted in random lows.....

Liking tresiba so far as no lows and have gone from 24u levemir to 14u tresiba......Endo suggested 16u at a 30% reduction but i kept waking up low each morning on that dose......still got a lot of tweaking to do though as running very high but staying flat in profile from lunch through to bed time......hoping by gradually increasing my lunchtime bolus control will be great and without the lows!!!

Good luck

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tresiba you should use less but not necessarily so. Everybody is different. I'm actually using more although no where near your qty.

There are some people on higher doses than you and they just dial up twice or more....
The Novopen Echo stops at either, the amount of units left in the pen, or at 30 as that's the last dose you can select at once.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

The hospital, they don't want me to be doing more dials and injections so they gave me Tresiba