Diagnosed earlier this year
Have received the following advice
Stay away from sugar
Stay as way from carbs
Sat away from red and processed meats stay away from dairy
Limited fruit ie 1 piece a day
No rice no pasta no bread
As you can see this means a very limited fire
Didn’t get me wrong blood sugar levels have come right down and I’ve lost three stone but this is because I’m not eating anything
What do other people eat and where can I find some real advice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just eat ultra low carb. Meat, fish, eggs, butter, bacon few bits of veg here and there (all above ground) cheese, double cream in coffee and lactofree milk in tea.
Don't feel deprived, rarely feel hungry and eat once or twice a day.
Couldn't be easier.
Sorry edited to add... fruit treat frozen raspberries in double cream every so often.

Reactions: MNawaz2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed earlier this year
Have received the following advice
Stay away from sugar
Stay as way from carbs
Sat away from red and processed meats stay away from dairy
Limited fruit ie 1 piece a day
No rice no pasta no bread
As you can see this means a very limited fire
Didn’t get me wrong blood sugar levels have come right down and I’ve lost three stone but this is because I’m not eating anything

Hi and welcome,

Well done on reducing your BS levels and your weight. :)

Have you got your own blood glucose meter? If you have (and I believe this is an essential tool) you can use it to show you exactly which foods your body can cope with as far as blood sugar levels are concerned. You may have a few pleasant surprises.

Are you on any diabetes medications?

Tagging @daisy1 who will post some very useful information for newcomers.

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat like Bulkbiker but with more soft fruit (don't eat these everyday) and possibly more veg? I do occasionally eat potatoes and beetroot. I only drink green tea and water.

I don't understand why I don't like the taste of unsweetened coffee when I like the taste of Montezuma's 100% coco

Snacks I eat Macademia, Pecan and brazil nuts.

Last edited:

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat, fish, poultry, sea food, eggs, cheese, cream, butter, full fat Greek yoghurt, (mainly) above ground vegetables and salad, nuts, seeds - basically low carb stuff.
@Colin2903 asked where he could get real advice. I would suggest that Diet Doctor has a lot of really good, free advice, https://www.dietdoctor.com/
Sally

Reactions: MNawaz2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat according to the lists for Atkins induction, plus the rungs of the carb ladder below alcohol in the ongoing weightloss section, but I do add in an occasional Lidl protein roll.
I eat any kind of meat or fish, shellfish, eggs, full fat Greek yogurt, thick and extra thick creams and some cheese.
I add all sorts of salad and veges which are 10 percent cabs or less quite freely - and mushrooms, and quorn which are fungii. I have frozen berries and vege mixes, the lowest carb ones I can find, to keep in the freezer for when needed. I usually have coleslaw in the fridge, and mayonnaise
I have various spices and herbs, flaxseed and mixed seeds and nuts, lightly ground - I use quite a bit of desiccated coconut too.
The only pulses I can eat even a small amount of are peas and green beans as they seem to punch above their weight, but that could be just my reaction to them rather than a universal rule.
The coffee percolator works hard, and I have various teas - I like mint and licorice together.
I am never at a loss for something to eat.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would second the suggestion of getting yourself a meter ( Tee2 or codefree seem to be most cost effectives ones in the UK) and using it in a very scientific way testing the effects individual foods / meals have on your sugars and in that way to find out what works for your body.

Edited - this is something i put up earler in answer to another post re testing with a meter - hope its helpful

There are a couple of different aspects to testing and the strategies to employ based on the results
1] pre and post meal results give you an idea as to whether or not a specific food / food combination spikes your sugars or not - spikes are to be avoided.

2j Overall control ( indicated by fasting BS, pre meal BS and random tests) - you want these to be within target at all times. Overall control for Type 2s in particular can be enhanced by lowering your total amount of carbs over a day - everyone differs in regard to how low they need to go, but starting at under 120g a day and working your way down until you see enough change is a good starting point

Last edited:

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get me wrong blood sugar levels have come right down and I’ve lost three stone but this is because I’m not eating anything.

Well done for getting your levels under control!

For some of us, it is natural immediately after diagnosis to view food as "the enemy." The diet advice you were given actually sounds very good. This is the "low-carb" option and is very similar to the rules I have been following since I was diagnosed. It is not the only option for dealing with T2D but it has been used successfully by many of us.

The advice by @sally and james to visit dietdoctor.com is excellent. There is also a "low carb" sub-forum here at diabetes.co.uk where you'll find recipes and advice.

The good news is that even after eliminating that huge list of common foods, there is lots of delicious stuff left over.

You have already done the essential thing, which is bringing your blood glucose levels down. Now you can have some fun with the low-carb cooking. It is not as hard as it looks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I eat lots of red meat and dairy, do you know why you were advised to avoid them?

Colin2903

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told to avoid dairy
I was told to avoid red meat and processed meat as being diabetic increases you chances of a heart attack and all of the above can also contribute
To be honest I have been told so many different things by different people it’s hard to know what to believe

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I look at things this way. If I eat bacon everyday or several times a day every day then it's not likely to do me any good. However if I eat it once a week or once every 2 weeks then I can't see how it's going to do me any harm.

I apply this to red meat and dairy. I don't eat them in huge quantities every day but I do eat them at some point in the week.

I also eat lots more fish since being diagnosed I'm even starting to like salads.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told to avoid dairy
I was told to avoid red meat and processed meat as being diabetic increases you chances of a heart attack and all of the above can also contribute
To be honest I have been told so many different things by different people it’s hard to know what to believe

It is extremely confusing, I agree. Even within a particular "route" (such as low-carb) there are all sorts of minefields, which I will elaborate on below. Not to mention what happens when people disagree about which "route" to take ("low carb" and "balanced diet" being the two main contenders in the "diabetes diet" arena).

My comments pertain only to low-carb, and specifically to a diet called "low-carb, high-fat" which some of us on this forum have used successfully to bring our blood glucose levels to good (non-diabetic) levels. Also, we are all different and I will be talking in generalities. If you want to know how these foods affect your body, use your own blood-glucose (BG) meter to test.
  • It is not unusual to be advised to avoid dairy, but only certain dairy products are high-carb. Milk is high-carb, but many other dairy products (butter, cheese, for instance) are not. You are being advised to avoid them mainly because many of these products are high in fat. Avoiding them will not lower your BG, although it may help you lose weight faster if that is your goal.
  • Red meat is zero-carb. You are being asked to avoid it because of the research showing that it can contribute to heart disease. Your doctors are assuming that because you have diabetes, you are more likely to develop heart disease, and should therefore avoid red meat, and fats in general. Cutting out red meat will make no difference in controlling BG.
  • In general, if you decide to go the "low-carb" route, education is the key. "Common sense" is not a terribly good guide in "guessing" which foods are high-carb, and which are not. Look them up on dietdoctor.com and/or test with your own BG meter.
For what it's worth, I ended up choosing a slightly different route: "low-carb, low-fat." After more than 30 years of a "low-fat" lifestyle and having been brainwashed into thinking that this was good for avoiding heart disease and obesity, I balked at really amping up the fat (and I find the taste of some full-fat foods quite gross, after years of conditioning). I do like red meat, but almost never eat it except when going to a restaurant or to someone else's home. So I simply dropped the carbs from my existing, already low-fat diet.

Edited to add: Your main goal is to avoid "diabetic complications." Heart disease is one of them. But if you can keep your BG consistently below diabetic levels, the diabetes-related heart disease complications are radically less likely to happen. Eating fats may be a contributor to heart disease and cardio-vascular issues in its own right, but that is another matter, and one that people debate with some passion on this forum.

Experiment, find your own way. That's the best way. (But also, initially, confusing and hard.)

Last edited:

AlexJD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Colin, just chipping in to share my experience. I’m a type 1 currently following a keto diet after following a low carb diet.

I would agree with the comments above. We all have that fear of food at some point, and what I would advise is find a diet which is known to be effective and reliable, and see positively all the things you can eat: for example the low carb programme on this website is very good, so I’d recommend giving it a go and seeing in a positive light everything you can have (as opposed to what you can’t), and then monitor your bg regularly to see how that works for you.

I’ve found that only for new diets or where little scientific studies have been made can’t we find much info. However low carb and many other diets are not like that, so you should be able to find a wealth of reliable information on what you can have (for example on this website and forum). Feel free to send me a message if you’ve got any specific questions.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Grateful