Surgery is backwards...

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it time some people took their GPs all the way to a professional misconduct hearing over this, as the rules say the GPs MUST provide online access to test results.....

I've looked but I can't find anything that says that this is the case in Wales. England yes.

Edited to say from My Health on Line. Nothing about test results. We are treated like morons over here.

>Once you've created an account you will be able to use the features your GP practice has made available, which may include:

• Book and cancel appointments
  • Request repeat prescriptions
  • Update personal information

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Don't be coming to Wales if you want your tests on line. All I can do on line is make appointments and order repeat prescriptions.

I can get my test results (oh what a frosty voice I got from the receptionist when I asked) but I have to pay 50p per page for them
50 p a page ! Oh crikey . My diabetic nurse prints results off . Online you can only see medication, book appointments and request repeat meds

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50 p a page ! Oh crikey . My diabetic nurse prints results off . Online you can only see medication, book appointments and request repeat meds

SHOCK!:) My dn wouldn't do things like this. Just imagine giving an intelligent adult things like a copy of their blood test results!!!!! :)TBH I just don't hink that it would occur to her that I'd be interested. At least it's only 50p. I was expecting the receptionist to say that I couldn't have them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I getting the feeling that each GP can decide how they configure the software to work......

No, they shouldnt.. there are basics that all GPs should give and now there are more available if GPs agree and explicit patients consent to them..

98% of GPs across England have the specified basic. summary care record..
And have the access to add further clinical information by simply changing the patients preferences in the GP system. This data can even show end of life preferences...

The receptionists can give the logins to give patients the basics which should be drugs, repeats, appointments, test results.. but additionally Patients can ask for more as well...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How does that work with online test results though? I doubt my GP has ever seen them before I get them online..
I’m sure my GP doesn’t look at my results before they appear on line, my last lot appeared late on a Sunday evening!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That is all I had at first, although there were tabs for test results, consultations and whatnot but nothing behind the tabs. I queried this and was told I had to register separately for test results etc. The initial registration just gave me the basics, but test results require a different consent form. It could just be that you haven't completed the right form and had it authorised by a GP. It may be worth while pursuing this. Once I completed the correct form and got authorisation, the relevant tabs on the on-line website worked and all my results were there.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be coming to Wales if you want your tests on line. All I can do on line is make appointments and order repeat prescriptions.

I can get my test results (oh what a frosty voice I got from the receptionist when I asked) but I have to pay 50p per page for them
I cant even make appointments on-line in Wrexham : (

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant even make appointments on-line in Wrexham : (

We used to be able to make appointments on line, but they stopped it, as patients were making unnecessary appointments. Now you have to ring up (fingers crossed you can get through) and tell the receptionist what your problem is.

morpheus123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We used to be able to make appointments on line, but they stopped it, as patients were making unnecessary appointments. Now you have to ring up (fingers crossed you can get through) and tell the receptionist what your problem is.
We have to ring up on the day to get appointments and hope that you a) get through and b) you can actually get said appointment. It's a farce!!! You can't even make an appointment after a doctor tells you to come back in a week etc. Really rubbish if you ask me

Mike

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

I would fight that, tgere are ways the doctors can manage that by only releasing so many appts for online bookings or blocking the specific people that are abusing it..

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
GPs are not allows to block people who book unneeded apointment. The issue is that often it is childen with colds etc with the sort of parents that will go to the news papers........

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How does that work with online test results though? I doubt my GP has ever seen them before I get them online..
Same. I think most gp surgeries have a duty doctor who authorised the blood results and that then triggers the release onto the patient system. Definitely wouldn't be released until authorised which is only a tick box thing. I'm working on a big new project linking primary and secondary care atm and blood monitoring is one of the areas we are looking at. Plus on a personal level because I have system access I could see my initial glucose results in real time but they weren't released to the patient system until after the doctor had rung me later that day. I think it's good that it's done like this it protects patients from seeing abnormal results before the dr has had a chance to look at them. The gp decides the action necessary not the lab the lab only makes suggestions

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same. I think most gp surgeries have a duty doctor who authorised the blood results and that then triggers the release onto the patient system.
I'm guessing that would only be when the results are outside the "normal"parameters otherwise its a huge waste of the doctor's time?

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm guessing that would only be when the results are outside the "normal"parameters otherwise its a huge waste of the doctor's time?
They do have to look at them all. The vast majority are indeed normal results but it takes literally a second or 2 to authorise a normal blood. If there's no exclamation mark it means all bloods on that test are normal and it just gets ticked as no action and released so not as onerous as it sounds. Think it sounds harder than it is. I do monitoring and have maybe 50 bloods a day to check. Takes about 15 minutes! So for a Dr maybe an hr a day?

Reactions: donnellysdogs

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They do have to look at them all. The vast majority are indeed normal results but it takes literally a second or 2 to authorise a normal blood. If there's no exclamation mark it means all bloods on that test are normal and it just gets ticked as no action and released so not as onerous as it sounds. Think it sounds harder than it is. I do monitoring and have maybe 50 bloods a day to check. Takes about 15 minutes! So for a Dr maybe an hr a day?

This is exactly why on-line results or print outs are so valuable and why we must all analyse them ourselves. There are no exclamation marks (in my case asterisks) for results within the norm but deteriorating and verging on being outside the norm. Doctors only get alerted to any already outside the norm. Just inside the norm or deteriorating is a valuable marker for us to know so preventative action can be taken before it is too late. My results appeared on-line last night at between 9pm and 10pm.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
So after my desmond course I found out my cholesterol levels (5.5) and also learnt about good and bad cholesterol so I went to my surgery to ask for a print out of my blood results... they can't give me these until they have the doctors permission - MY results! But yet it was ok for the receptionist to tell me over the phone I have diabetes..... more I think about it the more peeved I am getting. I can go back and collect them tomorrow but still... it all seems backwards to me!
Hi batgirl2708
Same here I've been phoning and calling in to surgery all week and I still have to wait until 5pm to call again to see if doctor has allowed me to have a copy of my fasting bloods. Absolutely Bull? We are supposed to have got government permission to access our records and tests talk about living in the dark ages. Will update later on when I find out his decision. K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is exactly why on-line results or print outs are so valuable and why we must all analyse them ourselves. There are no exclamation marks (in my case asterisks) for results within the norm but deteriorating and verging on being outside the norm. Doctors only get alerted to any already outside the norm. Just inside the norm or deteriorating is a valuable marker for us to know so preventative action can be taken before it is too late. My results appeared on-line last night at between 9pm and 10pm.
Lucky you @Bluetit1802 talk about banging your head they are passing the buck at my surgery doctor says see manager and manager says she will need to speak with doctor. Phoning all week still not got an answer,phoning again when she's spoken to doctor tonight around 5 pm. K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

its disgusting why the hell do you have to pay for this service? K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you requested to register for online results then you can get them without "bothering" your surgery at all.
Hi bulkbiker you would think after registering this would be possible but not with my doctors,I've been registered for months now and he still hasn't given permission for me to have a copy of my fasting bloods paperwork.
K