Normal food

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Does any1 on here eat normal food? Seems its all rabbit food people eat and weighing stuff out?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
:?

I eat plenty of 'normal' food........mind you it does depend on what you mean by 'normal ?'

I eat Steaks, Chicken, Fish, Vegetables, Fruit, Nuts, Cheese, Salad stuff etc. Small amounts of sweet things and snacks sometimes. Tea/ Coffee/Diet drinks/Red Wine/Beer.........ALL in moderation.
I don't know of any Rabbit that eats that sort of food...... :?:

Many of us myself included do count the carb content of meals etc.........only way to control your Diabetes I find. A Type 1 counting Carbs can usually end up using less Insulin, that has to be good. :)

I have no idea where you have been looking, it certainly isn't my experience and I am a well controlled Diabetic........Type 2.

Reactions: lorraine95

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are loads of recipes on this forum for `normal `food if you want to look .I certainly dont eat rabbit food
CAROL

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread will run and run and run and run...

Food I eat (including, but not limited to):

Fish
Meat
Veg
Cheese
Nuts
Berries
Seeds
Salad

Who's next?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I eat perfectly normal food thanks, just less of it than I used to, tonight I am cooking a beef and ale pie with a puff pastry top which I will eat with new potatoes, carrots and peas, probably follow it with an orange :D

Thats pretty normal isnt it?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch
Does the meat you eat include rabbit :?:
CAROL

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I eat fish, meat, eggs, cheese, plenty of veg, some fruit and even the very occasional chocolate ! :shock:

All normal foods. I do like salads but not all the time.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Just seems the post ive read people dont eat normally, like a few seeds/nuts as snacks using certain veg instead of pasta for main meals. Always looking at packaging, testing blood every few minutes. I just find that some people seem be obssessed by it! I remember once a while ago being in a supermarket toilet and a woman came in, went in2 a cubicle shouting out I cant shut the door im a diabetic, now thats a bit much I think!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sarah.
You are a T1 who obviously has to use Insulin. Maybe some of the things you see aren't 'normal' for you......they can be very 'normal' to others. I find it odd when people eat loads of crisps, sweets, chocolate and other things which are not only bad for a Diabetic when eaten to excess but are simply not healthy for anybody really. The foods that you mention can be healthy but we all need to know what affects our BG levels and the quantity that we can have without losing that all important Bg control.

I'm a T2 on Byetta and inject twice daily. I also test pre meal, for a base line and at least at 2 hrs after the meal to see if my Bg levels are doing what I want them to do...back down to pre meal levels. I don't test every few minutes, that would be wasteful and in most cases pointless. By testing in the way that I have described it allows me to keep tight control of my Bg levels throughout the day and night.

So, if you think my testing is obsessive........as a T1 do you not count carbs and adjust your Insulin dosage ? Not much difference there really. It isn't obsessive.......it is a necessary evil and I for one will continue to 'obsess' if it means I live a longer, healthier life........each to their own I suppose. :)

As for the Loo incident.........was it because she was too big to get in the cubicle :lol:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
No she was a normal size!!

I only test my blood before meals, never been told do otherwise. No I dont carb count cos apart from a potato i dont know what had carbs in them, again ive never been asked to do this. I use to gorge myself on chocolate, i couldnt live without it. Could live on it and eat nothing else for the rest of my life until i went in hospital with DKA in August. I had been in denial of my diabetes before this, as i have such a sweet tooth with no help for it anywhere, i wasnt prepared to change. But since the hosp visit ive almost cut chocolate out. In Jan my HBAC1 was abt 12, this month has gone down to 7. I just never hear people having take aways or eating things like sausages, curry's pies etc. I dont really enjoy savoury food, never eat fruit and fresh veg only once a week with a roast!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Sarah.
It is good that you are beginning to get a handle on things and getting those all important numbers down. From 12 down to 7 is a great result in anybody's book.

I am hoping a T1 will come along and maybe give you some better advice regarding carb counting and Insulin dose adjustment. It's sad that you have never been told about this.

There is a course available for T1's DAFNE......Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating. Maybe you should ask if you can go on one. Most T1's here say it is very informative and extremely helpful to them.

If you keep it quiet.........I have the odd Take away, Sausages, Curry and even one day a Steak and Kidney Pie.........don't tell anybody ! It hasn't killed me yet and my BG levels are well controlled, however as before it ALL has to be in moderation and I consider that sort of thing a treat. I even had one or two Choccie bars last week............(looks out for bolt of lightning) :shock:

I hope we get some more replies for you, you seem to have escaped the usual information that a T1 should be given.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Sarah,

As a fellow type 1 I find it necessary to weigh and count the carbs in my food to keep my blood glucose stable, my diet certainly isn't ''rabbit food'' and I enjoy bread, cereal and potato's on a daily basis, I just limit the portion size, choose low-gi versions where possible and match my insulin accordingly.

Personally a ''normal diet'' to me is one that is not too restrictive and includes plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, pulses, whole grains, lean meat and low-fat diary, and as much like non-diabetics we must eat in moderation and not over-indulge on food and alcoholic drinks (except at Christmas :wink: ).

To enable you to follow a ''normal diet'' and keep your bg tight, ask your dsn about DAFNE course's that might be running in your area.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat normal, natural, home prepared food. Yes a lot of it is greens, which I love, but none is "fast food" Which I consider to be mostly a waste of money.
Hana

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
carty said:
Does the meat you eat include rabbit
Not usually - because it's not easy to come by. But I've eaten Rabbit in the past, and I will again. I'm a big fan of game. I love Pigeon, and eat it whenever I can.

Why do you ask?

Dobbs

Patch said:
Fish
Meat
Veg
Cheese
Nuts
Berries
Seeds
Salad
Seems to me that's a pretty good basic food list for a diabetic. Plus you can add to it the occasional ANYTHING else - a bit of chocolate, the occasional bit of bread, a potato, the odd bit of rice or pasta etc. An occasional dessert, with cream. An alcoholic drink or two, most nights.
If you took Patch's list as your basic diet I would like to suggest you wouldn't go far wrong.
The point is that if you become diabetic you can't just eat "as normal", you have to rethink things. But this would be a really good starting point.
In my opinion.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is absolutely no reason for you to eat anything other than a healthy balanced diet. That includes starches (breads, potatoes pasta, pulses), fruits, vegs, meat and fish plus dairy.
To be healthy, just as with anyone else it isn't a good idea to eat lots of sugary sweets , biscuits and puddings, lots of ready meals,or lots of crisps, sausage rolls and pastries. However, the only thing you should probably avoid entirely (except for hypos) are sugary drinks like normal coke. As with anyone else, diabetic or not,for general health reasons its better to mainly choose whole grain starches (in bread, pasta, rice etc), and to eat your minimum of 5 portions of fruit and veg a day.
Like Nigel I also use the glycemic index to guide me on the type of starches for most meals.

if I go out to eat then I will sometimes splurge and eat a bit less healthily and adjust the insulin accordingly. Yesterday I had steak, chips, a salad, followed by a dessert of fresh fruit with a hot dark choc sauce to dip in. To to be honest, I probably less of the sauce than my husband did as I found I didn't actually want to eat a lot. I was able to avoid a high glucose level after that meal by dosing the right amount of insulin at the right time, but I wouldn't eat like that at every meal, I'd just get fat.
Weighing and knowing the carb content and knowing how to adjust insulin makes things easier, fewer shocks and roller coaster glucose levels. As you do it more, it becomes automatic and you can estimate quite well. The DAFNE course is well worth investigating.
I eat very well, including starchy carbs at most meals, I have good blood glucose levels, yes I eat salads but I also eat many things that rabbits don't eat :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch
Just me being obtuse.Rabbit food Rabbit as food :roll:
CAROL

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanx for your replies. Perhaps I need to be re-educated about diabetes. I have had it 13 years maybe longer and only really have started taking notice of it since Aug. I know nothing about glycemic index, altering my insulin in fact not much at all I think its due to the fact of denial and just not listening to any1. I never eat any of the 5 a day fruit and veg. Cant remember the last time I actually ate any fruit!! Just dont like it much. I am on novorapid twice a day injections but am going back to 4 a day, so if I want I can skip meals.