Living Better with Diabetes!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your opportunity to discuss and talk freely about your diabetes...

How do you cope living with diabetes?

Who is your go-to-person?

How did it change your life?

What are your short / long term goals?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you cope living with Diabetes?

Living with diabetes is a 24 hour full time job, sometimes difficult, and always a balancing act but manageable. I put my nutrition needs first, regular exercise is also important. I manage my condition by holding myself accountable: for what I eat, how well I take control, how often I check my blood glucose levels etc.

Who is your go-to-person?

My go-to person in this forum is “himtoo”. He’s been my guardian angel and like a big brother, very supportive, helpful, advisor, understanding, and an excellent moderator.

How did it change your life?

My life has absolutely changed since my diagnosis. I adopted low carb high fat diet (LCHF), cook my own food, no more junk food or take aways and exercise more often. I’m much more aware of the nuances of nutrition labels and how to adjust recipes. I’m much more careful in what foods I put on my table!

Short Term Goals

To maintain excellent blood glucose levels and control.

Long Term Goals

Living with Diabetes doesn’t have to be a death sentence. Patience, determination, control are all necessary to manage this condition.

To improve my A1c from 6.4% to at least non-diabetic level.

Last edited:

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been pretty good maintaining my levels but although I'm a T2 I'm on insulin so can't aim for the non-diabetic range as this could be dangerous I believe. Happy to maintain my bloods around 6. I put on a heap of weight through using a fast acting insulin to support my naughty eating for the past few months. However, I'm currently doing a 14 day high fat and very low carb diet which has brought everything into line. On vlc I have to reduce my daily insulin and wish I could maintain this when I go back up to 25 carbs daily but know I shall have to go back up. Ah well. Off to look for yummy low carb recipes!

Btw we eat little processed food, only use natural unprocessed fats, olive oil and avocado oil and certainly feel the better for it.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How do I cope..I am not on drugs, I rely on diet and exercise, which works great for me. I believe like Dr Richard Bernstein that I am entitled to normal BG levels, and that is where I aim my efforts.. Its become part of me now. I understand food macro values and make good choices. I cook well, and can tweak recipes to comply with my desired carb values.
My problem is my meters. I aim for BG readings, of between 4.4 - 4.8 I use the SD code free, when codefree gives me those values I have headaches. I started using two meters, I got a careSens duo, to check for accuracy, and it reads one whole mmol/L unit less than code free. I never know which to trust.
I haven't bothered with a Hba1c in ages. I have a blood disorder, which makes them innacurate for me.
I do HIIT 5 days a week, and eat no more than 20g carb a day, but will go in soon to ask for kidney checks and cholesterol checks. I do the retina screening and all is well.
Long term, my aim is to maintain my current BG levels which range from 3.4 - 4.8mmol/L without medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be coping very well, but I have to rely on myself to keep everything on the right track - and I am never again going to be the person who takes the diet sheet and sighs 'oh all right then, but it isn't going to work - I keep telling you I can't eat carbs, and you tell me it is essential to have a balanced diet.'
I don't really have goals, life is too short to direct it into narrow channels - I prefer a sea of possibilities and to use the wind and tide as I find them on the day.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosis (roughly 10 years ago) to me wasn’t a big deal. I always felt good but was slowly gaining weight. I saw the diabetes dietician and started following the “Recommended diet.” My numbers did improve and I did lose weight. However over time, the better numbers gave me a false impression that all was good so the lousy foods worked their way back into my diet. My weight started to go up and my numbers got worse.

My dietician again commented on my numbers and said if they didn’t come down my Dr would more than likely put me on meds. Now I’m the type of person that believes the medical system is basically a dealer for big pharma so I always look for a non medical alternative. Any of the people I know with type2 happily drink the koolaid spouted by their Dr or dietician and say “they know best” as they are medical professionals and have lots of education. And they happily take more and more meds. They say I’m not type2 as I don’t take meds as it is a chronic disease and my high fat diet will give me a heart attack!

After doing plenty of my own reading of studies and actually using the information I garnered, I have successfully thwarted meds for over 10 years. If my Dr or dietician see my numbers creeping up they know that they will be down on my following test. I even go as far as to make bets with them. If they say they won’t improve much I take up the challenge just to prove I can do it and I always do.

My last Hba1c was 5.8 (40) but my cholesterol numbers were rubbish so my Dr suggested a statin which I quickly refused. I said I would lower the LDL and raise my HDL. He told me it would take a long time to do. I guess he has never seen the work of David Feldman and I plan on doing the 3 Day protocol before my next blood work. I did manage at my last dietician consult get her interested in the work of Dr Jason Fung she is going to read the “Obesity Code” because in her words, “I’m a dietician yet I’m clinically obese, dieting never works for me so keep doing what you are doing, it works.”

I don’t have a go to person just this forum which I think is much better as there are always different opinions to consider. One opinion really isn’t ever enough. Coming here daily there is always links to articles and the latest research and that is what keeps me focused on doing right by me. Nobody can look after my health but me. I need to make informed decisions with the most knowledge I can obtain. I get that here in bushels.

janrat68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how do i cope now im a lot more confident in my abities than last may still learning not perfect still have the odd hiccup when it comes to eating who i go to no one really on here i just read and reseach and try different things this forum as helped to go from oh woe his me to accepting that its part of who i am now how it changed my life was to forcus on my health and eating right getting over my phobia of using my meter etc short term goals are to keep inproving my health over all dont have any long term goals as i just live day to day

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I cope living with diabetes?
I don't. Diabetes lives with me.

Who is my go to person?
Me. No one understands my diabetes like me.

How did it change my life?
For the better.

Short term goals?
Wake up tomorrow morning.

Long term goals?
Wake up tomorrow morning and maybe post something on the forum that helps someone.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosis (roughly 10 years ago) to me wasn’t a big deal. I always felt good but was slowly gaining weight. I saw the diabetes dietician and started following the “Recommended diet.” My numbers did improve and I did lose weight. However over time, the better numbers gave me a false impression that all was good so the lousy foods worked their way back into my diet. My weight started to go up and my numbers got worse.

My dietician again commented on my numbers and said if they didn’t come down my Dr would more than likely put me on meds. Now I’m the type of person that believes the medical system is basically a dealer for big pharma so I always look for a non medical alternative. Any of the people I know with type2 happily drink the koolaid spouted by their Dr or dietician and say “they know best” as they are medical professionals and have lots of education. And they happily take more and more meds. They say I’m not type2 as I don’t take meds as it is a chronic disease and my high fat diet will give me a heart attack!

After doing plenty of my own reading of studies and actually using the information I garnered, I have successfully thwarted meds for over 10 years. If my Dr or dietician see my numbers creeping up they know that they will be down on my following test. I even go as far as to make bets with them. If they say they won’t improve much I take up the challenge just to prove I can do it and I always do.

My last Hba1c was 5.8 (40) but my cholesterol numbers were rubbish so my Dr suggested a statin which I quickly refused. I said I would lower the LDL and raise my HDL. He told me it would take a long time to do. I guess he has never seen the work of David Feldman and I plan on doing the 3 Day protocol before my next blood work. I did manage at my last dietician consult get her interested in the work of Dr Jason Fung she is going to read the “Obesity Code” because in her words, “I’m a dietician yet I’m clinically obese, dieting never works for me so keep doing what you are doing, it works.”

I don’t have a go to person just this forum which I think is much better as there are always different opinions to consider. One opinion really isn’t ever enough. Coming here daily there is always links to articles and the latest research and that is what keeps me focused on doing right by me. Nobody can look after my health but me. I need to make informed decisions with the most knowledge I can obtain. I get that here in bushels.
Any links please to the three day protocol you mentioned? I’m under threat of statins because of increase and would love to know what to do before my test if it could help. Hoping you can help

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Any links please to the three day protocol you mentioned? I’m under threat of statins because of increase and would love to know what to do before my test if it could help. Hoping you can help

@shelley262 Dave Feldman at LCDU. He gives a great presentation on cholesterol. Here’s a link.

The three days leading up to his cholesterol test he ingested huge amounts of saturated fat. He averages 5000 calories while maintaining keto. He then did the usual 12hr fast before the blood draw and his HDL increased and his LDL went very low. Seeing what he did I think I will try it

He states that out of 23 people that did it, there was a 100% success rate. Enjoy.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 Dave Feldman at LCDU. He gives a great presentation on cholesterol. Here’s a link.

The three days leading up to his cholesterol test he ingested huge amounts of saturated fat. He averages 5000 calories while maintaining keto. He then did the usual 12hr fast before the blood draw and his HDL increased and his LDL went very low. Seeing what he did I think I will try it

He states that out of 23 people that did it, there was a 100% success rate. Enjoy.
Sounds great will look forward to listening to this and taking his advice especially as I will be having my cholesterol test in a few months and before my diabetic test as they were so concerned about my cholesterol having risen so much even though my hbac1 had gone down so much a big thank you

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What usual 12 hour fast before having blood taken?
I have never fasted before any of the tests I have had. I was always told that it didn't matter.

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What usual 12 hour fast before having blood taken?
I have never fasted before any of the tests I have had. I was always told that it didn't matter.

I guess it depends on where you live and what the Dr or lab requires. Kind of hard to have fasting blood glucose taken if you just ate.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I manage my diabetes with several tablets daily ..by exercising a bit more ..and I now eat ✻responsibly✻

My go-to-person is a HCP ..but my visits to the clinic are only ever ✻routine✻

Diabetes has changed my life because it is a serious matter.

My aspiration is to keep my diabetes in a ✻holding pattern✻

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I feel I must point out that some people struggle with Diabetes. They sometimes suffer complications, depression and a lack of support IRL. While having a positive mental attitude is a great attribute sometimes life can jump up and kick you in the teeth.
I now have four health conditions and have to juggle them and make decisions that, frankly, I would rather not have to make and so I have had to become realistic about the future and it ain't gonna be no bed o roses.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your opportunity to discuss and talk freely about your diabetes...

1) How do you cope living with diabetes?

2) Who is your go-to-person?

3) How did it change your life?

4) What are your short / long term goals?

1) How do I cope living with Diabetes? I plan ahead, always know what I’ll be eating a week ahead and shop accordingly. As time has gone by I’ve learned to be a bit more flexible and can accommodate a spur of the moment coffee shop invite! If we’re eating out I search the internet for restaurant menus beforehand and always have a plan A and plan B!
2) I have a few go to people. My family, hubby and two grown up children who listen patiently to my never ending facts about my blood sugar numbers and weight. One of my closest friends who not diabetic herself always shows an interest in my diabetic journey and when we’re out for lunch insists on eating the same as me so I don’t feel like the odd one out. Then of course all my virtual friends here.
3) How did it change my life? Actually for the better! I have lost 5 stone in weight, normalised my bp and found some relief from my arthritis, partly via weight loss and partly I believe from the anti inflammatory effect of low carbing, as it’s not just my weight bearing joints that have improved.
4) Short term goals are to recover from my recent foot surgery and get walking and swimming again.
Medium term, to carry on losing weight and get to a healthy BMI during 2018
Long term, to maintain, a healthy weight and HbA1c for as long as I can.
Thanks for this post @NewTD2, it’s made me appreciate how much I’ve achieved since diagnosis and redoubled my determination to carry on trying x

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t ‘cope’ with diabetes, I just live my life and forget I have it most of the time.
I don’t need go to people, they come to me! The forum and Google are all I need.
The only thing I changed was to stop eating carbs.
I have no goals but dying old and quick is a good idea.