Does your diabetes nurse weigh you regularly?

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes mine does when I have an appt. so at the mometn its every 3 months.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get weighed whenever I have my diabetic review (which currently is once a year).

Also when I had to visit the respiratory dept of my local hospital (for a persistent cough a year or so ago) I got weighed every time I went for an appointment as well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be weighed at every review with my diabetes nurse, but that was when I was over weight. Once I had lost all my weight she stopped because she could see just by looking at me that I was a good weight. She also used to measure my waist, but that also stopped at the same time.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only get seen yearly and wasn't weighed last time.. but yes I was on the visit before

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get weighed at my diabetes review in the endocrine clinic which is yearly

D

Deleted Account

I get weighed on every diabetes review which is every year.
As my weight is in the "acceptable range" (BMI about 22), I think this is just a box ticking exercise as it is never commented on.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the diabetic nurse weighs me each time I go. Last two visits I got diverted to the GP and he didn't weigh me either time. He did "inform" me that I hadn't lost a lot of weight (I think he was looking for type 1 symptoms), so obviously I look like I'm the consistent weight I've been for 4 years :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP weighs me at each review. I’ve been way too heavy for years and years. I used to hate it when the scales came out before my diabetes diagnosis, now as I’m losing weight I love it when he weighs me :happy:

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been weighed by the nurse but maybe that is because I have never been overweight so she is happy with the way I am

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have been weighed at every review even though I have never been overweight.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m weighed every 6 months as part of my diabetic reviews, along with blood pressure and blood taking. Like @Rachox i used to hate being placed on the naughty step but much happier since I’m now an acceptable weight! Think it’s standard at my surgery. My OH has blood pressure reviews and is also weighed at that and he’s always been low normal weight!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Every appointment. And my bmi is listed in every letter reporting the appointment. I suspect there are two reasons for it. Firstly to make them poke me with a stick if I'm getting too large and secondly to check I'm not underweight and maybe in the diabulemia category.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have only seen a nurse once since dx last June and she did not weigh me. Nobody has mentioned a return visit, although I did have an hbalc recently. As that was ok the receptionist said I didn't need to see anyone, so I suppose no weigh in until my hbalc goes up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only seen a nurse once since dx last June and she did not weigh me. Nobody has mentioned a return visit, although I did have an hbalc recently. As that was ok the receptionist said I didn't need to see anyone, so I suppose no weigh in until my hbalc goes up.

Are you on any meds? What was your HbA1c? Have you had a foot check? Have you had your retinal screening? Have you been invited to an education course? Were your cholesterol, lipids, liver and kidney functions within standard? Sorry for all the questions, but you really should have had an appointment with a nurse/GP by now.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, every time I visit, which is quarterly, unless I ask for an extra visit. I weigh within a pound or three of 12st 4lbs everytime. At 6' 1" this gives me a NHS calculated BMI of 22.6 - pretty well where it should be. I know this is an extremely crude measure, but I can still see my toes without having to bend over or sit down.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you on any meds? What was your HbA1c? Have you had a foot check? Have you had your retinal screening? Have you been invited to an education course? Were your cholesterol, lipids, liver and kidney functions within standard? Sorry for all the questions, but you really should have had an appointment with a nurse/GP by now.

Hello, and thanks for the concern!. I am on metformin. My last hbalc was 36. I was dx because of carpel tunnel syndrome led to as blood test. The gp phoned me to say I was also hypothyroid, there was a prescription waiting for me at reception and by the way, see the practice nurse. So a month later I saw the practice nurse who told me I was t2d and gave me metformin. She did a foot check, but forgot to order the retinopathy check. If it had not been for this forum I would never have known about it.
My cholesterol was done last year with the original test.
I asked to go on a course and have just started xpert.
Kidneys test done at same time, all ok.
No idea about liver.
Have never seen a gp about any of it.
Its impossible to get an appointment.
This forum has quite literally been a life saver.