Now That Christmas Is Over

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I had a great xmas, I ate a few mince pies some sausage rolls, two portions of Christmas pudding, cheese & biscuits and even for the first time in a couple of years, more Cadbury's Heroes than where good for my bg levels and my waist line :roll:

The aftermath has left me 5lb heavier than I was xmas eve so no more snacks and treats for me for a couple of weeks :oops:

Anyone else over indulge? If so how do you plan on getting back on track?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
SNAP........ :lol:

Me too Sid. 5 lbs seems to be the same for me. Just planning on getting back into the normal routine because I know that I will be able to lose those few extra pounds. Started already.

Life is for living and enjoying.......!! Fretting because a level went up a point or two, you added a few pounds maybe is just a minor hiccup in a Diabetic year. There are many many more days that will count for more. Look at the 'big picture.' :D

The odd treat or lapse, 'falling off the wagon' is just that a one off. It's when it becomes a habit I would start to worry !

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please can I have the 10 lbs that you have gained between you. I am nearly at 45k but still eating as much carbless calories as possible.
Just had scrambled egg with double cream 2 rashers of bacon for lunch b reakfast was as much cheese as you can fit onto a slice of burgen bread toasted full fat yoghurt with walnuts and cinnamon .so as you can see I am trying hard
CAROL

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I must hold my hand up to indulging in a little extra culinary delights and more that a little extra 'Lizzies' (Elizabeth 8% Ale by Harveys), and as they arrive in packs of 24, having just the one can be a tad difficult :lol:

Dippy3103

I gave myself three days "off". I havn't weighed myself. I have my annual check on 13 Jan and hope that being back on the plan for a few weeks by then will undo most of the damage.
Damage limitation being the name of the game.

PickledPepper

I too indulged for a few days. I checked my levels quite frequently throughout and never got anything over the limits thankfully. Had home made chips after almost a year and loved it! Noted it didn't whack up my bs levels as carbs used to. Overall my carb tolerance seems to have improved and I even managed to get a few butter shortbread biscuits down me without too much of a spike.

That brings me to my next question regarding the effects of fat on diabetics? In my quest to cut down on carbs I seem to have upped on fats as replacement. I never used to eat this much fats prior to diagnosis.

I did have a high Cholesterol level (7s) which I brought down with statins (to 4.6). Since I stopped with the simvastatin I have been drinking green tea and having half a grapefruit regularly to try and counter balance my fat intake.

I guess I'll get to see the effects of this 'experiment' on my next blood test due in a few months?

No serious weight gain to report.

DazG

Christmas day in this house was renamed Potato Day.

I had them mashed with cream, butter and black pepper and roasted in beef dripping and goose fat, they were delicious. I didn't test as I didn't need a machine to tell me I had overdone it. Dinner was finished off with a mouth watering strawberry compote trifle, that was heaven.

Apart from that I was quite good, had a few after eights last night but thats it, no weight gain and blood sugars back to normal.

Cant wait for next Christmas :lol:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I indulged more than last year - maybe that is because I am more confident now - was only 6 months in last Christmas - my numbers stayed pretty good never went above 8 and that was after a much thought about mince pie ( 3 days in the planning :lol: )- which in the end I didn't really enjoy - it was far too sweet and I used to love them too!

My big indulgence has been choccies from hotel chocolat -a gift from my hubby - a range called less sweet - they have less sugar and no nasty sweeteners - also some dark choc chilli penguins - I loved those!! - also got me some 100% - havent tried that yet - I don't have a big sweet tooth so my sellection should last me a few weeks.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I had some treats - Christmas Pud with brandy butter, panettone, cassata and other icecreams. My weight has remained stable which I am pleased about. But my sugars still haven't recovered and gone down to pre-Christmas levels. I seem to have mucked up all the control I had before. I thought they should go down immediately after "going on the wagon" but they haven't. And we have saved the other Christmas Pud and the other panettone for New Year so it's going to get even worse. :(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think I must have been lucky Daisy as I went to my MIL's xmas eve and came home via my eldest sons on boxing day and purposely forgot to take my meter :wink: On arriving home after a long drive I recorded a 4.7 which is the lowest reading I've had since coming off insulin last year although lunch at my sons was a cold plater and I did avoid the mashed potato 8) I guess I just ate too much of everything else and drank too much Cava xmas day :lol:

Still, glad to hear I am not alone in enjoying the festivities :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thought I might have put mega amounts of weight on over the holiday period but to my surprise it was just 1lb, but have to say with the snow clearing I have been back to walking the dog a lot further and this no doubt help the situation.

Sid, as someone who has come a long way recently in improving your health I am sure you will have this weight off in no time! :)

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Happy New Year everyone. :D

I'm on day 2 of my self imposed detox.

No booze for at least the month of January. I'll see how I feel after a month, might keep it going another month or two to give my liver time to rejuvinate itself. :wink:

My diet is very similar to Atkins now, with plenty of water, walnuts, almomds, pink grapefruit, lemons, apples & peperami's. Yes I know Peperami's are full of junk, but its my one little craving I cannot give up. :oops:

On 01/01/11 I tipped the scales at 18 stone :shock: so my target for 2011 is to get my weight down to 15 stone before my 50th birthday in October.

My maxim for 2011 is "Fit at Fifty"

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Just going back to the "after Xmas" - My weight gain was more to do with getting very upset, frustrated and somewhat depressed due to the chaos with the flights situation. My daughter soo wanted my to go over to hers in Ireland but wasn't happy with the prospects of being held up either on the coach or at the airport especially as I have a very bad back and from my experience last year no help was given at all. Everytime I made up my mind to postpone, my daughter would give me more advice on what to do and how much they were looking forward to my visit! Unfortunately ended up getting into such a tiswas that I did a bit of binging and put on 4lb. Thankfully, I have now lost two of those and have arranged my visit for the 26th of this month.

Happy New Year to one and all!!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Been bad!

I have come here to share my guilt - I have to confess that I have eaten forbidden fruits over Christmas, not all at once I hasten to add, but I have had at least two mince pies, a slice of French Apple Tart for dessert on Christmas Day, and random chocolates, some dark - some not! My conscience is now pricking me (serve you right I here you mutter) and I need to offload, though I do not expect sympathy, I am perhaps looking for some empathy :roll:

Come on people, be honest, did you manage to resist temptation? Looking to hear from other people who have fallen off the wagon, well not fallen off exactly, more like had a little dangle over the edge :D Now I have to get back on.....sigh. :wink:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
which in the end I didn't really enjoy - it was far too sweet and I used to love them too!
You have a point, they did taste far too sweet so I guess I did not enjoy them, except for the dark choc Hotel Chocolat chocs my husband bought, now they were quite delicious.

Not weighed myself, but lost 5lbs pre-Christmas with a really nasty sickness bug, so hoping not too bad :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Been bad!

HpprKM said:
I have come here to share my guilt - I have to confess that I have eaten forbidden fruits over Christmas, not all at once I hasten to add, but I have had at least two mince pies, a slice of French Apple Tart for dessert on Christmas Day, and random chocolates, some dark - some not! My conscience is now pricking me (serve you right I here you mutter) and I need to offload, though I do not expect sympathy, I am perhaps looking for some empathy :roll:

Come on people, be honest, did you manage to resist temptation? Looking to hear from other people who have fallen off the wagon, well not fallen off exactly, more like had a little dangle over the edge :D Now I have to get back on.....sigh. :wink:

There's no need to feel guilty about a little indulgence, everyone falls off the wagon occasionally and Christmas is a prime example, personally I don't do guilt and openly admit that I indulge on more than one occasion throughout the year when celebrating with family. Diabetes is hard enough without beating ourselves up every-time we let slip! :)

Nigel

Jim H

Twas the week after Christmas (well kind of)

I was sent this by e-mail this time last year. I thought it was very good. I think it's appropriate to post it now.

Week after Christmas

Twas the week after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.
The cookies I'd nibble, the eggnog I'd taste
All the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales, there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvellous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared...

The wine and the rumballs, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."
As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to battle the dirt...
I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter dressed like a man!"
So...away with the last of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
'Till all the additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie, not even a lick,
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or scones, or a pie,
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.
I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...

But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot

Happy New Years to All and to All a Good Diet ...

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.