Lidl rolls

Mel83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a very disgruntled ex customer of Lidl since they discontinued their protein rolls. In true sod's law style I was previously living far away from my nearest Lidl so had to make a special visit just to buy them, now that I've moved and there's a store just over the road they go and do this!!!!!

As a former Carb Queen who adores bread I'm now on the hunt for any low carb bread and saw in another post that there is a Polish bread which is low carb. Does anyone know where I can buy this please!!! Appreciate any help in my quest.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used google and looked for Polish delicatessen - and there is one just along the road from me - not called 'Polish' but the name of the locality.
The bread is not so bready as the Lidl rolls, and it is more expensive - but it is low carb.
When put into the toaster it smells like cake - and doesn't brown, but it is warm and - interesting.
I am thinking that I should really try making some of the many recipes available - I have quite a bit of stuff to bake with now -

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used google and looked for Polish delicatessen - and there is one just along the road from me - not called 'Polish' but the name of the locality.
The bread is not so bready as the Lidl rolls, and it is more expensive - but it is low carb.
When put into the toaster it smells like cake - and doesn't brown, but it is warm and - interesting.
I am thinking that I should really try making some of the many recipes available - I have quite a bit of stuff to bake with now -
Interesting Resurgam. What is the bread called?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
It’s not too bad making one’s own bread.
This is what I made yesterday and it’s much more like real bread.
I don't use salt because of Conn's syndrome so you would have to add it if you wished.

Low carb bread
Made in a Panasonic bread maker

1 sachet of dried Yeast.
1 teaspoon of sugar
300 mils of warm, but not hot, water
Pour all together in measuring jug, stir and leave until yeast working

Beat two large free range eggs in mug

Dry ingredients:
160 grms Wheat Gluten flour
60 grms of ground Almonds
25 grms Jumbo oats
50 grms of Soya flour
15grms Wheat bran
55 grms ground Linseed

Mix well together in large bowl

Add the two beaten eggs

At this point add olive oil or coconut oil or both in equal portions.
If just Olive oil, 4 table spoons full.

Add the yeast water mix and mix well

Put mix in bread maker, push stiff mix down round paddle with spatula and set on 5. (stand, mix, rise and bake, total three hours)

If you are using an oven: the bread has to be kneaded well on a board and possibly cut into ten sections to make rolls and left to rise in a warm place. Then the rolls are placed in an oven at the correct temperature until ready.

I cut the bread into ten slices and calculate there is less than 6 grams of carb/slice. Each slice weighs c.75grams.
The bread is very filling.
regards
Derek

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a very disgruntled ex customer of Lidl since they discontinued their protein rolls. In true sod's law style I was previously living far away from my nearest Lidl so had to make a special visit just to buy them, now that I've moved and there's a store just over the road they go and do this!!!!!

As a former Carb Queen who adores bread I'm now on the hunt for any low carb bread and saw in another post that there is a Polish bread which is low carb. Does anyone know where I can buy this please!!! Appreciate any help in my quest.

HI, i am also a disgruntled ex-lidl's roll eater. i looked on the forum and saw a couple of alternatives suggested, one available at waitrose and one apparently at sainsbury's called something like hi-lo (can't remember exactly, and can no longer find the relevant post). as my local supermarket is a sainsbury's i went to look for it, but they'd never heard of it - however, i spotted a hovis seeded bread which is advertised as low carb (roughly 9g a slice). i have tried it once or twice and it seems to be fine - i had brunch this morning of avocado, a slice of this bread with smoked salmon, cucumber and lettuce, also a couple of pieces of cheese and some tomatoes, finished off with a quarter apple, some blueberries and some almonds with full fat yoghurt, and my post-meal level was 6.5, which i'm very happy with. and this bread is actually nicer than the lidl rolls, tastes like proper bread. i don't particularly want to eat lots of it, but it's really useful to be able to make myself a sandwich every now and then without sending my levels sky-high :) (cf. the lidl 'low gi' rolls - 9.5 after eating one of them!)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KathyCP do you have a Waitrose near you? They do a low carb loaf called Livlife seeded bread. The slices are smaller than normal but at 3.8g of carb per slice I’m happy. I’ve tried it twice toasted and hot buttered and I found it delicious! Just an idea

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

I've found Morrison's protein bread brilliant. My problem is i live 4hrs from the nearest one. I feel for you.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

I've found Morrison's protein bread brilliant. My problem is i live 4hrs from the nearest one. I feel for you.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Morrisons profile bread only seems to be available on line in my area
CAROL

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My main issue is the "a slice" rating.

The Lidl roll was about 9 grams of carbs per 100 grams and the roll weighed around 100 grams.
{checks roll from bread bin - 80 grams!}

This can make a very satisfying and filling sandwich.

A Hovis Lower Carb loaf at 9 grams per slice is 18 grams per sandwich.

Assuming it is this https://www.hovis.co.uk/our-range/Lower-Carb# then it is 27.2 grams carbohydrate per 100 grams.

Still around half of standard breads but quite carby. It may be within the tolerances of your body but it is still pushing the envelope a bit. Quick dodgy sum says that each slice weighs around 33 grams so you get more bulk for your buck with the Lidl rolls.

I think we need to keep on whingeing at Lidl to keep the pressure up.

Anyone who hasn't signed https://www.change.org/p/lidl-lidl-to-return-protein-rolls-to-their-bakery-department is encouraged to do so.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

At 28.1 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams this is much the same as the Hovis Lower Carbohydrate bread.

Reactions: Freema

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My main issue is the "a slice" rating.

The Lidl roll was about 9 grams of carbs per 100 grams and the roll weighed around 100 grams.
{checks roll from bread bin - 80 grams!}

This can make a very satisfying and filling sandwich.

A Hovis Lower Carb loaf at 9 grams per slice is 18 grams per sandwich.

Assuming it is this https://www.hovis.co.uk/our-range/Lower-Carb# then it is 27.2 grams carbohydrate per 100 grams.

Still around half of standard breads but quite carby. It may be within the tolerances of your body but it is still pushing the envelope a bit. Quick dodgy sum says that each slice weighs around 33 grams so you get more bulk for your buck with the Lidl rolls.

I think we need to keep on whingeing at Lidl to keep the pressure up.

Anyone who hasn't signed https://www.change.org/p/lidl-lidl-to-return-protein-rolls-to-their-bakery-department is encouraged to do so.
I agree - another member posted about Kingsmill No Crusts: the carb count is 9.5g per slice for the white (the wholemeal is 7.4g/slice, which Morrisons didn't have). Looking at the white loaf the slices looked insubstantial and I reckon I would have eaten quite a few to feel as satisfied as a Lidl roll. But they may be ok for others who have more self-control!
@Mel83 - the bread you may be thinking of is Chleb Wysokobialkowy High Protein Bread (it has a yellow wrapper?) which was posted by another member. You could have three/four slices of this for a really good carb count - four was just a bit more than the Lidl roll, I think. I couldn't find it in the two Eastern European food shops here but if you live near a large town/city you might be lucky.

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@KathyCP do you have a Waitrose near you? They do a low carb loaf called Livlife seeded bread. The slices are smaller than normal but at 3.8g of carb per slice I’m happy. I’ve tried it twice toasted and hot buttered and I found it delicious! Just an idea

thanks for the tip - my nearest waitrose is quite far away, but i do make a trip there every now and then to stock up on pickled gherkins made without sugar - they're the only supermarket i know (other than the polish ones - again, none nearby) that have them. so on my next gherkin run i'll look for the bread and try it.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree - another member posted about Kingsmill No Crusts: the carb count is 9.5g per slice for the white (the wholemeal is 7.4g/slice, which Morrisons didn't have). Looking at the white loaf the slices looked insubstantial and I reckon I would have eaten quite a few to feel as satisfied as a Lidl roll. But they may be ok for others who have more self-control!
@Mel83 - the bread you may be thinking of is Chleb Wysokobialkowy High Protein Bread (it has a yellow wrapper?) which was posted by another member. You could have three/four slices of this for a really good carb count - four was just a bit more than the Lidl roll, I think. I couldn't find it in the two Eastern European food shops here but if you live near a large town/city you might be lucky.

Chleb Wysokobialkowy is Polish for "High Protein", so not a brand name.

I've checked around here and the local Polish shops get their bread from London and I think the High Protein one is baked in Southampton.

Reactions: dbr10

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something new in Morrisons: Broghies. Made in Co. Kildare by a Canadian company, with English and Erse on the packet. They have 4.4g carbs, no sugar, 19 cals, low fat, low sodium, per wafer/cracker thingy which is about the size and shape of a saucer and is made of just wheat and salt. Quite nice with a bit of Brie but I'm not sure what else you could use them for - an ersatz Yorkshire pud (with apologies to Yorkshire!)? Not very clear piccies on the packet show them filled with a fried egg, or raspberries, cream (ice cream?) and choc drizzle. They don't have that 'fillability' of The Rolls but if you can tolerate wheat, they'd possibly make a change?

Reactions: AdamJames

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Asda are currently doing the 800g Burgen Soya and Linseed bread for £1 (11g carb per slice )

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something new in Morrisons: Broghies. Made in Co. Kildare by a Canadian company, with English and Erse on the packet. They have 4.4g carbs, no sugar, 19 cals, low fat, low sodium, per wafer/cracker thingy which is about the size and shape of a saucer and is made of just wheat and salt. Quite nice with a bit of Brie but I'm not sure what else you could use them for - an ersatz Yorkshire pud (with apologies to Yorkshire!)? Not very clear piccies on the packet show them filled with a fried egg, or raspberries, cream (ice cream?) and choc drizzle. They don't have that 'fillability' of The Rolls but if you can tolerate wheat, they'd possibly make a change?

These sound interesting. I couldn't see what they looked like on Morrisons website, I presume these are the things:

https://d.facebook.com/BroghiesUK/?__tn__=C-R

I'll keep a look out next time I'm at Morrisons, thanks for the heads-up.