Type 2 Type 2 and hypos?

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I often get dizzy, have cold sweats, need to lay down then be sick.
After laying down & being sick I feel almost immediately better?
My diabetic nurse says it sounds like a hypo but it can't be as I'm type 2?
I have slowly gotten my numbers down from around 26.9 down to around 5.5 - 10, I know I still got work to do but going in the right direction?
I have kept food diarys but there is no pattern of food that causes this?
I take 4 x 500g of metformin daily,
Has anyone else had this?
What was the outcome?
What did you do to stop it?
Thank you in advance!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you taken your blood sugar when you feel like this? That’s the only way to know if you’re having a hypo. Having said that hypos are extremely unlikely on just Metformin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I often get dizzy, have cold sweats, need to lay down then be sick.
After laying down & being sick I feel almost immediately better?
My diabetic nurse says it sounds like a hypo but it can't be as I'm type 2?
I have slowly gotten my numbers down from around 26.9 down to around 5.5 - 10, I know I still got work to do but going in the right direction?
I have kept food diarys but there is no pattern of food that causes this?
I take 4 x 500g of metformin daily,
Has anyone else had this?
What was the outcome?
What did you do to stop it?
Thank you in advance!

Hi, that is as near to my story as is possible without the taking of readings with the symptoms. But I think it is false hypos you are having. That is when your blood glucose levels drop quickly, the same symptoms without going hypo.
You can have hypos as a type two, usually it is because of meds but not metformin.
Are you on any other meds?
You have done really well to get your levels down to those figures.
You will want to continue.
Are you using your food diary and testing before meals and after two hours?
Do you have any other conditions?
Are you doing a low carb diet?

Reactions: Loukay1

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 and those who are prediabetes experience hypo more commonly than recognized.

This is because we are insulin resistant and that leads to insulin response that is 2-3x higher than normal. This huge surge in insulin can cause a rapid clearing of glucose that triggers the hypo symptoms as our brain goes into a panic mode.

High insulin levels suppress ketones which is the alternative brain fuel. So a low ketones, low glucose results.

The solution is to maintain a steady/normal glucose/insulin level to avoid the roller coaster effects.

upload_2018-1-20_8-28-39-png.24982

Reactions: Loukay1

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi so I experienced this a while ago and I thought that it was weird as I’m a type 2 on 4x500mg of Metformin. It seems that we are experiencing false hypos. This is because our bodies have been running on high glucose levels that when the levels go to a normal range, it reacts like the levels are too low. Basically sugar has been our crack and our bodies need to learn to love the new low levels. The best way to confirm this is to try to take. Reading and you will see that your level are normal. Good luck

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, that is as near to my story as is possible without the taking of readings with the symptoms. But I think it is false hypos you are having. That is when your blood glucose levels drop quickly, the same symptoms without going hypo.
You can have hypos as a type two, usually it is because of meds but not metformin.
Are you on any other meds?
You have done really well to get your levels down to those figures.
You will want to continue.
Are you using your food diary and testing before meals and after two hours?
Do you have any other conditions?
Are you doing a low carb diet?
I do take other medication for pain, I'm testing before eating then 2 hours later and am usually within the 2 points higher, just can't work out why it's happening so don't know how to stop it, if that makes sense?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a sample of a response to a high carb meal captured by Libre. The 11.5 mmol to 4.9 mmol steep drop triggers the usual hypo symptoms...

upload_2018-4-28_3-5-39.png

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 and those who are prediabetes experience hypo more commonly than recognized.

This is because we are insulin resistant and that leads to insulin response that is 2-3x higher than normal. This huge surge in insulin can cause a rapid clearing of glucose that triggers the hypo symptoms as our brain goes into a panic mode.

High insulin levels suppress ketones which is the alternative brain fuel. So a low ketones, low glucose results.

The solution is to maintain a steady/normal glucose/insulin level to avoid the roller coaster effects.

upload_2018-1-20_8-28-39-png.24982

Thank you, I must still not have my diet working for me then? Guess will just have to live with it & keep tweaking diet

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been low carbing and how low is your daily carb amount on average?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do take other medication for pain, I'm testing before eating then 2 hours later and am usually within the 2 points higher, just can't work out why it's happening so don't know how to stop it, if that makes sense?
The symptoms you are experiencing do probably mean that you are getting higher spikes, despite the good result of getting below 2mmols at two hours.
Maybe testing at one hour will give you an idea how high your spike is getting.
If you are eating quick acting food that stimulates your glucose, the initial insulin response is not enough, when your secondary response happens it solves the problem. But the high spike and subsequent drop will give you similar symptoms.
Only testing can show you.
Also, it could be your body is still adjusting to not being in higher levels. It does take time to get used to normal range levels. Your body is probably wanting the glucose levels it got use to since you started lowering your blood glucose levels.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The symptoms you are experiencing do probably mean that you are getting higher spikes, despite the good result of getting below 2mmols at two hours.
Maybe testing at one hour will give you an idea how high your spike is getting.
If you are eating quick acting food that stimulates your glucose, the initial insulin response is not enough, when your secondary response happens it solves the problem. But the high spike and subsequent drop will give you similar symptoms.
Only testing can show you.
Also, it could be your body is still adjusting to not being in higher levels. It does take time to get used to normal range levels. Your body is probably wanting the glucose levels it got use to since you started lowering your blood glucose levels.
Thank you, it all makes sense, will just have to persevere! X

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Loukay1 if your diabetic nurse says it sounds like a hypo has she given you a test kit to check your blood sugars when you're having these symptoms? If not, some type2 members will be able to advise on monitors to purchase.