Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
just having a moan really
I have been doing so well with weight loss, low carb high fat diet my blood sugars have been on average 5ish before and pre meal but I got slapped cheek of my daughter and have felt like I have had flu for past two weeks, followed by the awful rash now bad joint pain, but I’m struggling to keep my blood sugar under control, I had chicken and vegetables for tea the usual broccoli and carrots and cauliflower and it’s 8.8mmol I don’t even understand how it could be that high from that meal, so I cleaned my hands to make sure it’s not something on my skin and again 8.7mmol. Is this normal to be so high, I know illness can increase blood sugar. My nurse is so pleased with my numbers she’s repeating my a1c on the 15th because she wants me to come of medication and I know that won’t happen with numbers like that I thought I was doing so well and in control and now I just feel so defeated . Sorry for the moan .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The infection will have raised your bg levels. This is temporary and there is little you can do apart from the normal rest and hydration. Get well soon.

P.S. Try the same meal without the carrots and see if that changes your readings.

Reactions: dbr10 and rom35

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you, I have had this meal a few weeks ago and it was 5.5mmol so I don’t think it’s the food. Iv just checked again and it’s on the way down 7.2 mol 2 1/2 hours post meal but still very high compared to what I have been getting.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Guzzler. Infection will elevate your BG and you can do nothing about that. Just cure it ASAP and the BGs will be normal again.

Reactions: dbr10

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
just having a moan really
I have been doing so well with weight loss, low carb high fat diet my blood sugars have been on average 5ish before and pre meal but I got slapped cheek of my daughter and have felt like I have had flu for past two weeks, followed by the awful rash now bad joint pain, but I’m struggling to keep my blood sugar under control, I had chicken and vegetables for tea the usual broccoli and carrots and cauliflower and it’s 8.8mmol I don’t even understand how it could be that high from that meal, so I cleaned my hands to make sure it’s not something on my skin and again 8.7mmol. Is this normal to be so high, I know illness can increase blood sugar. My nurse is so pleased with my numbers she’s repeating my a1c on the 15th because she wants me to come of medication and I know that won’t happen with numbers like that I thought I was doing so well and in control and now I just feel so defeated . Sorry for the moan .
Tell me about it.
My son has given me lergies from Scarlet Fever. I'm in double figures. Seeing GP hopefully today to see if I need antibiotics. My headaches are horrendous... feel like brain freeze, permanently.
Not to mention my painkillers have stopped working again, so I cannot walk without total agony.
Are you getting antibiotics?

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Saw the doctor today and they won’t put off my a1c and he said he’s not to concerned and it will pass hopefully, he said if I’m no better in 3 weeks go back or if my blood sugar goes up to 23mmol he seemed more concerned about making me feel like **** about how iv have been diagnosed at 30 and will be Luigi make 50 he’s actually really upset me and a quick google to check his information was pretty much the nail in the coffin. So I feel very sorry for myself tonight . I hope you feel better soon ickihun.

Edited by moderator for language

Last edited by a moderator:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So your doctor is forecasting an early death because you are diabetic? Just shows how poor his medical treatment is - but luckily you have got the forum to assist you.
As Hba1c shows the sort of values you have had for the last three months, although weighted towards the last month, you should not treat it as some sort of test you need to pass - it shows what it shows, and if your BG has been high due to an infection, that is what it has been. As your nurse knows about the infection, she might decide to stop the medication and see what the test shows in another three months- or you could ask for that option.

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes I think I will discuss it with her, he was quite awful telling me how because of my age I am unlikely to see 50 even if I keep my bg within normal range and just really putting me down, quite awful really I have young children and would like to see them get married and have children of there own, it felt a bit like a death sentence seeing my dr today.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
If it was me... and I know its not me...

But no one will stick a needle in me without my permission, I would tell them to do the A1c when Im ready.

Just a thought. Dont let the doctor get to you he sounds like a right p***k.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think I will discuss it with her, he was quite awful telling me how because of my age I am unlikely to see 50 even if I keep my bg within normal range and just really putting me down, quite awful really I have young children and would like to see them get married and have children of there own, it felt a bit like a death sentence seeing my dr today.
I was 37 when diagnosed. Not too far off your age. On a LCHF diet I dropped 20 kilo's, my HbA1c is well in the non-diabetic range now, all diabetes medication stopped, cholesterol is fine, and I'm finally getting around to tackling my fatty liver with keto now and that too, is working. I don't intend to kick the bucket, and from the sound of it, neither do you. I say, show the doc what you're made of and prove the arrogant ***** wrong! If you can, find a doc or nurse who will support you. And take charge of this yourself; if he's not going to be any supportive, proper help, you have the forum here to root for you and answer questions (to the best of our abilities, as we're not doctors), and you can educate yourself on how to handle the diabetes from here on in. You're plenty motivated to see your kids grow up. And I don't see why that would be a pipe dream; You can do this!

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you, I have quite a supportive nurse who I usually see but went to see him because of the illness, I won’t make that mistake again. I was kind of under the assumption I will control this and live to a grand old age, my nurse is very pleased with how I’m doing and always supporting me but he was just mean. I think I will go ahead with my a1c just because I didn’t have my cholesterol checked at diagnosis and would like it doing, probably will be another thing that needs work. I have been following lchf and it has been fantastic for weight loss.

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I think I will discuss it with her, he was quite awful telling me how because of my age I am unlikely to see 50 even if I keep my bg within normal range
sa

That is unbelievable he said that!
I'm disgusted!
Anyway, my Aunty has eaten and drank garbage all her life including 2 litres of diet coke a day and been overweight, and she has type 2 diabetes, and i don't think she's ever done much to control it- probably just taken the drugs the doctors give her and then eat whatever she wants despite the diabetes, and she's well into her 70's now!
Not that you will want to be like her- she spent a month in a coma, as her organs went into failure one night snd her husband didn't call an ambulance and only called my mum to tell her the next morning, so by the time the ambulance got there it was touch and go if she'd make it, but as I said, she's done nothing proactively to get to her 70's and you are doing everything in your power to, so don't let those stupid words of that doctor hang over you.
He does not determine your destiny!

Reactions: Lily 2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was kind of under the assumption I will control this and live to a grand old age, my nurse is very pleased with how I’m doing and always supporting me but he was just mean.

I always thought T2 was less serious (to life expectancy) than T1, and no one (in this century) tells T1s they've only got 20 years to live. For a GP to say that is just criminal. (I actually wonder if you could complain about him to the medical authorities but am guessing that it would be more trouble than it's worth.) I've been T1 for 48 years and am expecting/hoping to make it to at least 80 (lots of long lived relatives in my family).

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I have quite a supportive nurse who I usually see but went to see him because of the illness, I won’t make that mistake again. I was kind of under the assumption I will control this and live to a grand old age, my nurse is very pleased with how I’m doing and always supporting me but he was just mean. I think I will go ahead with my a1c just because I didn’t have my cholesterol checked at diagnosis and would like it doing, probably will be another thing that needs work. I have been following lchf and it has been fantastic for weight loss.
Your doctor is an idiot. My father has been type 2 since he was 48 years old, he is now 85 years old an in relatively good shape. His freind has been type 2 for over 50 years (he is now 90 years old) and has been complaining that this year he cant do his usual 5 mile walk a day!!!

Have some hugs. Keep control going and you will be fine.

PS Last year i got rather ill and my bloods were in double figures, as soon as i got well again they went back down again, about 2 weeks after getting better. Its a thing, its temporary, all will be fine.

Lily 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much for all the words of wisdom and support, everyone on here has been really invaluable to me, it’s scary to think the nurses and drs would have you eating high carbs and pegged for death at 50, I feel I have just lost faith in them. I honestly can’t thank you all enough it’s really played on my mind what he said and to be told the truth is a weight off, iv decided to complain about him to the nurse at my appointment next week, she is supportive but is all for the nhs way of eating ( not that I listen) I just would hate not to say anything and he made someone else feel that way and they didn’t have access to you lot to know the truth.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor sounds like proof of the reports that psychopaths are overly represented among MD's :woot:

Reactions: rab5