Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.
Just a little question.
Diagnosed 6 weeks ago.
I'm now happy(ish) with 6.8 - 7.4
Atleast better than 13 at diagnosis.
My question is how do I go about the extra push to get under the bar. That elusive 4 - 6
I'm virtually eating around 30 - 50g carbs per day. Exercising 3 times a week. Walking around 3 miles under 1 hr.
Have tried a couple of fasting days but just won't dip.
Or is it still early doors and I'm just being impatient.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you’re being impatient! :)

You’re doing great, levels are coming down. It takes time.

Editing. Reply sounded a bit terse, which wasn’t the intention. If you keep going I’m sure you’ll get the results you want.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that I got under 8mmol/l and then there was a pause, I suppose as my metabolism got back in balance - but then, although I was eating the same things the levels went down - then went all over the place for a while, but gradually settled down to lower levels - back to normal by 6 months.
In order to recover, I think that a lot needs to happen.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree, it’s still early days, keep at it, you’re obviously doing the right things, you’ve done really well so far!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Good evening @Kevyu you have done extremely well and I have no doubt you will get to your objectives.

It is still quite early, you are reversing a metabolic situation that took years to develop. Here's what I would do in your shoes:

• Ensure I get a minimum of 7 hours sleep
  • Walk fasted for 45 mins in the morning after a black filter coffee (up to everyday)
  • Walk 30 mins to 45 mins after last meal (up the intensity for the last mile
  • Eat no more than twice a day (No snacking, some make sure snacks are within meals)
  • Throw in some 23 /:24 hour fasts
  • Try to finish eating by 17.00
  • Begin meals with a tablespoon of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Cook with MCT oil where appropriate, you only need a little.
  • Make smart choices on the veg e.g. favour asparagus over say carrots, or broccoli / cauliflower over green peas.
Depending on how fit you are you can get a training programme devised with hi intensity which will assist, but remember 80-85% of the "fix" is diet. The old ways may tempt you from time to time, just a cautionary word that whilst it is possible to get remission / reversal, this is not a cure in the definition that eating regular fish and chips and cakes can be the norm (I mention regular as low carb versions can be made). But in another way if you lived another 50 years in remission with no diabetes complications I would say in a soft voice that this was a second degree cure if that makes sense.

Kevyu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening @Kevyu you have done extremely well and I have no doubt you will get to your objectives.

It is still quite early, you are reversing a metabolic situation that took years to develop. Here's what I would do in your shoes:

• Ensure I get a minimum of 7 hours sleep
  • Walk fasted for 45 mins in the morning after a black filter coffee (up to everyday)
  • Walk 30 mins to 45 mins after last meal (up the intensity for the last mile
  • Eat no more than twice a day (No snacking, some make sure snacks are within meals)
  • Throw in some 23 /:24 hour fasts
  • Try to finish eating by 17.00
  • Begin meals with a tablespoon of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
  • Cook with MCT oil where appropriate, you only need a little.
  • Make smart choices on the veg e.g. favour asparagus over say carrots, or broccoli / cauliflower over green peas.
Depending on how fit you are you can get a training programme devised with hi intensity which will assist, but remember 80-85% of the "fix" is diet. The old ways may tempt you from time to time, just a cautionary word that whilst it is possible to get remission / reversal, this is not a cure in the definition that eating regular fish and chips and cakes can be the norm (I mention regular as low carb versions can be made). But in another way if you lived another 50 years in remission with no diabetes complications I would say in a soft voice that this was a second degree cure if that makes sense.
Thanks Mbaker.
Some interesting points, some of your suggestions may not be appropriate to my current life style, by diabetes is a lifestyle change by definition,eh?
But be assured all taken on board.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
That's the great thing about this protocol, mine is quite aggresive due to previous sports undertaken and the influence of my wife who is in the health industry.

Many do minimal exercise, are carb strict and get 4's and 5's easily, normal HbA1c's and incidental weight loss.

Reactions: Kevyu

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did none of that - just ate low carb enough to get my BG down - there are so many ideas about the cause of diabetes and the need for a punishing cure that sometimes the most obvious things are neglected.

Reactions: Kevyu