Keto On Holiday

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently took my family on a week's camping holiday in Devon, which was lovely. My wife and I are both following keto, and we had no real trouble sticking to it. The only difficulty came when we chose to eat out. The first challenge was finding somewhere with a menu that looked like one of the dishes could be made without carbs. Then it was about asking the waiting staff (who were lovely) whether we could substitute extra salad for the carb options. She was like, "Do you want chips, rice, or garlic bread?" And I said, "Actually, I don't want any of those, could I have extra salad instead, please? She was like, "Are you sure? They come with the meal."

Sorry, off on a bit of a tangent there...

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I'm taking us all to Brittany for a fortnight in a few weeks, and I'm just thinking about going back to a carb-based diet for that fortnight. Not too carb-heavy, mind... The other factor is that the kids (aged 12 and 8) don't often share what we eat, so I thought it would be nice if we could do so for that fortnight. Then there's the added fun of language difficulties; my French isn't amazing...

Any thoughts most welcome...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only eaten out a few times since diagnosis, but I have eaten low carb for decades - and find that it is simply a matter of getting over the normal script which the serving staff run through automatically.
The French do have diabetes too, and looking up a few key phrases before you go could help to make ordering food easier. I can't recommend going back to eating carbs as it could mean that you are feeling low after a few days, with not enough energy to enjoy your holiday, even wanting to take a nap after eating.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think traditional French food is too carb heavy though you will have to be good at refusing the bread basket that arrives automatically. Loads of Moules sans frites perhaps?
I ate out at a Turkish greasy spoon today and being slightly hungover went for their burger which came with bacon and cheese. I simply ate the salad and ditched the nasty burger bun then enjoyed the meat.
I don't get the fear of going out when on this diet unless you go somewhere that only serves pizza! I have done plenty of French campsites btw and they always had great salad options with plenty of fat and protein.