Militant Low Carbing & Body Shaming - What's Your View?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My bet is that dietitians will be the very last bastion to fall. They claim to be "evidence based" but that is the furthest thing from the truth when it comes to their socalled "profession". Adapt or perish, but I think their institutions won't let the individuals. So, if they go the way of the dodo, on their own heads beit.
Yes. Exactly. Who really needs them anyway? Even if they were giving good advice there's so much info readily available all over the internet, TV, newspapers, magazines they aren't necessary at all. The only evidence I need is what I see with my own eyes on my BG meter and my bathroom scales.

Reactions: ringi

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually find the whole idea of dietitians absurd in the extreme. Since when do animals (including humans) need to be told how to eat. Have we really become so child-like?

I saw another tweet today about new dietary guidelines the Canadian government have come up with for the Inuit. Like they haven't survived for eons eating their traditional diet? Now some bureaucrats are going to tell them how they should be eating while allowing them to be surrounded by ultra processed food, completely under the thumb of Big Food pressure groups and "think tanks".

Reactions: zand

lindisfel

Expert
I actually find the whole idea of dietitians absurd in the extreme. Since when do animals (including humans) need to be told how to eat. Have we really become so child-like?

I saw another tweet to day about new dietary guidelines the Canadian government have come up with for the Inuit. Like they haven't survived for eons eating their traditional diet? Now some bureaucrats are going to tell them how they should be eating while allowing them to be surrounded by ultra processed food, completely under the thumb of Big Food pressure groups and "think tanks".
When I was young we were nearly all thin in the forties and fifties. There were no real dietary guidelines until a certain gentleman made them up for the States much later.

Problem was we were all politically incorrect and more obese we got the more politically correct we are.:)

So LCHF must make us politically incorrect. QED. :);)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was young we were nearly all thin in the forties and fifties. There were no real dietary guidelines until a certain gentleman made them up for the States much later.

Problem was we were all politically incorrect and more obese we got the more politically correct we are.:)

So LCHF must make us politically incorrect. QED. :);)
Not all of us though, cos whilst LCHF helps control my Bgs I remain obese. ;)

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The judgement that they repeat over and over again on Twitter is that the only problem with their rotten guidelines is that lazy, fat slobs don't follow them properly. If these idiots would only follow their orders, all would be well. Not much humility or rational thinking going on there.

The level of juvenility on display in the 'blocked by pete evans' facebook group is also something to behold.

Reactions: Indy51

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find some people eat in front of me to prove a point too. They normally add weight thou.
My mum, sister and brother-in-law have just realised their reactive eating junk and sugar now needs to stop but they are hugely addicted so they are having a job. Sister and brother-in-law is off to a fun fare American overeating holiday for 10days in 2mths time so their health carers have asked them to reduce their obese bodies first. Thank god. They lose as soon as they stop the junk.
It does remind me how difficult it is for me to lose in comparison. If I lost that easily I'd never be obese.
If only....... Well a girl can dream.
If only my bariatric surgery fixed all my weight loss blockage problems! Oh what a wonderful world I'd be in. Ha ha
I don't think my endo can do miracles. :(
I will give this chance my utmost in discipline and knowledge. I'm looking forward to tiny meals which my 5yrold can have too. Even 11yr old may be interested. He wants to start a gym but he has to be 14yr old here. He's very keen but I've told him he has to shed fat first the muscle build. So jogging, swimming and other cardio work will be needed first.
FYI Your lad can build muscles too. He will soon have plenty of testosterone to help with that and the more muscle he has the more insulin sensitive he will be. Mine is pudgy at age 12 so we are desperately hoping for a growth spurt. In the meantime push ups, burpees, squats, lunges or some boxing all help to get them out of breath and increasing muscle mass! Jogging and swimming may simply make him hungry though all of the above are better than playing x box!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Puppy fat, for boys and girls, has always been a thing. Its not a myth, or wrong. Some children, going through puberty, put on a fair bit of weight to feed the growth spurt. Out growing ones strength is also a thing, and always has been. Thats where those who do not put down puppy fat can suffer nourishment and tiredness from not having the reserves needed to fuel the growth spurt.

This also occurs if there is insufficient fat stores laid down during pregnancy to fuel breastfeeding, especially for mothers of large babies who need a lot of feeding.

This has been known for centuries.

It is not the same as obesity due to wrong feeding.

meardonna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe i should join in lol.. I lost 2,stone in 2,weeks but that wasn't some stupid diet that was from not being allowed to eat and nearly dying! I can think of better ways to lose weight!! I have never been big, but I was shocked and upset by the abuse i got when diagnosed, and still get now. News media and publiciity by nhs isnt helping. I got told i was to blame for the nhs crisis! It is all wrong!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I need to remember that the medical profession, including dietitians, are teaching what they have been taught to teach, and what they are paid to teach.

Blaming the ground troops for carrying out the orders of the High Ups seems unfair to me.

Remember how long it took to get the view on smoking being good for us overturned? We are fighting to save lives though our voices and experience and need to use diplomacy and keep dialogue going, not drawing battle lines and alienate the medical personnel.
The poeple in the photo from the original tweet were the head and ex heads of the BDA according to the caption.. they were the high ups..

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The poeple in the photo from the original tweet were the head and ex heads of the BDA according to the caption.. they were the high ups..
I have no problem with them being berated for their wrong teaching. I do have a problem with them being berated for their body size. Obesity is complex.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do think Eddie has played an absolute blinder with his tweet. If he'd said, "Here's a lovely bunch of ladies, who I don't fully agree with", nobody would have taken any notice, but as he has picked an approach which hits a raw nerve for some/many, we are now well down page 6 of the thread. And I thought he was banned all those years ago.
Sally
I said it in an earlier post and I say it again. Where would we be without Eddie. He is the immovable rock on which the current movement is founded. He got banned due to a misunderstanding and the fact that he won't shut up. The latter is his golden quality.

lindisfel

Expert
I have no problem with them being berated for their wrong teaching. I do have a problem with them being berated for their body size. Obesity is complex.
I said it in an earlier post and I say it again. Where would we be without Eddie. He is the immovable rock on which the current movement is founded. He got banned due to a misunderstanding and the fact that he won't shut up. The latter is his golden quality.
He's certainly a colourful character Squire, it's a good job he's not in a dictatorship or he would be burnt at the stake.
Perhaps dieticians would love to force feed him carbs because they get their wicked way with most of the diabetic population. :)

Reactions: ickihun

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And yet no one thought to test me because I showed no sign of this 'clinical condition' but still had the underlying condition that can for some have a symptomatic and observational sign. It can work both ways. As for being judgmental, my DN was definitely showing signs of this at my consultation at diagnosis when she referred to my dietary habits of which she had no knowledge whatsoever.

Then that is unprofessional behavior and should not be tolerated.

Any way who am I to judge I just had a rather loud argument with the receptionist at my doctor's so my own behavior at times isn't what it should be. Don't think I will be welcome there for a while.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then that is unprofessional behavior and should not be tolerated.

Any way who am I to judge I just had a rather loud argument with the receptionist at my doctor's so my own behavior at times isn't what it should be. Don't think I will be welcome there for a while.
I am sure you had your reasons. :)