Is Coconut Oil A 'poison'?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Works with the people that brought us the "low carb takes 4 years off your life" bull***.
Anti saturated fat but would rather you had veg oils I'm sure.
Try this one instead
https://idmprogram.com/the-shocking-origins-of-vegetable-oil-garbage/
@Tannith ?
You know its wrong, I know its wrong.

but i am hoping for a discussion on the merits or not of the research......................like people have done in previous articles about carbs, for example. I will edit my original post to reflect that.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know its wrong, I know its wrong.

but i am hoping for a discussion on the merits or not of the research......................like people have done in previous articles about carbs, for example. I will edit my original post to reflect that.
There's no research mentioned in the article though so a bit difficult to have a reasoned look at it.. not trying to be nasty.. I haven;t found a link to the original piece.. will have a look now.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I've only every bought Coconut Oil once, and then tossed it because I didn't like my fried eggs tasting of coconut, but each to his/her own.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems to be based on a lecture she gave (in German) so there's no supporting evidence just her "opinion". Whereas the evidence seems to point the other way once we have all agreed that sat fat is not harmful...
I'm surprised she said this though as she works with the WFPB mob at Harvard so would have thought that they liked fruit oil.. obviously their dislike of sat fat overcomes all.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
but i am hoping for a discussion on the merits or not of the research

“Because coconut oil increases LDL cholesterol, a cause of CVD, and has no known offsetting favourable effects, we advise against the use of coconut oil,” So, based on high cholesterol being a cause of CVD . . . . . . .

Without spending too much time looking into this, I've decided that the coconut oil that I've consumed in the last 5 years hasn't adversely affected my total cholesterol at all and as far as I'm aware the LDL/HDL/trigs are all OK. So, . . . . . .

The video is in German. Ich spreche kein Deutsch

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The discussion I had with my practice nurse springs to mind.
She said -You should change your diet to include fewer saturated fats, to reduce your cholesterol. Your risk of stroke or heart disease is increased.
I said -So you believe that cholesterol in the blood is determined by what is eaten.
Her jaw actually dropped.
I did not question her further, nor ask what my blood pressure was and did she think that I ought to have one that is higher - in view of the risk of problems, but as I do say a lot these days - sheesh.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
According to this study on healthy Thailanders, coconut oil consumption significantly increased HDL and had no effect on total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. The authors concluded that the effect of coconut oil should be potentially beneficial for cardiovascular risk reduction:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5745680/

Reactions: zand

lindisfel

Expert
“Because coconut oil increases LDL cholesterol, a cause of CVD, and has no known offsetting favourable effects, we advise against the use of coconut oil,” So, based on high cholesterol being a cause of CVD . . . . . . .

Without spending too much time looking into this, I've decided that the coconut oil that I've consumed in the last 5 years hasn't adversely affected my total cholesterol at all and as far as I'm aware the LDL/HDL/trigs are all OK. So, . . . . . .

The video is in German. Ich spreche kein Deutsch
Actually if you look at the guy who started the cholesterol code web site, having a lot of saturated fat before a blood test puts one's LDL down!
So these assertions appear to be rubbish!
Lipoproteins are a sophisticated energy transport system which sugar and refined carbs disrupt and they vary in a much more dynamic way than one would imagine.

Even insects have a similar but less complex energy transport system.

Anyone would think that God and/or evolution made a mistake when cholesterol was designed!
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Yea, but if you read Kendrick carefully he doesn't believe diet has any effect on CVD!
"Michels based her warning on the high proportion of saturated fat in coconut oil, which is known to raise levels of so-called LDL cholesterol, and so the risk of cardiovascular disease."

I think Dr Kendrick would disagree

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/...t-cannot-raise-cholesterol-levels-ldl-levels/

as would Peter Attia

https://peterattiamd.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i/