Type 2 Anyone Out There Who Don't See Bs Reduction On Lchf?

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might have asked this couple of months before but here me go again.

I have been religiously tracking my BS and food intake over last 4 months to the point that my wife secretly thinks I may like pricking my finger.

While I have enjoyed this life style , I have not seen the reduction in BS as most people seem to have. Pictures say more than words and the chart below show my readings over last 4 months.

Why is it so?

BS_Aug2018.jpg

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @nsh2111, Have you lost any weight? Are you on any medication(s)? What is your carb intake per day?
Have you checked your glucose monitor against another machine? Do you have any health conditions which may affect accuracy of test results? e.g. anaemia.
Do you exercise? Do you have other health conditions which might affect the results/blood sugar control?
Just some of the variables to be considered!!

Reactions: SamJB

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Good morning @nsh2111
Do you keep a food and activities diary alongside your glucose readings

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @nsh2111, Have you lost any weight? Are you on any medication(s)? What is your carb intake per day?
Have you checked your glucose monitor against another machine? Do you have any health conditions which may affect accuracy of test results? e.g. anaemia.
Do you exercise? Do you have other health conditions which might affect the results/blood sugar control?
Just some of the variables to be considered!!
Hello, no medication or any other condition.
I have lost around 5 kg in last 4 months and now at 62 kg for 5'7" frame. I am not looking to loose more. I keep food diary and avoid foods which spike me.

Regular exercise both aetobaeand resistance.

Carb intake is from 20 GM to 40 GM. Wee sticks show ketone.

Just doing everything I can imagine but it seems my body just doesn't want to go lower. Only fasts bring it to low 5

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Perhaps you might ask your doctor to evaluate what your insulin resistance is and whether you have sufficient 'pancreatic reserve" (= is your pancreas gland - islet cells producing sufficient insulin to meet demands without requiring medications ?) just a thought based on my reading - is not professional advice or opinion.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps you might ask your doctor to evaluate what your insulin resistance is and whether you have sufficient 'pancreatic reserve" (= is your pancreas gland - islet cells producing sufficient insulin to meet demands without requiring medications ?) just a thought based on my reading - is not professional advice or opinion.
Yes that is next step . I had insulin antibodies test but the sample got lost as per surgery. So going again now.

Reactions: kitedoc

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
avoid foods which spike me.
Sorry but that statement and your depicted results doesn't quite tie up. What is your definition of "spike" and what food type makes up the majority of your eating?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Good luck to anyone wishing to know what level of insulin resistance they may have, proxy markers (and poor ones, at that) can give an indication but that is about it.
Most T2s have a problem with hyperinsulinaemia which can take time to fall. Four months should be long enough to improve glucose levels but insulin sensitivity can take a helluva lot longer to show signs of improvement.

Reactions: nsh2111

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How confident are you that you're T2 and not, say, LADA....?
And honestly, they might not be quite non-diabetic, but those results look pretty good to me. I'd expect your next hbA1C to be 42 ishwith an average blood sugar of around 7.....

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but that statement and your depicted results doesn't quite tie up. What is your definition of "spike" and what food type makes up the majority of your eating?
I see what you mean. Majority of my eating is poultry , fish and veg along with dairy. I use full fat milk and yogurt and cheese and double cream. Fish cause least spike and dairy cause the most.

I eat cauliflower auburgien a lot as being Indian , I have to eat Indian curry at home most days and I try to get my wife to eat lot of non starch veg. Exercise raise my BG also.

I think spike as anythingore than 2 mmol. I have had occasional 3 point raise on food which normally doesn't cause such. It's hard to pinpoint as there are so many ingredients. Could be garlic , ginger , onions etc.

I am able to make better food choices but I can't get the baseline fasting to go low. I notice that when I start low , I am able to keep it below 7 whole day. If I start at 7 in morning, then clearly I will see 8+

I

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How confident are you that you're T2 and not, say, LADA....?
And honestly, they might not be quite non-diabetic, but those results look pretty good to me. I'd expect your next hbA1C to be 42 ishwith an average blood sugar of around 7.....
Yes I am going to get insulin antibodies test done. Hopefully should clear. My GP is adamant though that I am T2. He agrees for this test after I pester him.

My hbac might be what you say but I was expecting more dramatic lowering of BG and improved sensitivity.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see what you mean. Majority of my eating is poultry , fish and veg along with dairy. I use full fat milk and yogurt and cheese and double cream. Fish cause least spike and dairy cause the most.

I eat cauliflower auburgien a lot as being Indian , I have to eat Indian curry at home most days and I try to get my wife to eat lot of non starch veg. Exercise raise my BG also.

I think spike as anythingore than 2 mmol. I have had occasional 3 point raise on food which normally doesn't cause such. It's hard to pinpoint as there are so many ingredients. Could be garlic , ginger , onions etc.

I am able to make better food choices but I can't get the baseline fasting to go low. I notice that when I start low , I am able to keep it below 7 whole day. If I start at 7 in morning, then clearly I will see 8+

I
The milk and yoghurt stand out to me as maybe being a bit problematic depending of course on the quantities used. Any chance you could try to cut them out for a week just to see if they make a difference? I realise that is going to be hard but it may show you some improvements. Replace with cream and maybe creme fraiche? Just a thought.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The milk and yoghurt stand out to me as maybe being a bit problematic depending of course on the quantities used. Any chance you could try to cut them out for a week just to see if they make a difference? I realise that is going to be hard but it may show you some improvements. Replace with cream and maybe creme fraiche? Just a thought.
Sure can do. I do use milk very sparingly in my tea in morning only. Yogurt again 100 200 gram max , home made with full fat milk. Will cut them out. List of what to eat is shrinking as I have cut pulses , beans , flour . One more thing I will remove to see what impact it has.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure can do. I do use milk very sparingly in my tea in morning only. Yogurt again 100 200 gram max , home made with full fat milk. Will cut them out. List of what to eat is shrinking as I have cut pulses , beans , flour . One more thing I will remove to see what impact it has.
Sorry about that.. the one thing you could introduce with relative impunity would be meat but I guess for you that would be a step too far.

Reactions: nsh2111

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me there seems to be a “sweet spot” of between 30-55g (ish) carbs a day where my blood sugars behave very well. If I go below around 25g or above around 70g then my sugars go up quite significantly.
It hasnt always been so as the amount of carbs my body can deal with has changed over the 21 years Ive been diagnosed
If Im v stressed or ill then it changes again

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about that.. the one thing you could introduce with relative impunity would be meat but I guess for you that would be a step too far.
I do eat meat most days. But don't think I can live on just meat and cheese :)
For me there seems to be a “sweet spot” of between 30-55g (ish) carbs a day where my blood sugars behave very well. If I go below around 25g or above around 70g then my sugars go up quite significantly.
It hasnt always been so as the amount of carbs my body can deal with has changed over the 21 years Ive been diagnosed
If Im v stressed or ill then it changes again

You may have a point. I want to up my carb intake but afraid so will try cutting milk and cheese first and if no improvement then look at amount of carb and play with that number.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do eat meat most days. But don't think I can live on just meat and cheese :)
Plenty of people do.. could be worth another experiment for a week just to see what happens?
It's only 7 days...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to watch my protein levels as protein spikes me via gluconeogenisis and glucagon. I’m carnivore ( meat only) these days but I eat a much higher % of fat than protein.
Cheese and dairy made me very insulin resistant.

Play with your macros. And ditch dairy Ike @bulkbiker suggested.