I Have Been Type One For 4 Years But Just Found Out Im Actually Monogenic (mody)

ailsa12

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so on Friday I was at the hospital to ask about getting a libra and they had the results of my genetic tests and I don't have type one after all. so I have come off insulin, now I have been taken very small doses and have a low carb diet, they have changed me onto diamicron. Today was the first day, im a bit worried that I might end up having to eat much more than I normally do to keep up with the insulin in my system. has anyone got experiance swapping from insulin to diamicron and being low carb?

Reactions: Rodney from Canada

Carolann13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who eat crisps in the cinema, anyone who dislikes animals.
so on Friday I was at the hospital to ask about getting a libra and they had the results of my genetic tests and I don't have type one after all. so I have come off insulin, now I have been taken very small doses and have a low carb diet, they have changed me onto diamicron. Today was the first day, im a bit worried that I might end up having to eat much more than I normally do to keep up with the insulin in my system. has anyone got experiance swapping from insulin to diamicron and being low carb?
Wow, that's great news for you

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I rated your post with a hug for having such a change foisted on you but if it is in fact good news have a winners star as well.:)

_petal_

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also a mody (hnf1a / mody3) and I was also originally diagnosed as Type 1. In my case it took 29 years before my diagnosis was changed, which happened about 5 years ago now.

I have had 2 attempts at Gliclazide but both times it hasn't worked that well for me, so I've reverted back to insulin.

It is good being able to take a tablet - I didn't miss the injections - but for me I did have issues with having to more closely match the carb intake to the amount of gliclazide taken, and ensure that the carb intake was always the same for my evening meal (I generally eat once a day). I did find this really inflexible.

Also, my blood sugar always rises considerably upon waking and the gliclazide never brought my blood sugar levels back down until mid-afternoon. Running at anything between 8 and 14 for those 9 hours wasn't doing me any favours, and insulin works so much better for reducing the morning blood sugar rise.

I hope you're adjusting ok, it's worth sticking with it for a while to see if it works better for you, and you can always swap back to the insulin if you prefer the flexibility it offers. Good luck!

Reactions: Rodney from Canada