What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 at 8:00 for me. Now packed ready to head to London for tonight's marathon walk through the streets of London. 26.25 miles and rain forecast - seemed like a good idea when i signed up. As i will be going to bed when i take my morning reading tomorrow it will probably be a bit unusual, cant wait to find out. Have good days everyone.
Good luck on your marathon walk tonight very brave indeed

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 decided to take it with me and will test at times. The hotel we are staying in is a small one on the beach and does a Greek meal every day as part of the board deal so hoping that will suit me bg wise! Think they have some alternative choices but will be interesting I’m going to go with the flow as much as possible but will check collateral damage! You make dinner choices at breakfast so think may have to find Greek words for diabetic and carbohydrates before I go! Having said this - one week of a few highs isn’t going to be a problem and may be balanced out by lower stress levels - will let you know!

The Greek diet is pretty healthy so with any luck it’ll suit you well. I agree the lower stress level is bound to be good for you too. It sounds idyllic.

Reactions: Cumberland

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @DJC3 decided to take it with me and will test at times. The hotel we are staying in is a small one on the beach and does a Greek meal every day as part of the board deal so hoping that will suit me bg wise! Think they have some alternative choices but will be interesting I’m going to go with the flow as much as possible but will check collateral damage! You make dinner choices at breakfast so think may have to find Greek words for diabetic and carbohydrates before I go! Having said this - one week of a few highs isn’t going to be a problem and may be balanced out by lower stress levels - will let you know!

Enjoy yourself shelley262, Greek food is yummy especially the seafood and salad.

Reactions: ding79

ding79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ding79 Good luck with the walk. I assume, maybe wrongly, that it is for some kind of worthy cause. Any link?
Thanks Ian. Yes, Leukaemia research, our son died from it a few years back so we're keen to help with fund raising.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian. Yes, Leukaemia research, our son died from it a few years back so we're keen to help with fund raising.
So sorry to hear that. This last week has been heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. So many members have revealed tragic losses but shown amazing depths of strength and determination to honour those they have lost.
Do you have a just giving page or online sponsor link?

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not quite fasting this morning - I forgot before eating and took it after eating a small low carb breakfast - 6.0 (worried about my GERD acting up lately so I'm reducing my morning fasting.)

Since I haven't been taking after every meal for a while now (due the high cost of strips here in Ontario, Canada, the gov pays gives very little to Type2s who don't take meds or insulin for test strips, only low income people with a dr's prescrition. Even Type 1s don't get a lot of supplies covered ). Therefore, I decided to do a few post meal readings to see now when my peak increase occurs and how big it is. Here are the results:

7:22 am 6.0 (5 minutes after breakfast) higher for me than lately
8: 24 am 6.3 rising level
9: 25 am 6.7 - the peak (2 hours after)
10:35 am 6.2 - glucose level heading back down

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ding79 I am so very sorry for your loss. I am away for the next week but if you PM me the details of your fundraising I would like to give you a modest donation and count my own blessings when I get back.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Partly true except that has been my way since childhood. It is a trait I inherited or learned from my father. Escaping from the cold and dark would suit me so my ideal would probably be living part of the year elsewhere rather than temporary disruption.

Here in Canada, they call these people "snowbirds" because they fly south for the winter (usually Florida, Texas, California, Mexico or the Caribbean. (Many years ago, a Canadian singer named Anne Murray had a hit song called "snowbird" (about a bird, not the vacationer.) Canadians can spend 5 months outside of Canada before they lose their healthcare benefits. Both my parents & in-laws did this until they started to get frail (my late father-in-law died in Texas on one of these trips as a result of terrible care in the US medical system following a broken hip but that's another story.)

Personally I'm not one for beaches, I'm very fair and burn too easy.

I prefer to go to cities with a lot of history, interesting museums & art galleries or places with beautiful natural scenery. A few that I love are: Italy (been there 3x), Scotland (haven't seen England yet), the Alps, Canadian Shield back country, Nova Scotia (especially Cape Breton). There's so many places I'd love to see both in Europe and North America (Prague, Budapest, some of the cities in southern Spain, the Louvre in Paris, British Museum in London, Metropolitan museum in New York, British Columbia coastline and the Canadian rockies (have seen the US ones.) Unfortunately money is an issue for us but hopefully we'll see more places some day. I'd also like to see some of Asia too.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 Saturday morning.

Chronicle_Cat, my mother was born in Nova Scotia and I wish I could see it someday.

My father is from there. It's lovely there by the ocean and the many of the people (like my dad) are very proud of their Highland Scots heritage (he grew up less than 20 miles where the Scots first came to Canada. He took us to Highland Games here in Canada when we were little.)

My mom's originally an American from the midwestern state of Iowa. They met in Detroit (!). I could have been an American (!!) but my mom didn't like the political atmosphere of the US at the time in 1953 (McCarthyism). They came to Canada, specifically southern Ontario, hoping to move to British Columbia (my dad's people were lumber people.) They ended up settling here for over 65 years.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
Amazing I’m here on forum before @Goonergal ! at airport awaiting breakfast - luckily they charge extra for toast so good low carb brekkie! OH will have my hash brown!
Bg 4.6
Hope everyone has a good Sunday
Edit sausage tasted poor quality withfillers! So another donation to OH!

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father is from there. It's lovely there by the ocean and the many of the people (like my dad) are very proud of their Highland Scots heritage (he grew up less than 20 miles where the Scots first came to Canada. He took us to Highland Games here in Canada when we were little.)

My mom's originally an American from the midwestern state of Iowa. They met in Detroit (!). I could have been an American (!!) but my mom didn't like the political atmosphere of the US at the time in 1953 (McCarthyism). They came to Canada, specifically southern Ontario, hoping to move to British Columbia (my dad's people were lumber people.) They ended up settling here for over 65 years.

My mother's mother was born in Michigan (her parents immigrated from the Netherlands), and my mother's older sister moved to Iowa when she married. I still have lots of cousins out there. I have a friend who grew up in Nova Scotia.
After I read your post earlier tonight I called my friend in Michigan and left a voicemail saying we have got to make that road trip we've talked about for decades -- guess where I'm gonna say we should go! :)

Reactions: Prem51