Cutting back on BG testing?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you stopped having them done then not much point still having it done if you have no faith in the result.

No, I still have it done because I get all the other blood checks at the same time, kidneys, liver, full blood count, cholesterol and lipids. They all come together. I keep a very keen eye on all my health markers. My GP is aware of the anomalies in my HbA1c and has been in conversation with the biochemist consultant at the lab.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No, I still have it done because I get all the other blood checks at the same time, kidneys, liver, full blood count, cholesterol and lipids. They all come together. I keep a very keen eye on all my health markers. My GP is aware of the anomalies in my HbA1c and has been in conversation with the biochemist consultant at the lab.
It may not be the lab results, per se,
I use multiple meters, they seldom show identical readings from the same blood drop.
The meters we use to test at home, are notoriously unreliable.
I believe the lab equipments are robust enough in both construction and maintenance, to inspire confidence in me.

Reactions: Serena51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may not be the lab results, per se,
I use multiple meters, they seldom show identical readings from the same blood drop.
The meters we use to test at home, are notoriously unreliable.
I believe the lab equipments are robust enough in both construction and maintenance, to inspire confidence in me.

In my case, it is the lab results. My GP agrees. To be clear, it isn't the lab making mistakes, it is my blood!

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In my case, it is the lab results. My GP agrees. To be clear, it isn't the lab making mistakes, it is my blood!
I get you. I've often wondered if there is something in my blood that makes a particular meter go too high or too low.
My Glumomen Lx2 gives stupid high readings. This afternoon 5 meters ranged between 3 and 3.5 and the glucomen is reading 4.4.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's more than I ever did.

Personally I have no interest in continually pricking my fingers, nor for experimenting on myself. I've never quite got my head around why anyone would want to eat something that they know is bad for them, just to test their reaction, especially when they repeat the same thing over and over :banghead:

My aim all along was to forget that I've got T2D, and on the whole I've managed that and day to day I don't think about it or worry about what I'm eating.

Now, if I could just lose my addiction to this forum I might manage to forget Diabetes altogether :bag:
The forum is taking over my life! I’m sure I get withdrawals if not checked it for a couple hours.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get you. I've often wondered if there is something in my blood that makes a particular meter go too high or too low.
My Glumomen Lx2 gives stupid high readings. This afternoon 5 meters ranged between 3 and 3.5 and the glucomen is reading 4.4.
I read this on here a lot with inconsistent meters. I sort of keep an almost in denial hope that my results are relatively accurate - i don’t think my fingers could cope with double the pricking from extra meters :arghh:I try to allow if worst case its reading lower a whole 1 unit than in reality would I be ok with that reading. I’m seeing it as what I’m eating now is much better for me than what I was before so surely it’s gotta be doing me some good - fingers crossed anyway!

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Emma, I'm now testing just fasting first thing in the morning except when testing a particular food. When I tested more often, I was getting only small increases (sometimes none at all) previously unless I tested a high carb food. (I tend to not like testing foods because I can clearly see that it raises my blood glucose. I haven't tested rice or besan -chickpea flour used in Indian cooking yet because I didn't like the results I got from whole wheat, potato or kidney beans, so I just avoid them.)

Test strips are very expensive here in Ontario, Canada (no Codefree meter here, no cheap ones in Walmart like the USA). I have an Abbott Freestyle Lite (not the$$$ Libre ). The test strips about $80 for 100 (47 pounds UK) and I don't have insurance. Our provincial got will pay for only 100 strips per year for Type 2s who are diet only if they are lower income (which I am). I plan on asking my doctor for a prescription as it's better than nothing.

I just gave blood (& urine) for my first 3 month follow up and I see my doctor next Tuesday for the results. She tests other things as well (cholestrol, lipids, thyroid, kidney function in addition to blood sugar.) I'm hoping for a better hb1ac than previous 7% (53). About half the time my levels are in the prediabetic range (5.5-6.5%), the other half they are in the normal range (4.5-5.4%). My target is normal levels.

I know the meters aren't always accurate, but there has been a significant improvement in my levels (I started eating low carb 2 weeks before I got my meter), it should be evident in my upcoming hb1ac.

Last edited:

liarsdance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So a little disheartened to realise I should be doing more
Not necessarily. As others have said, much depends on how often you're eating in a day and how many carbs you are consuming. I tested for the first 3 months after diagnosis during which time I started intermittent fasting and keto (20g carb max). I tested first thing in the morning, before my evening meal and 2 hours after because like @Goonergal, I eat quite a lot of fat. I'm not testing at all at the moment, but would not advocate that as a strategy for others.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you get the results you want @Chronicle_Cat
@liarsdance I now eat 3 meals a day. Found I feel really nauseous if I fast for too long - not sure if still getting used to the metformin. My meals are more or less identical each day - berries and yoghurt for breakfast, meat or fish and salad for lunch, meat or fish and veggies for tea. On average i end up around 50-60g carb a day. I’m finding my reading seems to have been between 4.5-5.0 both fasting and 2hrs after eating, with my meals causing a rise at 1hr, which seems to be my peak, of between 5.0-6.0. For me those are readings I’m happy with. It’s early days so am expecting random unexplained highs and that dreaded winter cold i always get playing havoc with me. I’ve decided to stick with the constant testing till my first HBA1C since diagnosis so that I feel like I’m in control but if I then get the result I want - I’d be happy with pre-diabetic range as a first goal, then I do plan on monitoring a little less when I know I’m eating the same things :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the meters aren't always accurate, but there has been a significant improvement in my levels (I started eating low carb 2 weeks before I got my meter), it should be evident in my upcoming hb1ac.
Even though I am the first to moan about the inaccuracy of meters and strips, testing still motivates me hugely to keep on low carbing. I compare it to my Fitbit, which is also not accurate but a great motivator nonetheless. Well done on improving your levels. I do hope you will get the A1c you want. Don't forget to share the result with us.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe the lab equipments are robust enough in both construction and maintenance, to inspire confidence
Sorry, but both Dr Bernstein and Jenny Ruhl complain about the inaccuracy of A1c tests (as well as home strips and meters). It has happened for blood from the same sample to be accidentally sent off to two different labs, resulting in 2 different A1c scores. IMO we just have to look at the general picture.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you get the results you want @Chronicle_Cat
@liarsdance I now eat 3 meals a day. Found I feel really nauseous if I fast for too long - not sure if still getting used to the metformin. My meals are more or less identical each day - berries and yoghurt for breakfast, meat or fish and salad for lunch, meat or fish and veggies for tea. On average i end up around 50-60g carb a day. I’m finding my reading seems to have been between 4.5-5.0 both fasting and 2hrs after eating, with my meals causing a rise at 1hr, which seems to be my peak, of between 5.0-6.0. For me those are readings I’m happy with. It’s early days so am expecting random unexplained highs and that dreaded winter cold i always get playing havoc with me. I’ve decided to stick with the constant testing till my first HBA1C since diagnosis so that I feel like I’m in control but if I then get the result I want - I’d be happy with pre-diabetic range as a first goal, then I do plan on monitoring a little less when I know I’m eating the same things :)
Your diet and your readings sound great to me. Do you take the Metformin with food? This is supposed to reduce digestive discomfort. Personally, I'm not keen on fasting, as sometimes it leads to a rise in bg, which always strikes me as horribly unjust.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet and your readings sound great to me. Do you take the Metformin with food? This is supposed to reduce digestive discomfort. Personally, I'm not keen on fasting, as sometimes it leads to a rise in bg, which always strikes me as horribly unjust.
Yes at the minute I take one with breakfast and one with evening meal. I’m supposed to be adding the third one at lunch from this weekend. I can’t say I’ve had any tummy pains or frequent toilet visits off them which is a bonus. Just occasionally waking up about 5am feeling sick and yesterday missed lunch as was so busy at work and by half 4 I felt sick again. I’ve always been a bit of a nauseous sufferer though - it was constantly being sick discomfort that started all my tests that found the diabetes

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, but both Dr Bernstein and Jenny Ruhl complain about the inaccuracy of A1c tests (as well as home strips and meters). It has happened for blood from the same sample to be accidentally sent off to two different labs, resulting in 2 different A1c scores. IMO we just have to look at the general picture.
You make a good point.
I guess the best way to look at it then, should be testing to get accurate results, should just be more in hope than expectation :confused:.
I have a lot of strips for a variety of meters.
Once they are gone, that's it for this constant, relentless testing.
I am on a very low carb jaunt at the moment, aimed at trying to hasten the healing of an Achilles injury I got from not using proper form during a workout. Hence my quest to see that my GKI (Glucose Ketone Index) is a an acceptable level for zapping inflammation.
One thing testing is doing to me though, is keeping me accountable. Peanuts are my crack cocaine, and I DARE NOT try one solitary legume. :chicken:, It will knock my straight out of ketosis.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a lot of strips for a variety of meters.
Once they are gone, that's it for this constant, relentless testing.
Yes, I keep thinking that soon I will test much less. I have reached an almost irreducible minimum of carbs, so if I'm not going to cut any more out of my diet, what good to keep testing? However I'll certainly keep on testing in the morning fasting and maybe around one meal a day, as I do suspect I am pre-LADA and so my readings could suddenly soar. The daily fasting record is useful to show my GP, as those are the numbers, with the A1c, that impress her. If / when my numbers go up, I'll be able to show her that they were previously lower, making the deterioration clear.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve always been a bit of a nauseous sufferer though - it was constantly being sick discomfort that started all my tests that found the diabetes
No guarantees - but in my case eating low carb has greatly reduced my digestive problems, which were severe enough to trigger two endoscopies. I have a great many packets of Rennies left on my hands, as I never need them now. (Even though my worst A1c was only 41, I am convinced that elevated bg was affecting my vagus nerve, triggering AF and also reflux.) However, to be honest, tonight I am suffering from uncomfortable bloat after my low carb, high protein meal. I guess you can't win them all. And diabetic complications can take a while to resolve.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Bernstein and Ruhl are quite right. I had blood drawn for my HbA1c which was sent to my normal lab and then the same sample forwarded to a different lab on the instructions of my GP and the Biochemist Consultant. The difference was 4 mmol/mol

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely nobody seems to question the veracity of their first HbA1c, the one used to diagnose them with T2D, but when subsequent tests are not as low as they want, they are apparently “unreliable”

Surely, if the later tests read too high, then the diagnosis test was also too high so you may not have had T2D in the first place.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strangely nobody seems to question the veracity of their first HbA1c, the one used to diagnose them with T2D, but when subsequent tests are not as low as they want, they are apparently “unreliable”

Surely, if the later tests read too high, then the diagnosis test was also too high so you may not have had T2D in the first place.
Until recently the A1c was officially considered so unreliable that a 2nd test was mandatory before diagnosis. I have the impression that this policy has been changed for reasons of cost and convenience (the doctors' convenience!) If a person's A1c is in double figures, obviously they have a problem. In my case, my A1c was only 41 (so not even seen as pre-diabetic in the UK) but when I began home testing I found that my readings were far above what Dr Bernstein, among others, would consider "normal" and it took a huge reduction in carb intake to bring them down at all. I am very interested in my A1c results but have more faith in my home testing results simply because the latter are repeated so often, maybe ironing out the effects of their undeniable inaccuracy, and also because they show the harmful peaks and troughs resulting from too many carbs at any one meal or on any one day.