type one, low carb, no insulin

Susilee

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner was diagnosed with type one diabetes 27th Feb 2018 after years of alcohol (daily intake 6-8 cans guiness) no exercise, a typical processed food high sugar addiction and an acute rampant skin fungal infection.
HbA1c 119 positive GAD antibodies. glucose 39.8 ph 7.39 ketones 1.7 ( came down very quickly)
Given balls-bolus insulin. 5 days in hospital, prescribed 4 injections per day, Dinner on day 3 was creamy mushroom soup, baked potato, chopped carrots and swedes, gravy , white sliced bread , rice pudding, vanilla ice-cream, and a calypso fruit shot.
On leaving he immediately stopped drinking , low carb diet as recommended by sarah may hill and Dr bernstein , returned to skate boarding and started yoga.
Frequent hypos led to a call to his endocrinology professor after 2 weeks which resulted in a telephone discussion where he asked if that rather than increase his carbohydrate intake could he reduce his insulin? 'Reduce insulin by half ' was the reply. Within 4 weeks he came off the insulin entirely, increased his exercise, stayed off the booze and stuck to the recommended low carb diet for type two.

8th June retesting HbA1c: 44 , blood sugar 5-7 mmols. weight stabilised at 11 stone (from 13.5 stone January)
Advised to continue current lifestyle and keep regular blood glucose monitoring. Aware of LADA and honeymoon period.

He was happy on the diet. He was not so happy with the repercussions to his social life of no booze or high carbs but continued.

Is there anyone else out there with type one or knows anyone with type one who has made the decision to eat to achieve normal levels of blood glucose by adjusting carbs and exercise rather than eat to the insulin prescriptions?

I am desperate to find research on this....is anyone able to point me in the right direction....Dr Bernstein suggests low dosages on insulin to protect the pancreas but his levels are good with food and exercise he likes. But none of this is evidence based, at that worries me. or is this just the honey moon period . Or ......... any comments invited

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try tweeting to Dr Lake
https://twitter.com/idlake?lang=en
I think that is fairly public info..
There was another guy who I met at the PHC conference in 2017 who was a member here but his profile name has disappeared so I guess he has left. He was a Type 1 who after 4 years was still not taking insulin.
There are a fair few low carb T1's who have reduced their insulin usage by following a ketogenic diet @Mel dCP , @JoeT1 @NicoleC1971 off the top of my head. They may be able to help.
Your profile says you are a HCP is that correct?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner was diagnosed with type one diabetes 27th Feb 2018 after years of alcohol (daily intake 6-8 cans guiness) no exercise, a typical processed food high sugar addiction and an acute rampant skin fungal infection.
HbA1c 119 positive GAD antibodies. glucose 39.8 ph 7.39 ketones 1.7 ( came down very quickly)
Given balls-bolus insulin. 5 days in hospital, prescribed 4 injections per day, Dinner on day 3 was creamy mushroom soup, baked potato, chopped carrots and swedes, gravy , white sliced bread , rice pudding, vanilla ice-cream, and a calypso fruit shot.
On leaving he immediately stopped drinking , low carb diet as recommended by sarah may hill and Dr bernstein , returned to skate boarding and started yoga.
Frequent hypos led to a call to his endocrinology professor after 2 weeks which resulted in a telephone discussion where he asked if that rather than increase his carbohydrate intake could he reduce his insulin? 'Reduce insulin by half ' was the reply. Within 4 weeks he came off the insulin entirely, increased his exercise, stayed off the booze and stuck to the recommended low carb diet for type two.

8th June retesting HbA1c: 44 , blood sugar 5-7 mmols. weight stabilised at 11 stone (from 13.5 stone January)
Advised to continue current lifestyle and keep regular blood glucose monitoring. Aware of LADA and honeymoon period.

He was happy on the diet. He was not so happy with the repercussions to his social life of no booze or high carbs but continued.

Is there anyone else out there with type one or knows anyone with type one who has made the decision to eat to achieve normal levels of blood glucose by adjusting carbs and exercise rather than eat to the insulin prescriptions?

I am desperate to find research on this....is anyone able to point me in the right direction....Dr Bernstein suggests low dosages on insulin to protect the pancreas but his levels are good with food and exercise he likes. But none of this is evidence based, at that worries me. or is this just the honey moon period . Or ......... any comments invited

Susilee, I can't think of anyone specifically at the moment, but during the honeymoon period, often a person will still be producing some insulin of their own, so a drastic modification to their eating and drinking to scythe many of the carbs out can have a dramatic effect.

That your partner has antibodies and had very high ketones, he is almost certainly T1, so it is imperative that he tests his blood very regularly, as his current insulin situation may not last long.

On an aside, your status suggests you are a Health Care Professional. Could you clarify what sort of work you are engaged in, so that members could gauge where your medical knowledge might be.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
adjusting carbs and exercise rather than eat to the insulin prescriptions?
My insulin prescription says I should use as needed. So how much quick acting insulin I use is highly dependent on what I eat and if doing exercize, although my basal insulin need is fairly stable.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Given the fella's lifestyle it wouldn't surprise me if he was actually a T2. Ok so he had GAD antibodies but this is not a conclusive test and some T2's test positive for GAD, some T1's are not GAD positive........

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/53/12/3193

This 'might' explain why he's shown such a remarkable improvement from a change in lifestyle. If he's genuinely a T1 then his pancreas is on the way out and there's not much that can be done. We used to have a member Kristen (but cannot find her in the member list) who ate only salad stuff and was getting by on 1 or 2 units a day, and I think @June_C (if my memory serves correctly) also stopped taking insulin and was reclassified as a T2.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many people with LADA can go a long time without insulin when low carb (I'm not one of them, but then again, I had had diabetes for at least 2 years before diagnosis). Honeymoon period may last long or short, but please keep an eye on the numbers, as you don't want to go in DKA again when insulin is needed.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sounds like he’s honeymooning to me, and the initial insulin, low carb and less alcohol has relieved the workload on his (probably dying) pancreas, so that it’s able to chuck out enough insulin - for now. If it’s T1 or LADA, it’ll pack in eventually and he’ll be insulin dependent, I’m afraid.

I roughly follow the Bernstein method myself, eating less than 30g carbs a day, although not over three meals, as I don’t eat that often because I’m not hungry in the mornings. Before I started, I was on 36-40 units of Lantus and the same again of Novorapid a day, now I’m on 22-30u total (I’m using a pump now, so it’s all Novorapid). He could theoretically extend his honeymoon period by being very gentle on his pancreas, mine’s completely knackered after 20 years! Check out the “typeonegrit” page on Facebook, there’s plenty of stuff there which might help.

Reactions: Antje77

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First of all, congratulations to your partner for the fantastic changes he's made! These will undoubtedly prolong his life, especially if he can keep motivated to maintain them long-term.

I'm Type 1 of 28 years, and read Dr Bernstein only recently. I recall him writing about those who switch to low-carb soon after diagnosis can preserve beta cell function in the pancreas. I don't know how long for, but it's got to be worth trying. If nothing else, then normalising BG levels will certainly help his long-term health prospects.

I've gone keto six months ago, and it's amazing. My insulin requirements have dropped from about 40-45u/day to 11-12u/day. My HbA1c has dropped from low-/mid-60s to 51, and I expect it to fall further. Daily hypos have now become more like 1-2 a week.

Good luck to you both, and keep up the good work!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Susilee ,

Though I doubt it's as simple as ditching the booze (well done on that.) & picking up the board...

This thread maybe something you are looking for... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/dan-darkes-type-1-diabetes-reversal.153777/#post-1832094

There is never a garantee on your partner's BS stability regarding just excersising the condition into submission...

Edited to add; I've done a little Yoga. From what i got from it, was concentration (call it "meditation.") & breathing control under a certain form of physical duress? (Others may have a different view to my own.?)

But good luck to your fella!

Last edited:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, sounds like the honeymoon period to me too. Kudos for taking up low carb. When the honeymoon period ends, low carbing will still be the best solution to achieve excellent diabetes control

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Amazing how many type 1s are actually type 2s....i think many genuine type 1 members on here would love to cut insulin completely. ..but they cant..as weve been reminded before type 1 is not the same as type 2..but well done anyway

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
You can ask for a C peptide test only costs about £6 but it tests to see how much insulin is still being produced and would help doctors to identify which type of diabetes, knowing for sure would indicate whether regular blood testing and insulin would be required or if this can simply be controlled by diet alone.

Either way he's been pretty lucky and this scare will hopefully keep on track to a much healthier lifestyle.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all, congratulations to your partner for the fantastic changes he's made! These will undoubtedly prolong his life, especially if he can keep motivated to maintain them long-term.

I'm Type 1 of 28 years, and read Dr Bernstein only recently. I recall him writing about those who switch to low-carb soon after diagnosis can preserve beta cell function in the pancreas. I don't know how long for, but it's got to be worth trying. If nothing else, then normalising BG levels will certainly help his long-term health prospects.

I've gone keto six months ago, and it's amazing. My insulin requirements have dropped from about 40-45u/day to 11-12u/day. My HbA1c has dropped from low-/mid-60s to 51, and I expect it to fall further. Daily hypos have now become more like 1-2 a week.

Good luck to you both, and keep up the good work!
Sorry forgot about you in my original post..! I'll have to start a list!

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Gina G

Hi Susilee
My Son aged 30 diagnosed end of March 2018
They said they thought he was type 1, blood in urine, bs 17....sent home with insulin 10 units on an evening
2/3 days later he was dropping into the 2s so he was told to reduce his insulin to 6, still in the 2's so was told to stop insulin
So all in all he was off insulin by the 2nd week, he has been controlling his BS for the last 11months he excercises daily
He eats low carb, high fat meals ...lots of veg, cheese, salads, fish/chicken, has a treat every Saturday eg Burger or pizza .
Weve been in touch with a professor in diabetes, his view is that my son could be type 2 which is in remission or if type 1 which he doubts, could be in honeymoon stage. Or ....could have had a very bad pancreatic attack the weekend his bloods shot up, his readings have never gone above 5.5-6 since diagnosed, all without any medication or insulin

The Professor looking after my son believes it's very hard to go a year without insulin if your type1 usually you need a little insulin occasionally or meds, as you can have spikes ....so yes it can be done, but time will tell
Good luck to your fella xx

Last edited by a moderator:

Gina G

...forgot to add HbA1c checked 3 times been at 5.5/5.5/5.4
Gad test/C peptide (a 3rd test sorry I can't remember it) where all negative
ZNt8a test came back positive, but the Professor wasn't to bothered about that.