Type 1'stars R Us

K

Knikki

I'd revert back to the previous version.
Although, knowing my luck it still wouldn't work because I didn't clear everything out and then forget to eat because I was having too much "fun"debugging the Xbox.

Unfortunately, I can't, there is no revert back on the Xbox, plus I cant even get it to boot to the main interface, so at the moment it is just a brick :(

Reactions: porl69

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the pump clinic next Tuesday to see if i may be a suitable candidate for one. Last week had a really good week, but as with all things type 1, overnight and this morning, its all gone wrong (or maybe right). I am deliberately not taking any additional correction doses.

So a decent day yesterday from midday to bedtime, staying around the 6.5 mark, which i am happy with. Bed on a 6.2, slight movement to 6.6 at 2.45am, before finally reaching 10.6 when i got up this morning. Welcome back dawn phenomenon.

Had my porridge plus correction does and 2 hours later sat at 13.9:banghead::banghead::banghead:. Now just before lunch sitting at 10.4. I would have expected this to be around 6. So more correction dose with lunch and lets see how this goes.

I am also keeping a food and insulin diary for the next 9 days, give the consultant something to work with

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I remembered to take my rings off but my watch also keeps track of my activity and I didn't want to mis out on my steps up and down the garden. And when I say "up" I mean up as it is a steep garden.
Oxford and my garden are flat and flood so the walking around is easy for me, must be hard on a slope, good exercise though

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 I'm doing the heavy duty stuff this afternoon............ got 75 tulip bulbs to plant and all the leaves to bring together and dead heading and the list goes on. No long walk though so hope madam BG will behave................. unlikely!
Good luck! :)

Reactions: kev-w

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the pump clinic next Tuesday to see if i may be a suitable candidate for one. Last week had a really good week, but as with all things type 1, overnight and this morning, its all gone wrong (or maybe right). I am deliberately not taking any additional correction doses.

So a decent day yesterday from midday to bedtime, staying around the 6.5 mark, which i am happy with. Bed on a 6.2, slight movement to 6.6 at 2.45am, before finally reaching 10.6 when i got up this morning. Welcome back dawn phenomenon.

Had my porridge plus correction does and 2 hours later sat at 13.9:banghead::banghead::banghead:. Now just before lunch sitting at 10.4. I would have expected this to be around 6. So more correction dose with lunch and lets see how this goes.

I am also keeping a food and insulin diary for the next 9 days, give the consultant something to work with

So how did after lunch go, well not that great. Just about to drive home at 4pm and its dropped down to 4.5, so cup of coffee 2 sugars and a biscuit and within 5 minutes its up to 5.9. Drive home it now 8.4, an hour later its dropped backed down to 5.9 and falling.

One thing predictable about type 1, is the unpredictable:mad::mad::mad:

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stay at mums for the half term- realised I had left my pen needles and insulin once I had got here (183miles)- so no turning back!

Luckily my GP was able to send an electronic prescription to a local
pharmacy here in Sheffield. ‍♀️

Surrounded by food pushers again- sugars not as steady as I like but not bad either. :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just tested b4 i go to bed and hypo again at 3.2 although i dont feel ill would illness make you have lower bgs normally im high if im not well im sat here with a piece of toast im not even hungry grrr

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just tested b4 i go to bed and hypo again at 3.2 although i dont feel ill would illness make you have lower bgs normally im high if im not well im sat here with a piece of toast im not even hungry grrr
I think that's the one thing I truly resent about T1 - having to eat sometimes when I really, really, really don't want to!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @helensaramay, You raise a very pertinent question. And the wish to be super-independent is boon and a curse regarding this.
In early years, before glucose meters and better insulins, I was canoeing alone, hiking and doing 7 day canoe trips through wilderness terrain with relative strangers, and went tramping around New Zealand by myself at times.
At the now 52 year mark on insulin after one particularly bad hypo where i stopped breathing and my wife saved me ( some mouth to mouth resuscitation and 2 glucagon injections later) I cannot imagine being on my own.
That episode led to me being on an insulin pump and that has made a BIG difference but not enough to relish any thought of living alone. I have to agree with the notion that control of one's type 1 diabetes becomes more difficult the longer one has it but CGM in whatever form, pumps etc have changed the diabetes landscape for TIDs so much in recent years that there are better chances of being independent for longer is my guess.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @helensaramay, You raise a very pertinent question. And the wish to be super-independent is boon and a curse regarding this.
In early years, before glucose meters and better insulins, I was canoeing alone, hiking and doing 7 day canoe trips through wilderness terrain with relative strangers, and went tramping around New Zealand by myself at times.
At the now 52 year mark on insulin after one particularly bad hypo where i stopped breathing and my wife saved me ( some mouth to mouth resuscitation and 2 glucagon injections later) I cannot imagine being on my own.
That episode led to me being on an insulin pump and that has made a BIG difference but not enough to relish any thought of living alone. I have to agree with the notion that control of one's type 1 diabetes becomes more difficult the longer one has it but CGM in whatever form, pumps etc have changed the diabetes landscape for TIDs so much in recent years that there are better chances of being independent for longer is my guess.

What a wonderful post.

I have to agree how the hell did those of us with type 1 for 30+ years actually survive 1970-1990 when we had no blood test meters, all we had was pee on a stick which was useless

Now we have blood meters, cgm, better insulins, insulin pumps. Where are we going to be in the next 30 years

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So how did after lunch go, well not that great. Just about to drive home at 4pm and its dropped down to 4.5, so cup of coffee 2 sugars and a biscuit and within 5 minutes its up to 5.9. Drive home it now 8.4, an hour later its dropped backed down to 5.9 and falling.

One thing predictable about type 1, is the unpredictable:mad::mad::mad:

It sure is. Hope you got back up a bit.
I’ve been hopping about a bit too, probably a mix of the colder weather and fighting a cold. Even with a reduced night time Levemir dose I managed an extended early morning low. It may also be the result of lots of novo for the previous day’s bug cold-fighting highs and feeling too duff to exercise.
Today’s been a bit better but I think it’s time to lower the daytime Levemir too.
Now what will tonight and tomorrow bring? I’ll be happy if it’s no more than a bit of wobbling.

Reactions: kev-w

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
What a wonderful post.

I have to agree how the hell did those of us with type 1 for 30+ years actually survive 1970-1990 when we had no blood test meters, all we had was pee on a stick which was useless

Now we have blood meters, cgm, better insulins, insulin pumps. Where are we going to be in the next 30 years
Totally agree.

Well done to a 4.4...alarmed at 4.30 to a 3.4 grrr.

Today's the day I find out of the pump Dr if I am going on a pump. Appointment at 10am. Nervous to say the least

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....

I understand and agree with you @kitedoc however where you say it becomes more difficult the longer one has it in my case is not quite the case.....
I'm only at the 44 year mark on insulin (lol) and find I have more tools at my fingertips and more knowledge (this forum should take a bow) but I worry more therfore spend more time using the tools and knowledge to narrow down my levels ultimately because we are going to die and I want to die of old age and not any diabetes related illness therfore the only way to achieve this is by better control!
Which is what I worry about more now than ever before........

Please don't think I'm arguing or being rude as I do find it hard to articulate myself at times and can come across as being rude its just I find the anxiety of diabetes harder to control than the diabetes itself.

I woke at 5.30 with a reading of 6.7 and have struggled a bit since I have returned from holiday so I should be happy with that......no ...I wanted 5.7 so near and yet so far I sighed to my blood machine.

Ridiculous I know.

Have a top Tuesday

Tony

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all :) 12.2 waking, from a 14 at 4am I corrected for, currently 8.6 with a sloping line and twice the bolus I've used for breakfast for the last lot of years taken, back to brown rice tonight as ad libbing food for the child's not working that well :) I thought the ex was back today but its Friday, says she misheard her dad on the dates, I gave her my opinion on that in a couple of words only....
Child came home yesterday with a smashed phone, tells me a boy snatched it from her locker, ran off and threw it on the floor so I'm going in about that after breakfast, her first half term ends on Friday and it's the second time she's had one smashed so needs nipping in the bud quickly I think.

Can you tell I've woken grumpy :p

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @Tony337, And I do appreciate your comments and writings.
I guess each of us may be at different places in our journeys. Perhaps I have "the glass is half empty" type attitude whereas you may be of the more optimistic " the glass is half full" viewpoint.
And knowing when to strive and battle to reach a better way of travelling along one's life journey, and when to endure the weather squalls and then find a better way forward are some of life's challenges. Was it the Kenny Rogers song about ' when to bid up and when to fold"?
Living in the here and now as it is called has some merit but our experiences tell us that we need some vigilance to stay well, and foresight to stem or prevent troubles.
The quote "live each day as if it was your last" sounds inviting but who wishes to party, drink oneself into oblivion every day?
Live each day to make your life and others' better - might be a better ideal!!
Thanks again!! A balloon is a wonderous thing, unless it is made of lead !!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Dexcom alerted me at 1am to say I was at 4.1 and falling so turned basal off the pump for one hour and woke this morning at 4.4, needless to say if I didn't have this technology I would be waking at 3am sweating profusely and gulping down glucotabs and waking feeling like I'd been clubbing all night. It's a big commitment each month to self fund but it's making such a major impact on my control that I would rather do this than have hypos impacting on my daily life, it's also helping me avoid the hypers too so giving me much better stability, so hoping at my next eye test to reverse my background retinopathy.

K

Knikki

@kitedoc seems you have had a bit of rough ride in the past, then again I think most of us long termers have at some point have hit a brick wall but through luck and bloody mindedness (made up word) have pulled our selves through to live and tell a tale or too to younger ones who complain about modern day needles :rolleyes:

@Tony337 Indeed how did we ever survive the 70's-80's & 90's with out the aid of modern meters and Etch A Sketch but as you say the technology improves and helps us no end but I also am beginning to feel a bit....well...not sure about it, you seem to find yourself becoming a slave to the numbers when in the "good old days" (sarcasm) you just knuckled down and got on with it :hilarious:

On a side note, after yesterdays "battle of the high numbers" I'm back my usual low, which in my world is good and I'm sat here with a coffee and a flake :joyful: and running at a 4.8 :cool:

Happy days

Last edited by a moderator:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, my kettle just died, and tripped the rcd thingy in the process. I need coffee.

Anyway, that is a more than survivable event.

Since I reduced the amount of insulin I was having with my evening meal, to a tiny amount, my night time blood sugars have been much nicer.

I think freestyle libre has made a massive difference to managing blood sugars, so reading the @Tony337 and @kitedoc debate, I'm inclined to take a seat perfectly balanced on the fence. I'm sure it probably gets a bit harder to manage blood sugars as we get older, but nothing like as hard as it would have been before.

PWD often become frail as they get older, more so than people without, but I think libre is likely to be a game changer on that, not for everyone, obviously, but for those who can, and are willing, to do what is needed.

The antioxidants in my body had a nice night of routine maintenance rather than crisis management, the more that happens the happier I am.