Meter Problem HELP...dodgy meter(s) ? ?

MoroFenrir

Ok so we have two blood glucose meters, one for in the house and one for in the car.

We always make sure to use the same meter for the before and after readings.

We decided to test both meters, as we seem to be getting much higher readings when at home.

At home we have the codefree meter that was recommended on here, in the car we have a countour meter.

We read my partner's blood, using both meters at the same time (from the same drop of blood)

First time we get 7.3 on the contour (post meal - fab) but on the codefree 8.5 (not so great)

46241985_500261713788352_4649044352637599744_n.jpg

So straight away we measure again, again using the same (new) blood drop for both meters.

Once more we get 7.8 on the countour, 1/2 point deviation, still pretty good post meal , and I think 1/2 point deviation is fair.
This time however we get 9.7 on the codefree! over a point higher than the previous measurement on the same machine, nearly 2 points over the other machine, and a very high reading.
46218660_267341980588251_2431628908957794304_n.jpg
I believe the codefree is faulty...we're constantly getting higher readings with that at home, than with the contour while we're out...despite the fact my parter is eating NOTHING that should spike her.
(Fish, Meat, Cheese, Keto Bread etc)

How do we know which one is giving the right reading ?

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so we have two blood glucose meters, one for in the house and one for in the car.

We decided to test both meters, as we seem to be getting much higher readings when at home.

At home we have the codefree meter that was recommended on here, in the car we have a countour meter.

We read my partner's blood, using both meters at the same time (from the same drop of blood)

First time we get 7.3 on the contour (post meal - fab) but on the codefree 8.5 (not so great)

View attachment 29533

So straight away we measure again, again using the same (new) blood drop for both meters.

Once more we get 7.8 on the countour, 1/2 point deviation, still pretty good post meal , and I think 1/2 point deviation is fair.
This time however we get 9.7 on the codefree! over a point higher than the previous measurement on the same machine, nearly 2 points over the other machine, and a very high reading.
View attachment 29532
I believe the codefree is faulty...we're constantly getting higher readings with that at home, than with the contour while we're out...despite the fact my parter is eating NOTHING that should spike her.

I'm using a codefree and that is giving me higher readings than the contour next one I used last week.
There was a post by someone last week about a dodgy batch of codefree strips , as it happens thats the batch i'm using now getting the higher readings. The batch no is SO318075 check and see if thats the one your using , if it is then the contour is probably the correct reading. I just bought 100 of codefree strips last week:banghead:.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2

View attachment 29533

View attachment 29532

I found the codefree gave me high(er) readings too.
I had an emergency not too long ago that entailed ambulance crew attention.
When I informed them that I have a T2DM diagnosis, the meter he tested me with was the Contour.
I know my conclusion is not scientific, I would go with the contour being as
1) It is used by health care professionals
2) Its margin of error is +/- 8.5% as opposed to the +/- 15% of the codefree which is the industry standard though
This is just my personal opinion. A lot of folks on here use and are happy with the code free.
I personally wasn't happy with it.
I try to maintain very tight control and the extra 1-1.5mmol/l higher readings were quite aggravating.

MoroFenrir

I'm using a codefree and that is giving me higher readings than the contour next one I used last week.
There was a post by someone last week about a dodgy batch of codefree strips , as it happens thats the batch i'm using now getting the higher readings. The batch no is SO318075 check and see if thats the one your using , if it is then the contour is probably the correct reading. I just bought 100 of codefree strips last week:banghead:.

Magic Number Baby.
New Image.jpg

Looks like I need to email homehealth, as I just bought 100 of the strips too !

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Magic Number Baby.
View attachment 29538
Looks like I need to email homehealth, as I just bought 100 of the strips too !

Yeah thats the one so your contour is the correct reading.
I have another type of meter coming tomorrow as I've lost faith in the codefree.
Would use the contour next one that I have but the cost of strips is on the expensive side.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had been happy with the Code Free which I have used since diagnosis but more recently becoming frustrated with inconsistent readings. I am more and more getting unexpected readings and on retest I get a reading more expected. I got a Care Sens Dual meter free a while back as a spare. The strips are more expensive but I have ordered a couple of tubs of strips for parallel testing and if it proves more consistent I may well swap. In the meantime I’m about to start my new order of strips on the Code Free and you’ve guessed it they are batch number S0318075 :wideyed::banghead:

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, phooey. I have that dreaded batch number too. But I've been fairly pleased with its readings so far. Or so I thought. Maybe that means I should be even more pleased...?!

(I'm fairly sure the ginormous jump in numbers from eating salt and pepper prawns and some prawn crackers from the Chinese takeaway recently was accurate though...:bag:)

Reactions: LeftPeg

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had been happy with the Code Free which I have used since diagnosis but more recently becoming frustrated with inconsistent readings. I am more and more getting unexpected readings and on retest I get a reading more expected. I got a Care Sens Dual meter free a while back as a spare. The strips are more expensive but I have ordered a couple of tubs of strips for parallel testing and if it proves more consistent I may well swap. In the meantime I’m about to start my new order of strips on the Code Free and you’ve guessed it they are batch number S0318075 :wideyed::banghead:
That's happening to me lately too!!! I thought it was me @Rachox

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The proper way to test a meter is by using a control solution. The variation in blood testing, even on the same finger doesn't make it very scientific.

Control solution is essentially “fake blood” that contains a known level of glucose. It is applied to a test strip just like a normal blood sample, and the resulting reading lets you know how well that test strip and your meter are working.

Should be available from your local chemist.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that the main recommendation for the Codefree meter on here is that it is cheap.

In most things in life you get what you pay for.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that the main recommendation for the Codefree meter on here is that it is cheap.

In most things in life you get what you pay for.
I’m beginning to think you’re right. Though it is not working out cheap more recently with the number of retests I’m doing.
This morning I did a test with my old batch and the much maligned batch S0318075: old batch 5.3 dodgy batch 6.3! :wideyed:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must be missing something. I can't see the point of control solutions. The strips typically have a range of +/- 20% with the control solution so unless your meter is broken, which you probably know anyway, how do they test accuracy?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must be missing something. I can't see the point of control solutions. The strips typically have a range of +/- 20% with the control solution so unless your meter is broken, which you probably know anyway, how do they test accuracy?
I must be missing something too. I agree they are only going to show up gross inaccuracy, such as a major malfunction.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my new meter and tested against the Codefree not a lot of difference between reading.
Pic1.jpg

Will use again after I've had something to eat.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Stick to 1 meter!! There will always be a difference in meter values. I believe it is 15% +/- deviance allowed?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stick to 1 meter!! There will always be a difference in meter values. I believe it is 15% +/- deviance allowed?
As a rough guide, a 15% difference on a reading of 10mmol/l gives +/- 1.5 mmol/l, so at a reading of 5 mmol/l then it should be approx half that. So a difference of 2 mmol/l that I got last night is way out of expected variance. Trouble is I do not know which meter is wrong since they both have the 15% allowance so double the variance when comparing side by side i.e could be 30% apart and still be considered within spec.

There is another thread discussing this problem, and others in the past also - it seems to be the Codefree that triggers such discussions, and many complain about high and inconsistent readings. As @britishpub says, you pay for cheapness in the long run.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:rolleyes:Took readings side by side.

2hrs after banana and coffee with cream.
Pic2.jpg

2hrs after John West Morrocan Salad and strawberries and yoghurt.
Pic3.jpg

Dunno why that image turned round but as you can see from both Pics theer is no difference between the 2 BG meters.

Going to be using the eBwell monitor in future as the strips are cheaper got 200 coming for £17.95.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive asked several times but had no explanations other than don’t double test!

I have more than once had readings from the SAME meter from the same blood drop that are more than 15% apart. Clean finger Minute or less apart. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is one reading up to 15% high and one 15% low. To me that’s worse than two meters being consistent within themselves but not each other. At least then trends and changes are still relevant so long as you stick to one meter.