Type 1 Life expectancy

GregoryLucas

Hi, I`ve been a type 1 diabetic since I was thirteen (24 now). I`ve been focusing my life on a possible better future, focusing on keep studying my ass off to get a good job (Ì`m a graduating lawyer in Brazil). Nevertheless, I`ve only recently realised that I don`t know any type one diabetic over 50 years old. When I was a teenager I used to practice a lot of sport and my blood control was way better. Starting to work and study hard, there is no time and it all seems pointless. My health is going downwards. Is it worth to sacrifice a good control to be able to work and study harder so maybe in the future it will all be better? Anyway, is there any type one diabetic who is old enough and got through that?

Thank you.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just noticed your thread, and had to answer :)
I'm 53 years, and have had my T1 for just almost as long as that.

We have a few others here, who are really (also) from the dawn of time :D...

Edited to add: aiming for something like 100...

Reactions: Knikki
D

Deleted Account

I am over 50, have type 1 and have no complications.
Until I joined this forum, I knew no one else with type 1 of that age.
But, there again, I don't know many people with type 1 diabetes.
Or, if I do, we don't spend our time making it public.
I suspect we also get a little overshadowed by people with type 2 because 9 out of 10 people with diabetes have type 2.
Diabetes UK gives out medals for 50, 60, 70 and 8o years with diabetes: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/medals

As for whether it is worthwhile sacrificing good control for a good time, I would say you can do both.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My uncle is a T1, has been since he was about 14, had his 65th Birthday this year, he has complications, but has been through serveral episodes of burnout where he didn't take good care of himself. When he was diagnosed back in the 60's some kind medic told him he would live to see 30!

GregoryLucas

Thank you for the replies! Sometimes I get a bit unmotivated, knowing that getting to fifty alive would be something that would earn me a medal. But it`s great to know that some people have achieved that.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I'm not at 50 yet, cos I'm only 43, but I've had T1 since I was 2 so have passed 40 years with it so far.
And I know my control through my 20s and some of my 30s was dubious at best.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm not at 50 yet, cos I'm only 43, but I've had T1 since I was 2 so have passed 40 years with it so far.
And I know my control through my 20s and some of my 30s was dubious at best.

Same here....I mean this dubious at best...

Reactions: Rokaab
D

Deleted Account

Forgot to mention, those celebrating 40+ years with type 1 diabetes did it without basal bolus insulin, insulin pens, insulin pumps, finger prick meters, CGM, ... during their 20s and probably beyond.
I think we are very lucky to have this technology now. It may not be perfect but it is much closer to perfection than mixed insulin and peeing on a stick.
If people have survived 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 years with the technology they had 30+ years ago, I have motivation and hope I can survive beyond my 70th birthday.

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! I'm now over 50. Been T1 since my 8th birthday.
Work full time, play in two bands.. It's all pretty good my end. Can't complain! :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You better had do :cat: so many innuendos still to be had plus I fully intend to be a major PITA until at least into my 90's and beyond on this forum :hilarious:

I'm reasoning your innuendos will do me before the diabetes does.. ;):D

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
My aunt is 63, diagnosed at 4 and still going strong! She has had her ups and her downs but she is living life to the fullest.

Reactions: Dawnybee and Jaylee
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there, I am a nifty 60 and type 1 for 30 years next year, I also had my daughter at 42 1/2 years old, it was my my best diabetes moment ever :happy::joyful:

Suedono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I've been type 1 for 44 years. Diagnosed at 18 now 62. Had two children who are now both type 2. The technology today has helped to control this much better. Hope to have it a few more years to come....

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Maybe I should add that I have 20 years under my belt and my mum has 40

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
43 years Type 1 here, had a few lumps and bumps along the way but came through most ok, still chefing and working harder than I was in my 20's but that might just be an age thing

Reactions: kitedoc and Knikki

natalia9

Hi. My partner has had type 1 for 65 years (is now 74) and is still going strong with little complications. He has been on a pump now for over 20 years and has also just discovered freestyle libre which he loves. His diabetes has always been unpredictable but he is the most disciplined person I know when it comes to food. Always has been. Controls his carbs and eats loads of fresh veg. Keeps levels as close to normal as possible and never gets complacent. Hope this helps. By the way, he is 19 years my senior and can still out walk me.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
T1D for 52 years here in Sunny Australia.
Cataracts, some carpal tunnels ops and trigger fingers along the way, maybe, just maybe some BP drops.
But enjoying life, now retired. Kidneys -good, heart - good, circulation -good, eyes - - good after cataracts done.
Brain power ? - sufficient for demand !!

Reactions: Robinredbreast