Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
PS

I got off track.

Re Meats, I eat a lot more meat since potatoes, pasta & bread got dropped.

On a business trip to Europe, I was taken out to eat and had the most expensive steak — it was crazy good!

Dry aged for 6 weeks.

I learned how to do this at home.

It turns even inexpensive cuts into tender & moist wonders.
I cannot tick the informative button for you, since I need more information. Please spill the beans on moist beef - mine comes out like shoeleather.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS

I got off track.

Re Meats, I eat a lot more meat since potatoes, pasta & bread got dropped.

On a business trip to Europe, I was taken out to eat and had the most expensive steak — it was crazy good!

Dry aged for 6 weeks.

I learned how to do this at home.

It turns even inexpensive cuts into tender & moist wonders.

You can't tease us with that without a link or explanation on how to do it! The one problem I have with our
favourite butcher is that I don't think he ages his beef enough... so how to do it at home would be great especially from someone who has done it themselves! Pretty please..

Reactions: Oldvatr

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Boothe's do 35 day aged beef if you have a store near you.

M

Member496333

Not a chance. I do have some ethical hangups with the mistreatment of livestock in industrial farming, and therefore make efforts to buy responsibly sourced meat whenever reasonably possible, but ultimately nature put me in a place in the food chain where I’m biologically adapted to thrive on animal products. It’s the circle of life - everything that lives must die. I’m an animal and I enjoy eating other animals. Selfish perhaps but nature doesn’t have much time for moral scruples. My role in evolution is to survive and thrive.

Also...bacon...so yeah. No.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No chance! Enjoy it way too much and it’s the foundation of my turnaround in health.

Reactions: Member496333

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't be able to survice without meat! It keeps me healthy and blood sugars low, so not I would not go meat-free!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there will be a big divide on opinions on this thread, depending on whether one is using LCHF or keto to control ones diabetes, or not.

ethically, I can see the argument for vegetarian, but realistically, for my own health, its not an option. I cannot eat nuts, or most beans either, for other reasons.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I love the taste, the smell and the texture of meat and I feel no guilt about eating it. I do not feel the need to make excuses or offer up reasons as to why I partake, it's my choice.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
A headmaster asked me what I hoped to find in heaven. I said "If there's no bacon, I aint going there!"

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Of course not!! I will never replace meat with industrially processed mould!

Last edited:

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
No meat? I know some vegans (business partner is one of them that was extreme carnivorous, and converted from a weight-lifting, high exercise lifestyle). But he is not diabetic. One of his daughters and her dogs are vegan. Dogs, vegan? Really! While I was always a meat eater, but minimal, I am now as much meat as I can handle (not a lot) and other low carb/no carb foods such as peanut butter, sausages, cheese, etc. No more sugary pop - at all (and I used to drink that stuff like water). Besides dropping from 210 lbs to 160 lbs and from 18mmol to 6.4 mmol, and feeling great, I am more alert, sleep less, and my mild IBS is under control. Cholesteroal is perfect. Prostate PSA is extreme low - so much so my doc did a biopsy just to make sure the readings weren't wrong. I just can't quit bread but switched to the lowest carb bread that I could tolerate and avoid sweets if at all possible. Now, with all the bad press about contaminated lettuce and vegetables in North America (I am in Canada), meat looks better every day. BTW, I am 70 and work 12-14 hr days from a home office - but have 4 dogs for exercise. Put some links on the griddle and return to your primal state :)

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot tick the informative button for you, since I need more information. Please spill the beans on moist beef - mine comes out like shoeleather.
Sous vide as a cooking method stops that one in it's tracks..

M

Member496333

A vegan dog? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot :hilarious:

Honestly though I have no issue with vegans. Just means more bacon for the rest of us :)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was vegetarian when diagnosed. I decided to introduce meat for my health and so I could easily do low carb. Not sure being veggie would work now as I can’t seem to tolerate more than 20g. I won’t be giving up meat and don’t feel bad as I buy good quality and high welfare meat. I’m afraid whilst taming this beast of DM, I need to think of myself.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to buy local, off the farm meat from my butcher around the corner, buy the whole thing when it was a sheep or pig, and lots of cheaper cuts of beef - but he had to close as he could not make a living from it, the supermarkets are just too cheap, and people only want the 'best' cuts, so his skill was wasted. I think he really enjoyed bringing in and butchering the carcass for me.
I certainly miss having the small joints just the right size and all properly cut rather than - for instance, chops cut across the bone. That can be very painful if you are unwary enough not to expect a sharp point hidden in the meat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eco friendly Boil-in-the-bag eh? Beware the botulism fairy!

Nah its ok I no longer eat hazelnut yoghurts...

"The largest recorded outbreak of foodborne botulism in the United Kingdom occurred in June 1989. A total of 27 patients were affected; one patient died. Twenty-five of the patients had eaten one brand of hazelnut yogurt in the week before the onset of symptoms. Control measures included the cessation of all yogurt production by the implicated producer, the withdrawal of the firm's yogurts from sale, the recall of cans of the hazelnut conserve, and advice to the general public to avoid the consumption of all hazelnut yogurts.[56]"

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I gave up meat 40 years ago for environmental and ethical reasons and never looked back. Even on a low carb healthy fat diet I have a plentiful and varied diet. From an HbA1c of 104 at diagnosis I was down to non-diabetic numbers within 5 months and have remained there for over 4 years. So far, so good and I can't see any reason to reintroduce meat into my diet.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love meat, but would I give it up if I had to, of course, so would everyone else if there was a good enough reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.