Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The more I see in the media the more I realise just what a small group of people among the population there are who actually do low carb high fat and certainly few diabetics except here. Even when occasionally we see something that says lowering the starchy carbs is good still low fat is promoted as the healthy way to eat not just here but in other countries around the world so even when we see sometimes that fat is not bad anymore it hasn't really taken off Vegetarian and vegan is becoming far more popular now as so many people have decided they do not want to eat animal products. I must admit I do not eat much meat or dairy these days simply because I have lost the taste for it and so I do buy quite a lot of meat free stuff like Quorn these days and enjoy it better
Just wondered how others here feel about it and would you ever give up meat

If the alternative, was as tasty and allowed my body to be as healthy as it is now, because of my carb intolerance and also allowing my aversion to a lot of vegetables, then, why not!
However, I hate the idea, because of some religiously motivated fanaticism that is at this time promoting vegan or similar diet, then that is a different matter.

I like meat, I enjoy food and for health reasons, I have to have that balance of protein, animal fats (because of my body's dislike of different oils and fats) and the very small amount of carbs that doesn't make me ill.

I have no future plans to replace my meat!

And because, I can't drink, can't do other things, my only other enjoyment is sport based, so meat is important in my life.

Dairy is not vegan!
Having a lactose intolerance is something that I have but has nothing to do with eating meat!
Dairy has an important role in humans dietary needs and should be not be classed as vegan!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes.
I was a vegetarian when I went to University nearly 45 years ago and have varied between being a meat earer and a pescetarian ever since - partly on ethical grouns, partly because I dont like most meat ( rib eye steak and unsmoked bacon being the exceptions)
I currently eat meat, but only very occasionally ( maybe 2 or 3 times a month) I get most of my protein from tofu, natto, nuts, eggs, nut butters, soya / nut milks, fish, shellfish etc

Last edited:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I love meat, but would I give it up if I had to, of course, so would everyone else if there was a good enough reason.
I won't.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd starve and be unhealthy so why?
People who do not eat meat do not starve and die or are unhealthy The body does not actually need meat to be healthy people eat it because they enjoy it

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People who do not eat meat do not starve and die or are unhealthy The body does not actually need meat to be healthy people eat it because they enjoy it

As I eat an almost totally meat based diet I would indeed starve.. and people who don't eat meat can sometimes be very unhealthy and I can assure you they certainly die (as of course does everybody eventually).
Your body would in my opinion be far healthier on a meat based diet than on any other type. However please feel free to eat exactly what you wish but please don't assume you know anything about what makes me healthy ok?

Reactions: mahola

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to - at the moment I'm only eating fish, and should probably stop that too, mostly for ethical/environmental reasons. Also, living by myself there isn't much point buying meat. It's a very personal decision, though. Can't imagine going vegan - need cheese, and milk for my tea!

I do wonder if some people are put off, particularly veganism, by the 'proselytizing' (sp?) of some adherents. For instance, in Glasgow at the moment there are posters and adverts on buses about how cruel dairy is, taking calves from their mothers, and it just winds me up. If people are going to get to that point, they will make the decision themselves. Ramming it down their throats seems unlikely to acheive very much.
I agree with you there it should be a personal decision to be vegetarian or vegan and not for someone to try and make people feel guilty for eating meat and yes like you no substitute for real milk in my tea

Reactions: Robinredbreast

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
So if you were bitten by a Lone Star tick and developed a possibly life threatening allergy to meat you would still eat it?
Yes. I'd still eat meat from poultry.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont like the idea of killing animals to eat when we could survive without it, I generally hold animals in higher regard than humans but im just too lazy to go vegetarian, would I give up meat? Yes I would, will I? Probly not

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been vegetarian since my second year at uni so 35 years or so. My choice, my preference for numerous reasons. Happy cooking meat for those who eat it and don't force my choices on others.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son is a strapping lad and has been vegetarian for a few years now after working in an abattior, he lasted 2 days, walked out and gave up meat.
He has been on a healthy eating plan, with fasting too and continues to lift weights, he said he feels so much better now and looks leaner and all the ladies are always chatting to him.:)
I was a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years in the 1990's, eventually succumbed to a bacon sandwich after some news that I received. I don't eat meat all the time, but would I give it up if I had to, then the answer is yes I would. I love my vegetables, especially raw with a nice garlic dip, one of my favourite meals is a home made veg curry :hungry:
Too tired to cook tonight, so it's a BLT for me :hungry::joyful:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

My son doesn't eat meat and is in the best health he has been in for years, he looks and feels really good.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So if you were bitten by a Lone Star tick and developed a possibly life threatening allergy to meat you would still eat it?

Just googled the Lone Star Tick, it can also cause an allergy to diary too :wideyed:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure it is vegetarians that suffer ill health, but I am damned sure vegans would without all the supplements they need.

I'm a live and let live person, but when I see what my adult grandchildren are doing it upsets me. They are both vegan but eat a vast amount of carbs and processed pretend rubbish, plus bottles of supplements.

Many years ago as a school girl I used to walk past a field everyday where sheep were grazing. This field was attached to an abattoir and each day I blew them all a kiss as I knew this grass would be their last meal. I told my parents I was going vegetarian (this was in the 60's). I don't think there were any vegans in those days. I lasted a whole day ... I simply could not resist the smell of bacon frying and stuffed a bacon butty in my mouth. That is the nearest I have ever been. I can console myself by thinking what life would be like for us with empty fields, no cows or sheep, no calves or baby sheep frolicking about in the spring time. Up here where I live that would be unthinkable. We have no crops growing as the land is unsuitable, we are just dairy, beef and sheep.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I'd still eat meat from poultry.
You could always go cannibal...?
"Essentially the meat allergy is an allergy to the alpha-gal carbohydrate that's found in cows, pigs, sheep and other non-primates, but not humans."

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I eat an almost totally meat based diet I would indeed starve.. and people who don't eat meat can sometimes be very unhealthy and I can assure you they certainly die (as of course does everybody eventually).
Your body would in my opinion be far healthier on a meat based diet than on any other type. However please feel free to eat exactly what you wish but please don't assume you know anything about what makes me healthy ok?

It was not about you or if vegetarian and vegan is a healthy diet or not that would be a different thread. I simple asked if anyone would give up eating meat now vegan and vegetarian is so popular . You then made the assumption. .after telling me not to about you.... that me and presumably others would be far healthier eating a meat based diet when you know nothing about our health

Reactions: Robinredbreast
D

Deleted member 308541

Definitely no way I would give up eating meat or meat products.

I worked in the meat industry for thirty plus years in both retail and wholesale areas, so I would not give up a thick steak or a couple of pork chops out of principle.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I simple asked if anyone would give up eating meat now vegan and vegetarian is so popular .

Not really your question (without question mark I note) was "Would you give up meat"

You also made a rather bold statement

The body does not actually need meat to be healthy people eat it because they enjoy it

With which I happen to disagree quite strongly which then led to my statement.

As I said feel free to eat as you wish but please don't tell me that meat eaters only do it for "enjoyment" when there are many whose health has improved dramatically when switching to an all meat way of eating.

Please enjoy your thread.

Reactions: Guzzler

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m allergic to meat and poultry and haven’t had either for over two years. It’s miserable.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m allergic to meat and poultry and haven’t had either for over two years. It’s miserable.

Yes, there is a VAST difference between ‘choosing to’ and ‘having to’.
There is a nice boost to deciding to do something, and a real downer to not having a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.