What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs I am another who just doesnt understand what you are looking for. A FBG in the 5s is what I desire, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt but I can live with that. The most important thing is we are controlling our Diabetes, isnt it? I know you dont eat a lot and maybe you should eat a bit more when you want to. I dont like you being so dissatisfied with your WOE because you are IMO the backbone of this little community and have lightened my day many times when I needed it.
Thanks @PenguinMum. I am not sure I am looking for much more than A1c numbers that match my home readings and tweaks to this diet to make it enjoyable above endurable. Many a day, now I have trained my body to fast, no food is a far more attractive option than a keto type meal. I guess I look at this as an investment and the numbers don't represent a good ROI in my opinion. Just controlling my diabetes is not and has never been enough for me - it is the minimum acceptable return. This WOE makes several claims other than bg control and I would be looking for my money back if I had paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks jjraak, I will def be using the site now, as I approach 60 my health is not as good, don't know how much is attributable to the T2.
Like is for using the site not for health issues. Regardless of how much is down to T2, tackling it is definitely necessary even if it ends up not being sufficient. Look forward to learning of your progress.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @PenguinMum. I am not sure I am looking for much more than A1c numbers that match my home readings and tweaks to this diet to make it enjoyable above endurable. Many a day, now I have trained my body to fast, no food is a far more attractive option than a keto type meal.

I feel that way sometimes too. I look at a keto meal and literally think I would rather go hungry.

From the low and high FBGs I see on my own meter and here, I don't know if we're controlling our diabetes so much as it is controlling us.

6.7 this morning. I wish I could meter my LDL cholesterol the way I can my FBG. I wish the medics would make up their minds as to whether or not cholesterol has any influence on heart health.

Last edited:

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,
4.8 for me this morning.

Tried a new low carb dish last night for dinner - Radishes O'Brien for St Patrick's Day (like Potatoes O'brien but with radishes instead of potatoes with a bit of onion and bell pepper, had it with Picadillo done in the Instant Pot. Both recipes are keepers. I enjoy trying new low carb recipes, it keeps me on a good path that has been really beneficial for me.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree about horses for courses. Remission is a label I absolutely detest for where I am and refuse to use. I wholeheartedly urge you to stick with LCHF since it works for you. If you look in the what have you eaten thread you will see I effectively do eat this way just personalised and heavily biased towards non meat and diary HF as far as possible.

I think (don't know for certain) that my LDL numbers were up in January because I'd been doing HF with too much meat and dairy. Beef (for the iron), heavy cream in my coffee, butter instead of plant oils. My doctor recommended I try the DASH Diet. So, since then I have been trying it to a degree. Trying to restrict my grains to oats for the most part (although I do include oat bread it also has wheat in it). Also on rare occasions I will eat a little rice. I have quit putting cream in my coffee, and have switched to olive oil in place of butter, and honey-mustard instead of mayonnaise with tuna fish.

My A1C was great in January but LDL was not so I am trying this way of eating until my next A1C/LDL checkup about a month from now. I did lose weight quickly on the LCHF diet, but while my BG, BP, and weight numbers were good, my LDL was not. So right now I've got 4 plates I'm trying to keep spinning.

giphy.gif

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think (don't know for certain) that my LDL numbers were up in January because I'd been doing HF with too much meat and dairy. Beef (for the iron), heavy cream in my coffee, butter instead of plant oils. My doctor recommended I try the DASH Diet. So, since then I have been trying it to a degree. Trying to restrict my grains to oats for the most part (although I do include oat bread it also has wheat in it). Also on rare occasions I will eat a little rice. I have quit putting cream in my coffee, and have switched to olive oil in place of butter, and honey-mustard instead of mayonnaise with tuna fish.

My A1C was great in January but LDL was not so I am trying this way of eating until my next A1C/LDL checkup about a month from now. I did lose weight quickly on the LCHF diet, but while my BG, BP, and weight numbers were good, my LDL was not. So right now I've got 4 plates I'm trying to keep spinning.

giphy.gif
Hope your next set of results reflect the efforts you put in - and your juggling skills. Avoiding certain foods is fine but if one has to force oneself to eat certain foods something has gone very wrong.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
said with the utmost respect and as a helping to hand to a fellow suffer. @ianpspurs

( If we are a Tribe, then you sir, are most definitely one of the ELDERS.
in terms of experience and esteem you are held.)

I know how fixated i get with new things..
(golf bore for many years.. then stopped playing when something new came along .:rolleyes:
may also be be guilty of many other charges :sorry:..Motorbikes, travel, Linux, Android, Carbs, healthy eating, ad infinitum...:hilarious: )

So i'm just asking out loud if you WOULD pay so much attention to the numbers IF you weren't diagnosed as T2D,
or similar that DID require such good monitoring ?

If as i suspect many would not, the numbers would make little difference if we did NOT know.
and we'd simply enjoy our time on earth.

And as i strongly suspect, i COULD be the type to drill down and Micro inspect and try to manage E-v-e-r-y Single item on my checklist...:bookworm::watching:

But so far i've managed to keep expectations to.
Lower FBG...(below 8)
Low pre food and post food BG & Spikes (below 8 & below 2.0mmol )
Better HBA1c.(57 to 42..now aiming for sub 40's)
Lower weight 17 stone, now 13st 3lbs..aiming for 12st )
Better overall health. Asthma almost disappeared (can RUN again....:hilarious::hilarious:) clearer and sharper in my thoughts.

So far successfully (thankfully for me) to this way of eating and in particular the forum and all you good people guiding me..

Bottom line.

We ALL want the best we can get
But looking too deep can make anything seem imperfect,

but perhaps the measure isn't in how perfect something is,
but in how imperfect the other choices are or would be..

Best wishes.
& Kindest regards.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks jjraak, I will def be using the site now, as I approach 60 my health is not as good, don't know how much is attributable to the T2.

Same here mate..(are you a doppelganger :eek:)

but now since coming on board ..
(after all the DCUK, IS a ship that picked me up from the high seas, after i sent out a MAYDAY & Flares,, after the USS CARBOHYDRATES,...the ship i WAS on, before it Sank ( August 2018..sole survivor )

Since i got pulled out of the water i've been cruising the carbs infested Carb-irrean seas, (;)) looking for others to help rescue

4e2933723f1958fd8aeb1c2ca017b05c.jpg
)

My health in terms of MY visual and mental experience of day to day living has improved dramatically.
and as per bloods, scientific proof that the same is ACTUALLY occuring inside me...Joy oh Joy.:D

Site for me has been a
No Win: No Fee...FULL 100% Money Back Guarantees if NOT completely satisfied
(and for me it's all WIN/WIN..now if only chelsea could get the same kind of luck..:bigtears:

Little to lose by trying and all to gain, imho.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Late again posting. Had run out of test strips, so first test today at 2 p.m. Blood sugars were 4.7.

@Chronicle_Cat -- Well done on the further weight loss and consistently good fasting levels.
@RichardHawkings -- Welcome to the thread. Great fbg. Good luck on your HbA1c tomorrow.
@ianpspurs -- Must be hard if you are not enjoying this way of eating. Hugs.
@SaskiaKC -- My admiration for trying to juggle so many things. Keeping my fingers crossed for next test.

Made an appointment for blood work for Monday in a week. Curious as to the outcome. Average blood sugars for the last three months were 4.8 -- so HbA1c should be somewhere in the high 20s. Bet it will be higher than predicted by finger prick tests, just like last time.

Will see the GP this Thursday to discuss which other blood tests to have.

Have a great day, everyone.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel that way sometimes too. I look at a keto meal and literally think I would rather go hungry.

From the low and high FBGs I see on my own meter and here, I don't know if we're controlling our diabetes so much as it is controlling us.

6.7 this morning. I wish I could meter my LDL cholesterol the way I can my FBG. I wish the medics would make up their minds as to whether or not cholesterol has any influence on heart health.
Hi there. I've still got my Dr Atkins Recipe Book. Loads of salads, greens, fish, chicken recipes and a fake cheesecake that nearly tastes like the real thing. Diet tonic and bitters aperitif now. Then I'm having homemade moussaka tonight, with green beans, cauli plus green salad. If I'm still hungry I have Camembert with celery sticks. Black Coffee. I love food (too much actually, that's why I'm T2)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Late again posting. Had run out of test strips, so first test today at 2 p.m. Blood sugars were 4.7.

@Chronicle_Cat -- Well done on the further weight loss and consistently good fasting levels.
@RichardHawkings -- Welcome to the thread. Great fbg. Good luck on your HbA1c tomorrow.
@ianpspurs -- Must be hard if you are not enjoying this way of eating. Hugs.
@SaskiaKC -- My admiration for trying to juggle so many things. Keeping my fingers crossed for next test.

Made an appointment for blood work for Monday in a week. Curious as to the outcome. Average blood sugars for the last three months were 4.8 -- so HbA1c should be somewhere in the high 20s. Bet it will be higher than predicted by finger prick tests, just like last time.

Will see the GP this Thursday to discuss which other blood tests to have.

Have a great day, everyone.
Best wishes for HbA1c - your numbers always seem good so should not be an issue.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best wishes for HbA1c - your numbers always seem good so should not be an issue.

Thanks so much, @ianpspurs. Am a bit anxious as HbA1c was considerably higher than expected based on finger prick readings. As you know yourself, this is not always easy to come to terms with.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
said with the utmost respect and as a helping to hand to a fellow suffer. @ianpspurs

( If we are a Tribe, then you sir, are most definitely one of the ELDERS.
in terms of experience and esteem you are held.)

I know how fixated i get with new things..
(golf bore for many years.. then stopped playing when something new came along .:rolleyes:
may also be be guilty of many other charges :sorry:..Motorbikes, travel, Linux, Android, Carbs, healthy eating, ad infinitum...:hilarious: )

So i'm just asking out loud if you WOULD pay so much attention to the numbers IF you weren't diagnosed as T2D,
or similar that DID require such good monitoring ?

If as i suspect many would not, the numbers would make little difference if we did NOT know.
and we'd simply enjoy our time on earth.

And as i strongly suspect, i COULD be the type to drill down and Micro inspect and try to manage E-v-e-r-y Single item on my checklist...:bookworm::watching:

But so far i've managed to keep expectations to.
Lower FBG...(below 8)
Low pre food and post food BG & Spikes (below 8 & below 2.0mmol )
Better HBA1c.(57 to 42..now aiming for sub 40's)
Lower weight 17 stone, now 13st 3lbs..aiming for 12st )
Better overall health. Asthma almost disappeared (can RUN again....:hilarious::hilarious:) clearer and sharper in my thoughts.

So far successfully (thankfully for me) to this way of eating and in particular the forum and all you good people guiding me..

Bottom line.

We ALL want the best we can get
But looking too deep can make anything seem imperfect,

but perhaps the measure isn't in how perfect something is,
but in how imperfect the other choices are or would be..

Best wishes.
& Kindest regards.
Thanks for the mention - most welcome. I think my main bugbear is the logistics do not suit me at all. I could probably eat more in line with others if there was no testing after 2 hrs - I can't eat this way by eating h/f protein and veg followed by some kind of LC fat laden course within the time frame needed for a 2 hr test. Overall the fat would probably be fine but to eat this way there is far too much in one go for me. Family meals stretch way longer but suit me much better. I would probably be best grazing all day and just testing at odd times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w