Cbd Oil Vs Metformin

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People with a talent for bullsh1t
I've decided to try a different tac with my type 2.

I've been on metformin since being diagnosed back in 2015 and suffered from constant diarrhoea, total lack of energy and stomach problems. For the first 3 years I was on 500mg twice a day and thought I was doing okay. The sugar levels were decent for the most part, and blood pressure was fine. But when I went for my annual check up in the diabetes clinic in July, the consultant insisted on increasing the dosage to 850mg and added a blood pressure tablet and also a blood cholesterol tablet to the mix. I wasn't too happy about this, especially as I'd had to put up with the metformin side effects on the lower dosage.

After a month on the new tablets the bloods hadn't changed to any great degree but the side effects were worse than ever. The diarrhoea was constant, I had absolutely no energy all day and could hardly venture out and this was compromising both my employment and my relationship. No sense managing the disease if my quality of life was going to be compromised as a result. Even while on the meds my bloods were always in the high 8's or low 9's with the odd 7 in there and I suspect that's why the dosage was increased.

Over the past year or so I've been hearing a lot of claims made about CBD oil. Last week after my first month's tablets were used I started to use the oil instead of the meds. This entails 4 drops (3.5mg per drop) under the tongue every morning and evening. After a week, my bloods are now in the low 7's, my stomach is fine and the diarrhoea is gone. Plus my energy levels are back to where they used to be. Huge difference.

So far so good. I'll be keeping an eye on how this is going. Has anyone else used the oil for a longer period and if so, has it done as well or better than the meds?

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Incidentally, I am NOT advocating that people stop taking their meds. Everyone has different reactions to different things. I'm just interested in getting opinions from people who are doing or have done the same thing and what results they've had.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What I would like to know is how the oil helps regulate levels/metabolism etc....

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no experience of CBD oil. However my comments on your prescribed tablets are this, have you ever tried slow release Metformin as it’s less likely to have side effects? Also you increased Metformin at the same time you started a BP med and a statin. Some BP meds and Statins actually raise blood sugars so make well have cancelled out any benefit from the increased dose of Metformin?
Can you tell us a little about your diet too as this will have a bearing on your blood glucose levels?

morradichi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Also you increased Metformin at the same time you started a BP med and a statin. Some BP meds and Statins actually raise blood sugars so make well have cancelled out any benefit from the increased dose of Metformin?
Can you tell us a little about your diet too as this will have a bearing on your blood glucose levels?
I went from 1 tablet to 3 different kinds and that was at the insistence of the doctor. The only benefit I got was cancelled out by the increased side effects and that's what prompted me to try this way instead.

My diet has cut most dairy and high carbs out and I eat non processed food as much as possible. I also use xylitol instead of sugar, which I know has a bit of a laxative effect, but nothing bad compared to the metformin.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is so odd, I posted that months ago why is it showing as 1week 4days ago :/

I have no idea. The only thing I can think is you may have posted, then logged off before the post had completely registered on the server.

Othererwise, it's one of life's mysteries.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
You shouldn't need blood pressure tabs with CBD but as you say we're all different.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Breck Lundin

I've been on metformin since being diagnosed back in 2015 and suffered from constant diarrhoea, total lack of energy and stomach problems. For the first 3 years I was on 500mg twice a day and thought I was doing okay. The sugar levels were decent for the most part, and blood pressure was fine. But when I went for my annual check up in the diabetes clinic in July, the consultant insisted on increasing the dosage to 850mg and added a blood pressure tablet and also a blood cholesterol tablet to the mix. I wasn't too happy about this, especially as I'd had to put up with the metformin side effects on the lower dosage.

After a month on the new tablets the bloods hadn't changed to any great degree but the side effects were worse than ever. The diarrhoea was constant, I had absolutely no energy all day and could hardly venture out and this was compromising both my employment and my relationship. No sense managing the disease if my quality of life was going to be compromised as a result. Even while on the meds my bloods were always in the high 8's or low 9's with the odd 7 in there and I suspect that's why the dosage was increased.

Over the past year or so I've been hearing a lot of claims made about CBD oil. Last week after my first month's tablets were used I started to use the oil instead of the meds. This entails 4 drops (3.5mg per drop) under the tongue every morning and evening. After a week, my bloods are now in the low 7's, my stomach is fine and the diarrhoea is gone. Plus my energy levels are back to where they used to be. Huge difference.

So far so good. I'll be keeping an eye on how this is going. Has anyone else used the oil for a longer period and if so, has it done as well or better than the meds?
A word of caution regarding CBD... nit all CBD you find is actually the real thing. As of yet there are no standards so we need vet our sourced.

Bugs me as real CBD from a Marijuana store can be amazing.
I've used it for RA joint & muscle pain. No high and the pain subsides for me.

I read a lot too as it's now legal here in California. My info about help with lowering BG is mixed. Honestly I haven't tried using it for BG control yet. Waiting for our new market to settle a bit.

About metformin I'm not a fan. It never helped me. My mother took it for about 30yrs or so...the doctor never realized she didn't have IBS or such, it was the metformin.

I was prescribed it at first because it's inexpensive. Only thing it did was anchor me 12 steps from the throne room.

Yet as with all of these meds we are different. One may work for you but not me. It's sure nice to find these forums where people share and don't judge or, far as my reading, insist on being the "rightest".

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yes the CBD market has exploded globally faster than legislation can keep up.
Check online .... best CBD vapes in the UK .... if you're in the UK of course.

Breck Lundin

Yes the CBD market has exploded globally faster than legislation can keep up.
Check online .... best CBD vapes in the UK .... if you're in the UK of course.
interesting about the UK. I developed my own variation of cold whole plant extraction using 190-proof EtOH (oops, ethanol). But i doubt i can even afford all if what gear is needed fir CBD extraction. Nice that I'm perfectly legal here in California now. Just don't go overboard.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i do have several sources for honest lab tested CBD oils. It helps reduce my need for pain meds and it doesn't get me high.
We have it here legally also, but some people swear by it, others swear at it. I guess it is like a lot of other pain medications, what works for some does not necessarily have the same effect on others...

Reactions: Breck Lundin

Breck Lundin

We have it here legally also, but some people swear by it, others swear at it. I guess it is like a lot of other pain medications, what works for some does not necessarily have the same effect on others...
absolutely....it is frustrating when some paint with a broad brush. We are individual who exist is a space of reactions to medications. It doesn't matter where you enter the space because we all end up in the same place but via different paths all depending in an infinite variety of individual outcomes...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I imagine you have felt like you have done from the constant diarrhoea which would be very debilitating now it has stopped you should feel a lot better. I can't really understand why your doctor let you to go on taking the metformin when it was causing you problems for so long. I don't know anything about CBD oil so can't comment on that but I think you should inform your doctor you have stopped taking the metformin

Reactions: Robinredbreast