Cramping in the front of my legs

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, The last few days I have been experiencing cramping in the front of both of my legs. The Left one had a major cramping the other night which was so bad I wanted to cry, but the majority of the time it just feels like they are both going to go into cramps, but dont. I also have a pain in the bottom of my left foot, on the bottom of my heel, when I first walk on it it feels like it is very bruised, it wears off in time, but is quite painful at first. Any ideas anyone? Im starting to feel a bit panicky I must admit. Thanks.

Reactions: Freema

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mummycaz

Cramping is not fun - I have experienced those on the front of my legs and they’re very painful. Taking magnesium supplements and ensuring you have enough salt (pink Himalayan is good for the extra electrolytes) can be helpful. I use magnesium bisglycinate as it’s a bit gentler on the stomach and better absorbed than some other forms of magnesium.

Others use magnesium oil - tagging @Rachox for her input on that. I’m also linking to some other threads on this:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/calf-muscle-cramp.135831/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/advice-balancing-electrolytes-and-hydration.158898/

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, The last few days I have been experiencing cramping in the front of both of my legs. The Left one had a major cramping the other night which was so bad I wanted to cry, but the majority of the time it just feels like they are both going to go into cramps, but dont. I also have a pain in the bottom of my left foot, on the bottom of my heel, when I first walk on it it feels like it is very bruised, it wears off in time, but is quite painful at first. Any ideas anyone? Im starting to feel a bit panicky I must admit. Thanks.
Hi my struggle the same as yours.
My GP ptrescribed a quinine tablet before I go to bed as thats when it mainly happens its terrible feel for you.
Since taking tablet it does help somewhat altho' will not make it disappear entirely!!!
It is.much improved with it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal
In my early days of low carbing I was bothered by cramp in my ankles at night. I used magnesium oil rubbed into the affected areas before I went to sleep. At the same time I started using pink Himalayan salt in my cooking. I used the oil til the cramps stopped. These days I just use the salt and very rarely get cramp now.

Reactions: jjraak

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Himalayan ... great stuff

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mummycaz
I have night cramps for which I have been drinking Tonic Water (sugar-free but has sweeteners!!!) which contains quinine and that will control the cramps. However, I'm trying to reduce the amount of sweeteners so not having anything just now but cramps not too bad at the moment ;)

Regarding the pain in your heel on first getting up, it sounds rather like 'Plantar Fasciitis' so might be worth checking that out. Some GPs will inject it, which gives considerable relief but, if like me, you don't like that idea, buy a soft heel raise to put in your shoes, wear higher heeled shoes etc until it settles down - which it will, in time.

I've had this, both heels, and it was horrible! It does get better :)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/plantar-fasciitis/

Hope this helps ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar bruised pain under my heel for years.
Did a bit of reading about it and came across the term plantar fasciitis
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/181453.php
Obviously, there are lots of other forms of heel pain, and yours may be different.
I would recommend seeing a doc and getting a diagnosis.

I was very fortunate. Once I had a name for it, I was able to google some exercises for it (thank heavens for the internet), and just a few days of doing the exercise, and my heel stopped hurting and has stayed pain free for several years.
If you get diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, then let me know and I will dig out the youtube exercise vid link I used.

Ed to add: haha! just seen that Energize posted while I was typing. Great minds!

Reactions: Energize

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some years ago I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I was advised to see a sports therapist. He ordered me some special insoles to wear, made to measure. He said it was caused (in my case) by walking more on one side of my foot than the other. The insoles corrected this. They worked. The pain went. I stopped wearing the insoles. The pain has never come back.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I no longer eat processed foods, my salt intake has dropped, and I used to get bad cramp in my legs. I now add salt to my meals, and if I get the amount correct (it takes more than you might think!) the cramp disappears.
I also had (have) plantar fasciitis in both heels. It has taken about three years to get rid of it, but then I do a fair bit of walking. I find that if I walk on hard surfaces a lot the pain comes back. I also use inserts in my shoes, and thicker socks help as well.

Reactions: jjraak

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Some medications also cause cramping. I got major leg cramps and sore ankles and legs afterwards from taking Januvia and it took months after I stopped for it to go away. I turned out to be a type 1 though, and chalked it up to I shouldn't have been put on it in the first place.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plantar faciitus. LOL. I had that a few years ago. I don’t know what the cause was. I suspected it was because I started walking briskly to work in very thin soled shoes as opposed to what had been the usual driving.

At the time I had no idea what the condition was or the cure. I had it in both feet and was hobbling as a consequence. My visits to the GP were dissapointing as she had no idea. She did mention plantar faciitus but only as one of a number of possibilities.

Fortunately I managed to work out what it was and the solution which was to stop walking to work (for a few weeks) change footwear for a larger and softer sole and wear inserts in the shoes. This worked over just a short period of time. So it was a matter of a few months after developing the condition that it healed.

Nothing to do with diabetes as far as I know.