Fear that I may be becoming type1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had my c peptide test done as I was observing high blood sugar trend since last one year. I was a healthy individual with A1c of 5.3%, but then I suddenly got an A1c of 6.1%. I completely attribute it to the kefir the I had just 3 months back from the test. I am worried that bacteria or virus from the kefir has shot my pancreas.
I just had my c peptide test results which came back low 0.73. Range starts from 0.83. I am really worried. I feel like one wrong decision has cost me everything.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
An HbA1C test result shows your average blood sugar over the preceding 3 month period, with the results more skewed to the latter part of that period than the earlier.

One cup (US measure) of of whole milk unflavoured kefir contains 12g carbohydrate. That is less than a slice of bread.

Honestly - one drink you had three months' prior to the test is not going to affect your HbA1C result.

If you are T1,and to be honest your A1C result is very low to be a T1 not on insulin, then a drink will not have caused it. T1 is an autoimmune disorder, not caused by dietary factors.

I am not saying you are or aren't T1 - only a doctor can do that. What I am saying is that if you are, your drink of kefir was absolutely not the cause.

Last edited:

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An HbA1C test result shows your average blood sugar over the preceding 3 month period, with the results more skewed to the latter part of that period than the earlier.

One cup (US measure) of of whole milk kefir contains 12g carbohydrate. That is less than a slice of bread.

Honestly - one drink you had three months' prior to the test is not going to affect your HbA1C result.

If you are T1,and to be honest your A1C result is very low to be a T1 not on insulin, then a drink will not have caused it. T1 is an autoimmune disorder, not caused by dietary factors.

I am not saying you are or aren't T1 - only a doctor can do that. What I am saying is that if you are, your drink of kefir was absolutely not the cause.
No, I meant i was not diabetic or per diabetic before drinking kefir. I took it for my stomach issues.
My concern is not the carbs in kefir, my concern is bacteria or virus present in it.
I believe that bacteria or virus in kefir has either caused an autoimmune disorder or they are just directly attacking the pancreas.

Reactions: Evie-D

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Why do you believe that? Millions of people drink kefir with no ill effects - some of the members on this board make their own and I do not think they would deliberately make a harmful substance and then drink it.

Was there a product recall of the kefir you drank?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
No, I meant i was not diabetic or per diabetic before drinking kefir. I took it for my stomach issues.
My concern is not the carbs in kefir, my concern is bacteria or virus present in it.
I believe that bacteria or virus in kefir has either caused an autoimmune disorder or they are just directly attacking the pancreas.

The bacteria in kefir does not cause type 1 diabetes, where have you got this information from ?

Type 1 is triggered by an autoimmune response not by bacteria from a milk drink.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you believe that? Millions of people drink kefir with no ill effects - some of the members on this board make their own and I do not think they would deliberately make a harmful substance and then drink it.

Was there a product recall of the kefir you drank?
It was from local online business here. In one of the Facebook kefir group i was on person complained of having joint pains after 6 months of consumption of kefir. She had to get RA tested.
Kefir doesn't just have bacteria, it would has virus too. And from what I read beta cells can be destroyed from either auto immune attack or from from viral.
Autoimmune is generally caused by misunderstanding of bodies immune cells, it could be for either virus or bacteria.
I can correlate it as my A1C and glucose was quite all right before its consumption.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

One cup (US measure) of of whole milk unflavoured kefir contains 12g carbohydrate. That is less than a slice of bread.

My HBA1c was never high enough to destroy my beta cells either, my concern is what changed so immediately and is progressing so rapidly that my c peptides are this low.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bacteria in kefir does not cause type 1 diabetes, where have you got this information from ?

Type 1 is triggered by an autoimmune response not by bacteria from a milk drink.
Again my understanding is an autoimmune can be triggered from misunderstanding of immune cells. It can either be caused by virus or bacteria.
I believe kefir triggered that autoimmune response.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok let's put this into context then, if kefir was harmful then millions of people worldwide would be suffering type 1 as this is an incredibly popular fermented drink, so we would have a crisis, it would of been detected by food safety tests and it would be a banned product. In regards to health benefits have a read of this article: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-kefir

Unfortunately I think your having a stab in the dark here.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Again my understanding is an autoimmune can be triggered from misunderstanding of immune cells. It can either be caused by virus or bacteria.
I believe kefir triggered that autoimmune response.
Any bacteria or virus in Kefir would not be harmful thousands of people drink it every day without adverse effects. Yes it is thought that T1 can be triggered by a virus infection such a flu but thats not the type of virus you will find in Kefir

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If indeed you are heading towards type 1 (or LADA) then it starts somewhere and apparently if thats where you’re heading then it happened to start at the same time you tried kefir. I see no possible way to link the drink or any possible contaminants in it to potential diabetes nor why you think it was contaminated?

What’s the dr proposing to do in regards to the low c peptide results?
Have you asked them about it being caused by a virus or bacteria recently?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I agree with @Juicyj and @Pinkorchid - if the product was remotely harmful it would not be allowed to be sold worldwide and as Pinkorchid says, the kind of virus found in foodstuffs is not the same as a viral infection that causes bodily disease. You would have had a nasty tummy upset at worst.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If indeed you are heading towards type 1 (or LADA) then it starts somewhere and apparently if thats where you’re heading then it happened to start at the same time you tried kefir. I see no possible way to link the drink or any possible contaminants in it to potential diabetes nor why you think it was contaminated?

What’s the dr proposing to do in regards to the low c peptide results?
Have you asked them about it being caused by a virus or bacteria recently?
I haven't been to dr yet. I am just lost here. Wanting to give up, not ready to deal with it yet.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I haven't been to dr yet. I am just lost here. Wanting to give up, not ready to deal with it yet.

I'd suggest you wait and see what your doctor has to say, before jumping to unfounded conclusions and stressing the hell out of yourself needlessly. I know that's easier said then done, but it's better to wait till you know what is going on.

I hope the doc can answer your questions. Good luck.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the c peptide was self ordered?

Definitely take yourself to a dr and get some professional advice at this point before you get any more stressed and worried.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was from local online business here. In one of the Facebook kefir group i was on person complained of having joint pains after 6 months of consumption of kefir. She had to get RA tested.
Kefir doesn't just have bacteria, it would has virus too. And from what I read beta cells can be destroyed from either auto immune attack or from from viral.
Autoimmune is generally caused by misunderstanding of bodies immune cells, it could be for either virus or bacteria.
I can correlate it as my A1C and glucose was quite all right before its consumption.

Very anxious, if you believe keffir contains a viros, could you link to the article or reading leading you to this belief?

I have been making my own keffir and drinking it now for about the last month, in an effort to bolster my gut health, so I have a specific and personal interest.

I must say my own blood results in the interim, albeit any glucose related ones have only been finger prick tets, have been very good, and certainly not noticably degrading.

I really woiuld be interested to read of this virus.

Reactions: WuTwo

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok let's put this into context then, if kefir was harmful then millions of people worldwide would be suffering type 1 as this is an incredibly popular fermented drink, so we would have a crisis, it would of been detected by food safety tests and it would be a banned product. In regards to health benefits have a read of this article: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-kefir

Unfortunately I think your having a stab in the dark here.
I agree it is benefiting a large population, but some people also face adverse effects as well.
No one knows how an individual body will react when it encounters a type of bacteria or virus.
Many get sick, some defeat the virus, some develop autoimmune. I have posted an example as well of a lady in the group.
I had no other activity that would make me point out the reason. I have no other health issue either.
I just wish I would have taken this adverse effect thing more seriously.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very anxious, if you believe keffir contains a viros, could you link to the article or reading leading you to this belief?

I have been making my own keffir and drinking it now for about the last month, in an effort to bolster my gut health, so I have a specific and personal interest.

I must say my own blood results in the interim, albeit any glucose related ones have only been finger prick tets, have been very good, and certainly not noticably degrading.

I really woiuld be interested to read of this virus.
I am sorry but I don't have any link or proof of it. Even I consumed it by researching all over the internet and by seeing all the benefits.
It is on my assumption and experience.
My high HBA1c was so out of the blue and It happened just after consuming milk kefir hence I said I can correlate.
https://shannnixjones.com/how-to-make-your-own-kefir/

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the c peptide was self ordered?

Definitely take yourself to a dr and get some professional advice at this point before you get any more stressed and worried.
I have discussed just now with the doctor, according to him I have dealt with insulin resistance but sometimes insulin deficiency can happen too. He said I am too worried then I can have GAD tested. As it is very costly we came to a conclusion to do a c peptide test after 6 months again.

Status
Not open for further replies.