Random question

Ian2477

If a recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is caused by pancreatic cancer.Would metformin and diet change have any effect on improving blood glucose levels?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Many people who change to a LCHF diet see improvement in BGL's.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
pancreatic cancer

Wouldn't that be a 3c diagnosis, not T2????

But diet change generally helps most T2s. (And by that I mean a low carb diet).

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would think so, metformin blocks the liver in releasing glucose. And a change in diet, whatever kind it is, is used to control BG's/

But if the pancreas isn't making insulin anymore, those will help some, not a lot, and will not be the answer. If you aren't making insulin, you will need insulin.

edited!!! Sorry, I originally said the liver releasing insulin, I meant the liver releasing glucose!!!!

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If a recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes is caused by pancreatic cancer.Would metformin and diet change have any effect on improving blood glucose levels?
I'm guessing it will depend on endogenous insulin production.
Are you talking current pancreatic cancer or hstoric?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would think so, metformin blocks the liver in releasing insulin. And a change in diet, whatever kind it is, is used to control BG's/

But if the pancreas isn't making insulin anymore, those will help some, not a lot, and will not be the answer. If you aren't making insulin, you will need insulin.
You may like to consider editing your comment. I am sure it is just a slip but insulin is secreted by the pancreas as per your first sentence I think it should read 'glucose'.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes I think it's T3C. If the cancer is serious then there would presumably be little insulin output and hence similar to T1 and not T2.