Bg spikes for no reason

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Im experimenting with a very low carb regime as opposed to my normal lowish carb, this is to try and cut out my novorapid during the day, no reason really other than it sucks worrying about hypos all day as im sure many of you know, I am still taking the humalin before bed, but anway...

Since waking I have eaten some cheese during the day and some baked veg for dinner, been steady 6-7 all day, almost flat line, so happy with that, makes a nice change from the wild swings all day.

So to my question, if not from food, how else can I spike to 11 with an up arrow on the libre backed up with finger prick? Is it possible to have an overacting liver or what else in the body can do this?

Just curious, wondering how high it goes, will experiment without the novo.

Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi

Im experimenting with a very low carb regime as opposed to my normal lowish carb, this is to try and cut out my novorapid during the day, no reason really other than it sucks worrying about hypos all day as im sure many of you know, I am still taking the humalin before bed, but anway...

Since waking I have eaten some cheese during the day and some baked veg for dinner, been steady 6-7 all day, almost flat line, so happy with that, makes a nice change from the wild swings all day.

So to my question, if not from food, how else can I spike to 11 with an up arrow on the libre backed up with finger prick? Is it possible to have an overacting liver or what else in the body can do this?

Thanks

Libre ? !

Did you check with a finger prick?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes

Been Checking it alot this time as I just had a faulty one showing me 20 to hi

Oh yeah, sorry, didn't read the opening post properly.

Any sudden bouts of exercise?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah, sorry, didn't read the opening post properly.

Any sudden bouts of exercise?
Apart from my normal rushing about at work for 12 hours no, had my normal 10.5. Dawn phen. Then flat line at 6-7 until after the low carb baked veg, been the second day without novo, last nights steak and veg was fine

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondering if my liver can be overactive? Like a thyroid if that makes sense

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

Thanks[/QUOTE]

When exactly did your spike happen?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Started going up 1 hour ago, about an hour after eating which of course is the right time for it but what I ate shouldnt do it, been low carbing for many years, I know the good veg

Bopped 2 units of novo, not happy as I was so proud of my flat line in the green zone hehe

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So to my question, if not from food, how else can I spike to 11 with an up arrow on the libre backed up with finger prick?

Injected insulin goes on a fairly long journey round the body before it gets to work, and, during the course of that journey, some of it can be destroyed.

Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing says it can be as much as 80%.

Which is why the same meal with the same amount of insulin on different days can lead to wildly different results.

I reckon this probably applies to basal insulin too - some days, your body might just be more antagonistic to injected insulin than on others.

This is a possible explanation - there's dozens of other (including wearing the wrong colour of socks!).

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Injected insulin goes on a fairly long journey round the body before it gets to work, and, during the course of that journey, some of it can be destroyed.

Stephen Ponder's book, Sugar Surfing says it can be as much as 80%.

Which is why the same meal with the same amount of insulin on different days can lead to wildly different results.

I reckon this probably applies to basal insulin too - some days, your body might just be more antagonistic to injected insulin than on others.

This is a possible explanation - there's dozens of other (including wearing the wrong colour of socks!).
Interesting thanks

Was cuious if we can spike without food in te morning, why not other times

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My socks are kangaroo skin so they shouldnt do it

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
A few things I can think of (other than socks)
1) People's basal rates can vary according to the time of day.
2) How much protein was in the evening meal? I believe that very low carbers have to count protein as 50% carb if they go low enough in carbs???
3) Stress or illness.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to go out to work today and did not eat first thing - my BG when I returned home was 6.9 - higher than if I had eaten a meal this morning.
As far as I can gather that is how things ought to work - if I need to chase down dinner or walk miles to find roots and shoots, I would need that level of glucose.
You seem to be eating very little - I stay under 40 gm of carbs a day but I eat two meals and I roast or fry the cooked veges, not bake them. I also have meat with fats, fish with fats or oils - I am just trying to cool off enough to eat the three sausages and a big salad waiting for me. Low carb is not starvation - far from it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb baked veg.. can you tell us what exactly?
Never had baked greens before...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could have been one of those, or a couple of other reasons as well...
42-Factors-that-affect-BG.png

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb baked veg.. can you tell us what exactly?
Never had baked greens before...
Try slices of cabbage, laid out in a single layer in a shallow tray, sprinkle with black pepper and a good drizzle of olive oil, bake gently until just softening, or to taste.

Reactions: Speedbird

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replies guys :)

Sounds like it could be everything except my liver, which was what I was suspecting hehe.

Im good with food and what it does, spent years recording/testing/recording/testing everything so pretty much understand food

.3,4,5,7,15,20,21,24,39,40,41 and 42 are possibles, plus a few I dont understand, nice list thanks Antje77

Thankyou Resurgam, not starving myself, just trying to find out if I can diet myself away from the insulin, its an experiment, I figure its ok as I keep reading about fasting being good?