Worried about Brexit, anyone else?

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This whole talk of medicine shortages is making me anxious, sorry if i shouldn't discuss politics on here but is anyone else scared for what's to come? I am debating whether or not to start skipping meals so i have more insulin in time for October. What's everyones thoughts on the whole brexit insulin discussion?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yes, I am worried too. The NHS and individual GPs have said that the government has not done enough to assuage peoples fears.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So we're basically done then?
It is not safe or wise for you to try to ration your food or your insulin. We just have to hope that the most vital of medicines are brought through any customs checks in a 'fast tracked' fashion. Other European countries seem to be able (and some have e.g Netherlands and Ireland) to put the mechanisms in place for this, surely the Brits can too.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Pardon me asking, but where is ALL of the UKs insulin sourced?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had plenty of lively debate about politics on this forum in the past, and I expect we will do so again.

The moderation team are happy to see lively, civil debate on all sorts of subjects. Non diabetic related discussion should go in the General Chat section, and diabetic related discussion should go in the appropriate section of the forum.

All we ask is that members comply with the forum rules, which basically mean offering others mutual respect, polite discussion and avoiding those scourges of political debate - personal attacks and finding offence that someone else dares to have a differing option. :)

Behaviour like that will see mods stepping into any thread, political or not.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No, not scared, but I do hope for the sake of the country that all medicines that are necessary to keep people alive and safe will be available and as for politics, this government and politicians, at the moment I couldn't possibly comment ...............

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This whole talk of medicine shortages is making me anxious, sorry if i shouldn't discuss politics on here but is anyone else scared for what's to come? I am debating whether or not to start skipping meals so i have more insulin in time for October. What's everyones thoughts on the whole brexit insulin discussion?

Please don't skip meals or even reduce your Insulin or stock pile, remember it's the unknown that's the scariest, so hopefully Brexit will go ahead with the right deal for the UK in the Great British Break off

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

From what I know.... Sanofi Makes theirs in Frankfurt.? Novo Nordisk makes it in Denmark and France.

The UK? There is one company – Wockhardt UK, that produces animal based insulin at it's site in Wrexham..

On the concern regarding Brexit. The unknown is always problematic.. I also empathise with your worry @T1Sean99 .
I would concur with @helensaramay regarding not stock pilling for personal use, but be prepared incase scripts take a little longer to process at the chemist.
I've had experince with animal insulins in the past. But I wouldn't think Wrexham could keep up with a higher demand.
Or I can just ask @Antje77 to send one of her "agents" out, & we swap cool bags & camping stories at a cafe in Calais.. :cool:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I have always been worried about Brexit. Not because of a drugs shortage. I only take a blood pressure tablet and it won't be the end of the world if I don't get that, but I worry generally about a lot of the consequences.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't need medication, but by chance, decades ago I got a good deal on a large chest freezer - went to buy a medium sized one, none left so the manager let me have the large one rather than see me walk out of the shop. It has been great as I can buy up any deals I have seen in the marked down sections and freeze them. It is now just about full to the top (I am thinking I should empty it, do a defrost and sort out in order to get a few more things in) - it is stacked with all sorts of meat and packs of veges - I hope to get some frozen berries on offer later this week, and some ground coffee, maybe tins of fish and meat in the cupboard. It will, after all, not go to waste even if there are no supply problems - but over the last few months I have found myself going around two or even three supermarkets to find what I want. I might have to work out which buses to catch rather than using the car, as I have a bus pass - with a fixed income it can be a problem to buy petrol without going over budget.
I am hoping for the best, but a bit of prior preparation could make all the difference - if there are shortages I will at least not be adding to them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In Europe non is produced in the UK. apart from that produced in Wrexham.

Insulin in the UK comes from three main pharmaceutical manufacturers, Lilly, Sanofi and Novo Nordisk. ... They do manufacture some drugs in the UK, but insulin is not produced in the UK by them. A fourth provider, Wockhardt, manufacture animal insulin and have a plant in Wrexham.

The vast majority of insulin used in the UK is imported.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a note to add. Anyone contemplating stockpiling insulin in a chest freezer...?

It don't do the drug any favours. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not insulin - but bacon, cheese, sausages, chops and small joints of meat, beefburgers - stripped of their packaging and put into ziplock freezer bags and sorted into plastic boxes - it helps to separate large packs into meal sized portions. You can freeze butter too.

T1Sean99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my recent batch a week ago, i'll try make this batch of insulin last as long as possible but toujeo runs out fast :/

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm still shaking my head from three years ago, I'm in disbelief about the way our government has performed and the Tories for the total incompetence of the process of exit.
And don't forget, we may declare on Halloween that we are out!
But it is only another step in a very long process in breaking away from the EU!

I repeat my end comment from the thread I started, three years ago.

Forgive them Lord, for they know not, what they do!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I live on the South coast of England and in the run up to the referendum people around Poole and Bournemouth were talking as though leaving the EU was the first step in regaining the Empire and colonies and showing Johnny Foreigner a thing or two.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my recent batch a week ago, i'll try make this batch of insulin last as long as possible but toujeo runs out fast :/

Hi,

Your basal dosage rate will always be what is set right for you. Of course this can change from time to time with things like illness? It's not advisable to hold back use on that.
So if you find one item is running out first on your script? Tick the appropriate order box & send it in with plenty of time to process.. (For me it's always the test cartridges.) :)
But then from my experience i have never been questioned on the randomness of my prescription list orders..

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While all insulin is imported from or via the EU, I hope that even with a no deal Brexit the govt might prioritise such drugs along with food.
But, to reduce anxiety, can you check with your diabetic team if going low/lower carb might allow you to reduce your medication dose in future? (Low carb was the main way to treat diabetes in the West in the past, before insulin become freely available, and while not the best option it could help reduce or delay the impact of any shortage? But please don't skip food without medical support.)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All it takes to get inslin into the UK if the ports are blocked is one RAF aircraft. Does anyone truely believe the government would not be willing to do this? There are also many weeks stockpiles of insulin already in the UK. Hence it will not run out on bexit day unless people panic and request many additional prescriptions.

As to food, we may find a reduction in the choose of fresh veg and salad, as it has a short shelf life so will be effected by delays at ports. British farmers are getting concerned that they will not be able to export meat, and hence may have to sell it to us cheaply.