Mountain or mole hill?

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In 2017, 1 week before Thanksgiving, I got the dreaded call. The nurse told me I had diabetes and they had called a prescription into my pharmacy. I was scheduled to be off work that following week, so, in my panic, I did the only thing I could think of. I started exercising, for the first time in 10 years.

I walked, and walked. But the only flat area behind my house is accessed from the front of the subdivision 1/2 (hilly) mile from my house. So I drove to that entrance to the park. Yes, I drove 1/2 mile to exercise. It was flat, with the exception of about 300 feet of a very steep hill. At the end of my walk, I had to climb that mountain. I did it, often stopping several times to catch my breath. Sometimes I felt lightheaded when I got to my car. And several days later when my Fitbit showed up, I was disturbed to see my heart rate would take just as long to recover as it felt like - I googled that - not great.

But, I kept walking, including a monumental 7-day hiking vacation in the summer, 2018, when I hiked 50 miles of rugged terrain. I added in weight lift too, joining a local gym. And I kept walking.

Due to a storm and a downed tree, I took a less convenient route through my park on my evening walk. Right past that darn mountain. So I walked up it. Got to the top and thought...wait...that’s it??? So I walked up and down it 5 more times :). Then checked my heart rate - 148 beats per minute, not even at my max. It really is a steep hill. It came down to 116 in 60 seconds.

So, yeah, that mountain is really just a mole hill now.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love it when mountains turn into molehills!

For me, it's the last mile home - nearly always an uphill mile. (There are two flat routes in the opposite direction, but I need to go that way far less frequently, and even then, the mile after the flat bit is hilly!)

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done - Isn't it satisfying when you get home and you look at your fitbit. Each day a little bit more.

Your story greatly helps to motivate others of us.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s great isn’t it?! I used to get breathless just walking up my stairs, not anymore!
So that explains your screen name then @Walking Girl ?

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In 2017, 1 week before Thanksgiving, I got the dreaded call. The nurse told me I had diabetes and they had called a prescription into my pharmacy. I was scheduled to be off work that following week, so, in my panic, I did the only thing I could think of. I started exercising, for the first time in 10 years.

I walked, and walked. But the only flat area behind my house is accessed from the front of the subdivision 1/2 (hilly) mile from my house. So I drove to that entrance to the park. Yes, I drove 1/2 mile to exercise. It was flat, with the exception of about 300 feet of a very steep hill. At the end of my walk, I had to climb that mountain. I did it, often stopping several times to catch my breath. Sometimes I felt lightheaded when I got to my car. And several days later when my Fitbit showed up, I was disturbed to see my heart rate would take just as long to recover as it felt like - I googled that - not great.

But, I kept walking, including a monumental 7-day hiking vacation in the summer, 2018, when I hiked 50 miles of rugged terrain. I added in weight lift too, joining a local gym. And I kept walking.

Due to a storm and a downed tree, I took a less convenient route through my park on my evening walk. Right past that darn mountain. So I walked up it. Got to the top and thought...wait...that’s it??? So I walked up and down it 5 more times :). Then checked my heart rate - 148 beats per minute, not even at my max. It really is a steep hill. It came down to 116 in 60 seconds.

So, yeah, that mountain is really just a mole hill now.
That's nothing short of amazing. :)

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s great isn’t it?! I used to get breathless just walking up my stairs, not anymore!
So that explains your screen name then @Walking Girl ?

Yes, that explains the screen name. I never was one for organized sports. I do a variety of thing at the gym, but to me there is nothing like a long walk to clear my head.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done - Isn't it satisfying when you get home and you look at your fitbit. Each day a little bit more.

Your story greatly helps to motivate others of us.

The Fitbit is wonderful. At first it was like a game - how to do better and more. No, it’s just confirmation that I’m keeping the bar high on movement every day. I feel neekid without it :)

Reactions: Goonergal