Food labels

Markyinon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When looking at a canned or jarred food products that show sugar as one of the ingredients, though not the main ingredient do you consider using the product?
Do you consider products that indicate no sugar added yet, whose ingredients, as for example for blackberry jam show 100% fruit content: 55% berry, 44% concentrated pear juice, and pectin?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sugar is in most things, as a diabetic you shouldn't be looking at just the sugar content, you should be looking at total carbohydrates as that's what effects levels xx

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I just look at the carbohydrate content and calculate whether a portion of whatever it is I’m looking at will fit into my daily 30-50g/day that keeps my diabetes under control.

Reactions: ickihun

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only check the carbs, so no problem eating something that has 5gr/100gr carbs of which 5 are sugar, but would think twice about eating something 50gr/100gr carbs of which 0 sugar.

Reactions: Brunneria

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that only checks carbs but generally speaking most fruit is too high in carbs.

The best test for any food is how your blood sugar levels are effected after you eat it. That said I suggest trying lower carbs first before building to higher carbs. I am doing the LCHF with less than 20 grams of carbs a day but many can eat 50 grams of carbs while still keeping their levels under control. The real test is how the food effects you.

Reactions: jjraak

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go by total carbohydrate content, and aim for as few as possible to suit my preferred low carb limit, but will often also look at ingredients as well as nutritional values.

In general I simply tend to avoid any foods in jars or cans as many processed foods will claim "no added sugar", but may eithrer be full of "natural" sugar (i.e. non white granulated!), or have sugars/carbhydrates added in the sneaky form of dates and various other fruit concentrates or juices.

Robbity

M

Member496333

No and no are the clearest answers I can give, but that is just my personal choice. If I need to look at a label in order to determine what something is made of then I'm not buying it anyway. Pretty much nothing I consume has more than one ingredient.

That is just my own approach, though. Others have different expectations.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I don't think I buy anything that comes in a jar or can these days. However, I would be looking at the carb count and ingredients.

Wait, peanut butter, I do get that. Ingredients: Peanuts and salt. Carbs 2.7g per tablespoon.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was caught out with a guinea fowl that stated 1.4g carbs. I had two delicious slices and spiked something awful. Got the packet out of the bin and read the ingredients. Glucose syrup... I didn't read any more. I always read the ingredients.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was caught out with a guinea fowl that stated 1.4g carbs. I had two delicious slices and spiked something awful. Got the packet out of the bin and read the ingredients. Glucose syrup... I didn't read any more. I always read the ingredients.
Yes anything other than "bare, naked" food may well need to have ingredients checked - I've been caught out occasionally too.

Robbity

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The no added sugar label is pretty much meaningless if the ingredients are high in sugar, or carbs to start with.
I stick to foods which are 10 percent or less carbohydrate.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The no added sugar label is pretty much meaningless if the ingredients are high in sugar, or carbs to start with.
I stick to foods which are 10 percent or less carbohydrate.

No Added Sugar labels are a red flag. I don't even bother picking it up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I drink very weak no added sugar diluting juice as our water is disgusting. Fluid is important but sugary drinks counteract this.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
For me it is the carbs - not the sugar that is important.
Why should it make a difference in what form I ingest the thing which spike my BS to the heavens?

Reactions: Flora123