What does this means?

angustia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

I took my bg right after I woke up at 4:30 am. The reading was 6.2 mmol.

At 6:50 am, I took my bg before eating my breakfast. It is 6.9.

Why is it getting higher?

Thanks.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

Thanks.
Dawn Phenomenon. Your liver dumps glucose into your bloodstream to help you start the day.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am trying not to get overly concerned with results like this, my meter is +/- 15% accurate which i dont think is abnormal. I think you might be able to get +/-10%.

However, a result say -5% first, and then a +5% result can give a large degree of difference. To the full range it can be 20% or 30% different if the full range of inaccuracy plays out in opposite directions on the two tests. 5.0 to 6.0 between tests could be 5.5 consistently with a +/-10% accuracy

Best not to get overly concerned about it really, use it as a guide to help inform your choices and allow the HBA1C test be your main measure.

Reactions: angustia and Rachox

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,

Thanks.
Mine often goes up from normal at 3 am to 12 at 8 am with no reasonable explanation! But there is always a rise before breakfast which as others have explained is the result of the Dawn phenomenon. I often take a little insulin in the early hours which helps but not really ideal. The consultant says it’s nothing to worry about as your overall control is good!

Last edited: