Diabetics

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am only three months in (Type 1) and I think about it a lot. I think about the number of carbs I am eating and dosing.
You are doing the right thing, get your control right and then your diabetes will hopefully never impact on your life, I am 66 and diabetic for the last 51 years now and have controlled my diabetes for the last 30 years the best I could, of course controlling diabetes for the first 30 years was very difficult as there were no blood test meters just urine tests and they were recommended only once every 3 days, life really changed for me when I moved to France and the doctors said why have you not got a blood test meter, now on Insulin pump for the last 19 years and libre for the last 3years, so when you are in your sixsties I hope you will be looking forward to many more years of good health

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
After 49 years it comes pretty naturally now....still needs planning when doing different things/eating different foods/when ill..................bleeding 'eck it needs thinking about a LOT :hilarious:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't think about it all the time but I'm aware of it in the background as with anything else that might affect my wellbeing on a day to day basis. But it's definitely not the worst health issue I've had to cope with, though it would probably have had a greater impact had I been diagnosed with T1 and reliant on insulin.

I was certainly more conscious of it when first diagnosed but once I understood what I need to do to manage it, testing, for example, became an automatic routine similar to cleaning my teeth. In some ways diabetes has been a blessing in disguise as previous issues such as long term debilitating brain fog were resolved when I started eating a low carb diet after diagnosis. :)

Robbity

Reactions: ickihun

Rocklobster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think about it a lot at the moment but I think that's fairly understandable as I was only diagnosed early September. I'm finding it's getting a lot more comfortable to make choices and less consistent thought is required. It gives me hope that one day it will stop being so all consuming and just become a small corner of my life.

Having said that, it's not been all negative and I feel more in control of my health than I have in years. I feel oddly positive about things.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm only about 3 months in and think of it a lot. I've lowered my HbA1C to normal range but that's only my first review. I haven't done Christmas (and dreading it to be honest- a lot of family traditions are around food). I don't feel I can relax too much as I need to prep food so I have things to eat- I can't eat what the rest of my family eat I can't have chocolate to deal with stress and I stress a lot. I suffer from anxiety which has been worse so I think I self medicated with food and the odd drink and now can't do that.

Yes I think about more than I would like. I also dream about it a lot. I'm trying to channel the thinking by supporting new people on the date- that makes me think more about them and less about me.

I can't think of a time when I wouldn't think about it- the food I can eat is so not the food I like but you know I have enough food, I have every thing I need and there are many people who don't. So there are many many people worse off than I am.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm only about 3 months in and think of it a lot. I've lowered my HbA1C to normal range but that's only my first review. I haven't done Christmas (and dreading it to be honest- a lot of family traditions are around food). I don't feel I can relax too much as I need to prep food so I have things to eat- I can't eat what the rest of my family eat I can't have chocolate to deal with stress and I stress a lot. I suffer from anxiety which has been worse so I think I self medicated with food and the odd drink and now can't do that.

Yes I think about more than I would like. I also dream about it a lot. I'm trying to channel the thinking by supporting new people on the date- that makes me think more about them and less about me.

I can't think of a time when I wouldn't think about it- the food I can eat is so not the food I like but you know I have enough food, I have every thing I need and there are many people who don't. So there are many many people worse off than I am.
@VashtiB have you tried the dark chocolate that is over 70%?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Hi VashtiB,
By 'the odd drink' I assume you mean alcohol.
Alcohol is not forbidden to T2D's, just those alcoholic drinks containing excess carbs. So spirits with low carb mixers are OK in moderation, as is dry wine (either dry white wine or most red wines), also Low carb Beer is OK
See the DietDoctor website for more information.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In fact red wine and dark chocolate is supposed to be a healthy combination if you allow for the carb content.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi VashtiB,
By 'the odd drink' I assume you mean alcohol.
Alcohol is not forbidden to T2D's, just those alcoholic drinks containing excess carbs. So spirits with low carb mixers are OK in moderation, as is dry wine (either dry white wine or most red wines), also Low carb Beer is OK
See the DietDoctor website for more information.

Ian - I don't see any food as banned for T2s. T2s can eat and drink as they wish. If they are following a reduced carb diet, but want a Bailey's (Yuck for me), or an orange juice, piece of cake, or whatever, if it fits with their target carb levels, there's nothing wrong with that.

We each set our own risk dials; some tighter than others.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sarah69 - Apologies, I just realised my post is a fair way away from your topic.

Ladies and gents, can we please respect the thread starter's question and stay on topic?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I see the thread starter has not so far returned to the thread and has not answered my question as to whether she thinks about it all the time I asked because I wondered if @Sarah69 was thinking she may be becoming obsessional about it herself.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m just asking a general question, do you all constantly think about diabetes all the time?
I think about it quite a lot of the time! When I plan a meal, when I cook for the family and when I’m due an HBA1c. Or when I feel unwell with the symptoms from high or too low bs. Over this past year as my average sugar levels have steadily risen, and the less in control the more it’s on my mind. Currently waiting cpeptide and gad results, so I’m thinking about diabetes lots! Maybe this will change next year...here’s to hoping!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Everytime I test or inject I'm thinking of diabetes. Oh and blood test time and results appointment. Dieticians appointment and having a weekend break. Oh and diabesity clinic appointments and diabetes nurse appointments.
Everytime I hv higher than 8.0 on my meter it give me a reminder I'm diabetic.