Good news. I think

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So Monday was my 3 month hba1c. In August it was 54 it’s now 58 but since mid sept I’ve been off the meds so I think that’s pretty good. I knew it had risen because my finger pricks have risen albeit not hugely.

i do have symptoms and I guess 1 month was with meds so maybe not as good as I think

but I think that’s ok with 2 months of just diet and some (not enough) exercise

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Were the meds causing you issues? Just curious why you dropped with your levels still higher then ideal?

It's still not a bad result with no meds, but I would be reluctant to come off the meds uless mine was in the 40s. Then again I don't get any side effects from my meds.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Were the meds causing you issues? Just curious why you dropped with your levels still higher then ideal?

It's still not a bad result with no meds, but I would be reluctant to come off the meds uless mine was in the 40s. Then again I don't get any side effects from my meds.

i was experiencing some bad side effects do me and dr agreed to try coming off them and see what happened.

im due to go into new meds trulicity on Tuesday. I’m assuming that’s still the case.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was experiencing some bad side effects do me and dr agreed to try coming off them and see what happened.

im due to go into new meds trulicity on Tuesday. I’m assuming that’s still the case.
Annoying that there are side effects :(. I have been lucky that I avoided it so far

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So Monday was my 3 month hba1c. In August it was 54 it’s now 58 but since mid sept I’ve been off the meds so I think that’s pretty good. I knew it had risen because my finger pricks have risen albeit not hugely.

i do have symptoms and I guess 1 month was with meds so maybe not as good as I think

The HbA1c is an average of 3 months, but it does lean heavier on the more recent weeks/months... So take some hope away from that eh, most of it is what you're doing, not what the meds did.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you saw the higher numbers - did you make adjustments to correct or accept that that was what you ought to see?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
When you saw the higher numbers - did you make adjustments to correct or accept that that was what you ought to see?
I am very low carb anyway.
My general day to day diet that I was getting 5-7 on meds hasn’t changed it’s just they moved up to 7-9 and more recently 9-11. I guess the odd time they spiked if I was out and eating differently but nothing changed other than the meds.

my sugars went up but the food reaction was the same. It’s just they started higher.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done on keeping that A1c nice and tight, without your meds.

Although the A1c is described as being the 3 month average of your blood sugar levels, there is much evidence out there to support the belief that the test results are far more indicative of the last 6-8 weeks, with the impact of the tail end (to 12 weeks) being lees significant. So, I'd say give yourself a big up.

Some GPs; particularly those who advocate trying lifestyle changes first for those diagnosed with T2, are doing the first A1c after diagnosis after 6-8 weeks. One such GP, Dr David Unwin considers the more prompt follow up build the person's confidence in what they're doing, if their numbers are going in the right direction. If they're not, it counts as a nudge to think about Plan B.

Again, well done.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well done on keeping that A1c nice and tight, without your meds.

Although the A1c is described as being the 3 month average of your blood sugar levels, there is much evidence out there to support the belief that the test results are far more indicative of the last 6-8 weeks, with the impact of the tail end (to 12 weeks) being lees significant. So, I'd say give yourself a big up.

Some GPs; particularly those who advocate trying lifestyle changes first for those diagnosed with T2, are doing the first A1c after diagnosis after 6-8 weeks. One such GP, Dr David Unwin considers the more prompt follow up build the person's confidence in what they're doing, if their numbers are going in the right direction. If they're not, it counts as a nudge to think about Plan B.

Again, well done.
Thank you.

although I’m
Not sure I’ve kept my numbers tight seeing as they went up.

but puzzling is why I’m getting so many symptoms. The last 2-3 weeks (and I don’t mean to sound dramatic) I’ve felt like I might not reach my appt next week.
I’ve very much felt like I did before diagnosis. Exhausted, itchy, bad eyes and I’m putting on weight when I really don’t deserve it.

i really thought my numbers would be really high because I’ve felt so off. so it’s very odd that they weren’t. Not that I’m moaning.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

although I’m
Not sure I’ve kept my numbers tight seeing as they went up.

but puzzling is why I’m getting so many symptoms. The last 2-3 weeks (and I don’t mean to sound dramatic) I’ve felt like I might not reach my appt next week.
I’ve very much felt like I did before diagnosis. Exhausted, itchy, bad eyes and I’m putting on weight when I really don’t deserve it.

i really thought my numbers would be really high because I’ve felt so off. so it’s very odd that they weren’t. Not that I’m moaning.

When you see your Doc next week, please do ask for a good broad spectrum blood panel, to include thyroid vitamins as well as all the usual stuff. Your iron or vitamins down a bit can have quite devastating impacts, and lots of ladies find their thyroids struggle over time.

If nothing turns up on the bloods, at least you'll have been checked out.

Do you take any supplements, like Vitamin D?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
When you see your Doc next week, please do ask for a good broad spectrum blood panel, to include thyroid vitamins as well as all the usual stuff. Your iron or vitamins down a bit can have quite devastating impacts, and lots of ladies find their thyroids struggle over time.

If nothing turns up on the bloods, at least you'll have been checked out.

Do you take any supplements, like Vitamin D?
I don’t take anything.
Did wonder if I lacked iron but I eat so much meat I can’t see it’s that. I know I don’t eat much veg.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t take anything.
Did wonder if I lacked iron but I eat so much meat I can’t see it’s that. I know I don’t eat much veg.

If nothing else, it's likely your VitD will be a bit low - most are.

I found when my own thyroid went a bit wonky, my vitamin D and B12 really dropped a lot, to the extent I had to top them up. I just keep a good eye on the B12, but kept the VitD up.

It's definitely worth getting them checked out.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
My A1cs, weight and diabetic side effects - eyes, feet, hands - always get worse in autumn. In my case I am sure that my body is getting ready for winter by storing more fat as the temperature drops so that it is available for energy (heat) during winter.
Research at Washington State University discovered that bears stop producing insulin during the autumn as they are getting ready to hibernate and laying down fat to use up during the winter.
My doctor did say that I was not a bear but I was raised in a cold winter climate - Yorkshire before global warming :happy: - and I do think that many body processes are influenced by our early childhood.