What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Than you for asking. :) I can't tell if it's growing back yet but it doesn't look as raw as it did on Saturday and as far as I can tell she isn't licking it. I put some Vaseline on it on Saturday, partly to help heal, partly because I know she doesn't like the taste of Vaseline.

ETA: I would have thought the hair would have started to grow back by now if she really is not licking the scrape; but I can't even see signs of a five o'clock shadow!
Give it time. My experience with my Ginger who had her tummy opened up was that at first it didnt seem much regrowth but when it did start it really got on with it! Hope its like that for the KC. Hugs and purrs.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay! You deserve all the enjoyment you are getting out of your new Android phone!

t114008.gif
t88031.gif
s0819.gif
t2742.gif
t57126.gif
t88044.gif
I love the shooting star one @SaskiaKC

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to live in a neighborhood that had no streetlights because none of the residents wanted the light pollution. I used to love to go out at night and lie on my quilt in the driveway and stargaze (I was younger then, it wasn't quite so hard to get back up again!). Then a new family moved in across the street and put up a VERY bright light on their front porch and left it on all night. Not that anyone ever used their front walk, which was a long way from their driveway and down a very steep hill. I never could see the point of moving into a neighborhood that did not have streetlights and then putting up a glaringly bright porch light. It's like people who move out into a farming community and then complain that there are cows! :(

I agree!

The Xmas lights went up today on various bungalows @SaskiaKC

No chance of me seeing any more night stars for a couple of months now...especially as each bungalow tries to outdo each other...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree!

The Xmas lights went up today on various bungalows @SaskiaKC

No chance of me seeing any more night stars for a couple of months now...especially as each bungalow tries to outdo each other...

This is one reason (as I was reminded by your lovely photo of the Big Dipper) that I want to move to the little town. The apartment building is about a mile outside the town itself, up a mountainside, and while I assume the building has some outdoor lighting of its own, it is not surrounded by town lights. It is surrounded by forest land and open fields. I have been thinking a lot about the opportunities there would be for walking on something besides pavement, surrounded by trees and open space instead of concrete and steel and plate-glass; your photo reminded me that there may also be open sky, with stars and the moon.
So, do I want to exchange the convenience of being able to walk to buy food for the joy of being able to walk on the actual Earth? Am I willing to take a scheduled bus to town to buy food, and walk in nature; or walk among shops, on pavement, and try to find transport to local "natural" areas?
That is the $64,000 question!

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give it time. My experience with my Ginger who had her tummy opened up was that at first it didnt seem much regrowth but when it did start it really got on with it! Hope its like that for the KC. Hugs and purrs.

Thank you. :) ^. .^
t4615.gif
t09063.gif

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is one reason (as I was reminded by your lovely photo of the Big Dipper) that I want to move to the little town. The apartment building is about a mile outside the town itself, up a mountainside, and while I assume the building has some outdoor lighting of its own, it is not surrounded by town lights. It is surrounded by forest land and open fields. I have been thinking a lot about the opportunities there would be for walking on something besides pavement, surrounded by trees and open space instead of concrete and steel and plate-glass; your photo reminded me that there may also be open sky, with stars and the moon.
So, do I want to exchange the convenience of being able to walk to buy food for the joy of being able to walk on the actual Earth? Am I willing to take a scheduled bus to town to buy food, and walk in nature; or walk among shops, on pavement, and try to find transport to local "natural" areas?
That is the $64,000 question!

Yes @SaskiaKC

I have a dream of a cottage in woodland, with a stream running through the woods, and no human neighbours (I have my reasons).

I also have a dream of outhouses or barns where I can teach art.

I 'know' what my cottage looks like, I've 'planned' the rooms inside and the furniture.

But if I say my dreams and plans to anyone, I am told to be practical, and that I am on two crutches and can't walk far, and that I should be considering more restricted accommodation.

I've always been a dreamer and it's helped me reach much further than people thought I could ever do.

Somehow I will reach my cottage in the woods, but I have no idea how this could come about. My dream is not concrete pavements underfoot, but as you suggest walking on earth and being able to see the night sky and stars.

But as you say, does practicality and convenience win, or can there be something more?

Reactions: mojo37

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes @SaskiaKC

I have a dream of a cottage in woodland, with a stream running through the woods, and no human neighbours (I have my reasons).

I also have a dream of outhouses or barns where I can teach art.

I 'know' what my cottage looks like, I've 'planned' the rooms inside and the furniture.

But if I say my dreams and plans to anyone, I am told to be practical, and that I am on two crutches and can't walk far, and that I should be considering more restricted accommodation.

I've always been a dreamer and it's helped me reach much further than people thought I could ever do.

Somehow I will reach my cottage in the woods, but I have no idea how this could come about. My dream is not concrete pavements underfoot, but as you suggest walking on earth and being able to see the night sky and stars.

But as you say, does practicality and convenience win, or can there be something more?

Sometimes you remind me so much of me. :) Your cottage sounds lovely, and actually very much like the cabin in the woods my friend dreamed of for years. He finally bought one, on a lake, and did a lot of work on it; last time we talked he was in the process of buying a wooded lot and getting clearances to build a cabin on it.

For years my dream house was either a mobile home on someone's farm, connected to their electricity and water, with room for a horse; or a cottage in a village somewhere in England (that was my "rich retirement" dream :) ).
The small-town apartment sounds about as realistically close I can get to those now, and from what I have learned about it online, it is a very nice community.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes you remind me so much of me. :) Your cottage sounds lovely, and actually very much like the cabin in the woods my friend dreamed of for years. He finally bought one, on a lake, and did a lot of work on it; last time we talked he was in the process of buying a wooded lot and getting clearances to build a cabin on it.

For years my dream house was either a mobile home on someone's farm, connected to their electricity and water, with room for a horse; or a cottage in a village somewhere in England (that was my "rich retirement" dream :) ).
The small-town apartment sounds about as realistically close I can get to those now, and from what I have learned about it online, it is a very nice community.

It does sound a lovely place on what you have said so far on it.

Each time I have had a dream or a goal in life I have reached it. But maybe not always in the way I imagined.

I visualised the bungalow I live in now, even down to the front being painted white and it being at the top of a steep hill, a few years before I moved. I even drew it on a piece of white card, put it in a brown envelope and forgot about it.

On the day I moved here I found the brown envelope with the white card and the drawing of this bungalow on it. I had actually completely forgotten about it.

Maybe I should do the same again :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
/\___~~
_/\ /\ ___ May be one reason my dream horse never turns out quite like I'd hoped! :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't sleep so I had chance to catch up on all the posts and there's a lot since I last looked this morning.

@Debandez what a fantastic HbA1c well done and truly inspirational.

@jjraak thanks for the encouragement towards Mondays Carpet Fitting for MIL Yes it was traumatic and blooming hard work I have a few aches and pains from the ordeal but it's done and she is safe when walking about. Mind you after a day of MIL constantly asking what are you doing? One can't help thinking what a waste of time, Because once we had finished and put all the rooms back together she asked 'what are you doing here this late?' She's totally forgotten that she's had new carpet even though sitting in the room one of them is in. Horrible disease but at least she is still in her own home for now and Mrs MC is doing her best to honour the request Her mom made to never to be put in a home when she first was told she had Alzheimer's. Hard times.

Oh, and can I provide the backing track in any production, rest of band would be up for it I'm certain.

@dunelm all the best for the expected grandchild be it boy or girl.

@SaskiaKC my Bass Recorder is one with a Kincked Neck easier to play than the straight blow Type. Mrs MC's Soprano (alto), treble and tenor recorders are Mollenhauer European Boxwood which have a lovely tone. She also has a Mollenhauer Folk recorder to get the volume needed to be heard over the Other instruments in the band.

So I had better try and get to bed, very cold and frosty here tonight.

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning/evening folks, 5.6 on the dice today, thank you for your kind words and thoughts regarding our urchin at uni, they grow up leave home but the caring for them never goes away, many thanks all.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from Elysium where, oddly, fitbit has given me a pulse and I seem to be still breathing. Fbg was an underwhelming 5.6 this morning but once again exactly the same as bedtime which never happens/happened in the real world. I am naturally inclined to be more of the proverbial drain than radiator so psalm 42 v 5 was a nice rebuke earlier. You can take the diabetic boy out of the fens but the incessant drumbeat of how's my bg level still pounds away. It's a funny old game saint as Mr J Greaves esq once opined. Tooddle pip old beans.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning from Elysium where, oddly, fitbit has given me a pulse and I seem to be still breathing. Fbg was an underwhelming 5.6 this morning but once again exactly the same as bedtime which never happens/happened in the real world. I am naturally inclined to be more of the proverbial drain than radiator so psalm v 5 was a nice rebuke earlier. You can take the diabetic boy out of the fens but the incessant drumbeat of how's my bg level still pounds away. It's a funny old game saint as Mr J Greaves esq once opined. Toddle pip old beans.

Consider that maybe Elysium is the real world.
39344-happytuesday.jpg

I was going to head to bed but the KittenCat just settled down in my lap and now I can't get up.
^. .^

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Consider that maybe Elysium is the real world.
39344-happytuesday.jpg

I was going to head to bed but the KittenCat just settled down in my lap and now I can't get up.
^. .^
Thanks for that and I realised that v5 could be any psalm but in fact was Psalm 42. Time to take this stiff and malfunctioning body to the gym and/or pool and sauna before breakfast.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 5.2 after 4 hours sleep.

Freezing hard here, good job I remembered to cover the outdoor Bonsai last night, first time this year. A day for log fires but we can't light ours yet as still waiting the chimney sweep, so central heating on all day I suspect.

Too many aches for an icy bike ride so a day of watercolour painting and a relax for me.

Wrap up against the cold, unless you are @ianpspurs or in a place as wonderful as he is then keep cool :)

Have a great day.