Two meters, two numbers

Katstodian

Hey, question about meters :)

I've had my trusty little Freestyle Lite since June, which has never really failed me. And I've gotten some brand new strips two weeks ago.
However, because I'm going to be studying in England for five months and there was recently a sale on Accu-check Aviva with all the trimmings, my boyfriend bought me one of those with lots of test strips as well, so that I can be set for a while.

Now, because I was curious this morning, I decided to test on both of them at the same time. And the two showed completely different numbers - the Freestyle Lite showed 4.8 while the Accu-check showed 6.0. Later in the day, FL showed 5.2 while AC showed 6.4.

Vastly different numbers (Though, even if the higher numbers are true, kind of patting myself on the back for those numbers fasting/post-meal without meds, eh).

So anyway, here's my question: Has anyone ever tried having a faulty meter? How do I know which one is faulty? Can I re-sync a meter? Should I just get a completely third one?

Kind of slightly frustrated because this, to me, means that there's a risk of going out and buying a meter that just gives you wrong numbers without you knowing at all.

// Kat

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a similar problem with Freestyle lite. Normally my fasting numbers are <5.5 sometimes 4.8. Last week I started a new tub of strips and I got readings of 6.5 one day 6.4 the next. I got worried and then realised it was a new batch of strips. I then found a meter that was sent to me to try a Bayer one- big and clumsy and I had never even tried it. Next day 6.5 with the freestyle, 5.2 with the Bayer. I phoned Freestyle up and they sent me out a new initial pack which contained a tub of 10 strips. I used the new meter and with the "faulty" strips/ new strips for the next 3 days I got 6.5/5.2, 6.4/5.7, 5.9/5.2 . I used the same blood sample each day. I phoned them and their answer was that the strip readings were < 20% so that was OK and their control solution test came within the limits. I make no comment!!! Can we not trust the strip readings at all?

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also noticed this diffence between batches of strips.
Disconcertining if the new batch is giving higher readings than the previous :(

Strips can only give an approximate measure of blood glucose and are more useful in following trends.

As an ex-biochemist,very familiar with the inaccuracies in glucose methodology, I suppose the answer is to check a new batch against the old before you run out of old strips.

sugar2

I think that you are experiencing the inaccuracies of the test strips.meters. Definaetly getteh control solution for both to check them out...but I am always amazed what a wide range is acceptable....why give us x.x reading if it isn't reallythat accurate.

I gusee (and it is a guess!) back in the day, when these meters were develped, they were aimed at type 1s, who, had been using to urine testing, or looking at the change of colour on a strip.......so even ths +/- 10% accuracy that the meters claimed was a massive leap forward....and also because, at that time, it was nice just to have something that would indicate...low, OK..high! Obviously, as control has got better, and people are now used to checking their BG regularly, and more T2s test, who tend to have a smaller "range" of BG, this is starting to be an issue?

Might also be worth checking the Aviva...Avvuchek changed the strips a while back, I think to measure the same thing as other manufacurers (soory, cant remeber teh detail) I do remember that there was a leaflet in teh strips explaining it for a while. YOu can tell by what colour square is on teh box..yellow or green. I wonder if your 2 meters are actually measuring something sightly different?

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've been using an Ascensia Contour for about 5 years;
fasting readings dropped from 6.8 average before low carb;
& have averaged around 5.7 for the last 3 years.

I received a complimentary Contour a month ago, courtesy of this website;
fasting readings averaged 6.6, while the old meter still averaged 5.7.
I used strips from the same tub, on the same drop of blood.

The test solution gave the same reading - 6.6;

I do not expect identical readings from different meters, but that difference is unacceptable. As my HbA1c is around 6, I'm keeping to the old meter.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It's worth checking on the leaflet that comes with the meter, to find out whether it measures whole blood or plasma. The Freestyle Lite measures blood glucose in plasma.

I think that plasma readings are higher than whole blood, but I cannot now remember :oops: . Must have overworked the brain cell yesterday :lol: :lol: .

Mind you, I have had readings from the same meter, taken within seconds of each other but from different fingers, come out 0.8 different, so . . .

I think if your new meter is consistent, you might as well use it. Use them both together for a while and see if the readings always differ by a similar amount, them you'll know where you are. What's important is the consistency, not accuracy to decimal places. Particularly for Type 2s, though worse for Type 1s, maybe?

I use the Freestyle Lite most, always at home, and carry a Bayer Contour (whole blood) for emergencies when out-and-about. It will tell me if I'm going too far in either direction, which is what matters!

Good luck with it

Viv 8)