Determined to Win

Godmac28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People in society with no manners. Narcissists, Judgemental people, brussels sprouts,
Hi Folks,

I have been newly diagnosed with Type II. I also have another 11 conditions including Addison's Disease, Liver Cirrhosis (unknown origin), Pernicious Anaemia to name a few.

I am determined to put Type II into remission but wondered if any of you have any tips in terms of eating and/or exercise. Is there anything else you can recommend to knock this one out the park?

I am also putting together a recipe book with things that I like but am reducing the sugar / carb contents in them and replacing pastas with quinoa, etc … I would like to share some of those with you but am not sure the protocol in terms of giving people recipes, would these be seen as given medical advice as I do not want to put anyone under anymore risk.

Thanks,
D.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
replacing pastas with quinoa

Not sure that would help a lot.
Most of us find that by reducing carbohydrate consumption dramatically we have a beneficial lowering of average blood sugars.
I'll be slightly bold and say that those that cut the most appear to have the most effective results (or at least I did).

Replacing a 70% carbohydrate food type (pasta) with a 15% carbohydrate food type (quinoa) may be beneficial but replacing both with something with sub 10 % carbohydrate (or dare I say 5% carbohydrate) may well turn out to be "better".

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Godmac28 and welcome to the forums!
We like to give our new members this short introduction to diabetes for starters:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
As you asked for tips on eating, I'll tag @JoKalsbeek , she has enough tips to make your brain curl :)

I am also putting together a recipe book with things that I like but am reducing the sugar / carb contents in them and replacing pastas with quinoa, etc … I would like to share some of those with you but am not sure the protocol in terms of giving people recipes, would these be seen as given medical advice as I do not want to put anyone under anymore risk.
Sharing recipes is definitely not seen as medical advice, no worries. In fact, we have a whole section of the forum dedicated to food and nutricion, including recipes: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/#food-and-nutrition.28
So please post your recipes, but do not link to your book or website if it is in any way commercial, no advertising on the forum.

Good luck on this new diabetes journey!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tophat1900

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

I have been newly diagnosed with Type II. I also have another 11 conditions including Addison's Disease, Liver Cirrhosis (unknown origin), Pernicious Anaemia to name a few.

I am determined to put Type II into remission but wondered if any of you have any tips in terms of eating and/or exercise. Is there anything else you can recommend to knock this one out the park?

Thanks,
D.
Hello @Godmac28 , and welcome!

Remission is quite possible, and you'll hopefully find some relief for your other issues as well. I know my rheumatism is a whole lot better, and I require markedly less thyroid hormones for instance. And solved my non alcoholic fatty liver disease, though you've already hit cirrhosis, I don't know whether that'll help with the inflammation. Carbs are inflammatory though, so here's to hoping! Aaaanyway, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is everything I wish someone'd told me right when I was diagnosed. It'll cover some meal options too. (Dunno if they're enough to make your brain curl though, haha)

Can I make a suggestion? If you're going to share recipes, first make a study of this whole T2 thing. Dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code are good places to start, as well as this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!). I wouldn't go near quinoa, as it is too high in carbs for me personally, and aggravates my IBS, but there's plenty of lower carb alternatives out there yet. It all depends on how much carb cutting one wants/needs to do, but it would help to know whether a meal is keto, low carb, moderately low carb etc, so if you could add that info in your book-to-be that'd be helpful for most of us.

Good luck!
Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome from me as well.

Note that if you are on a cocktail of drugs, some of these can raise your blood glucose levels.

Godmac28

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People in society with no manners. Narcissists, Judgemental people, brussels sprouts,
Thank you all for your replies. I will take on board everything that's been said.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Allot of people will comment and post about the diet part, I will post about the exercise. The only part I will note, is that your main port of call on diet should be testing after eating as mentioned by others. Some people on here are extremely sensitive to carbs and can’t handle things like whole grains. I can, at least at the moment with my levels not rising significantly eating beans, lentils, bulger wheat, etc.. So all I will say is eat and test to see where you fit in, I will eventually go LCHF if my levels start going up but this will be a last resort for me, not my first point of call.

So exercise:

I also had fatty liver that was moving into scarring, perhaps not to the levels you may be experiencing but it was likely due to long term high blood glucose levels.

For diabetes you need a good mix of resistance exercises working your largest muscle groups a couple of times a week. This can be at the gym lifting weights, squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull downs etc – I use a system of increasing weight, decreasing reps. (So 8, 6, 4, 4, 6, 8 reps) but starting with a lighter weight on the 8 reps, then adding a bit down to the 4’s, then taking it away a bit as you go back to the 8’s. Allows for a good increase in weight, while also allowing a pace to keep the heart rate up – better over all then lifting the heaviest thing you can a few times.

If you can’t get to a gym, the alternative are body weight exercises that do the same thing, dips on a chair, push ups, pull ups, squat jumps, burpees all give a very good mix of cardio and resistance.

It is well noted that "interval" type training is excellent for management and improvement of Type 2 Diabetes. The diet part is very important, but the exercise can also significantly help in different ways. The idea with interval training, is to train as hard as you possibly can for a short period repeatedly. So, if your running outdoors or on a treadmill you sprint in “chased by a bear” mode for 30 seconds, or 60 seconds – so hard you couldn’t talk if you needed to. Then do 1 to 1.5mins of recovery (walking, or slow jogging) then go again. 5 to 10 sets.

Same for on a bike, or simply doing running on the spot, star jumps, squats etc.

You get a much better benefit to overall cardio performance doing say 10mins interval compared with 10 or 15mins of a steady run (even if you over the same distance).

Aside from the improvement to fitness, you also burn much more glucose in your body which helps clear out all your cells leaving room for more to be used from your blood stream. In addition, if you do a steady run, your body has time to convert normal fat stores into fuel (which is fine for weight loss), but when you work in intervals your body cannot produce enough energy quickly enough so it goes for the fat and other products sorted in your liver as they can be converted quickly. This can significantly reduce the time it takes for fatty liver disease to reverse and helps the liver to heal which is supposed to also improve insulin.

Things like circuit training classes are fantastic examples of organised interval training if you can get to one, I do a couple of different classes where your moving station to station. 45seconds of “something” then 15 seconds of body weight exercise (start jumps/squats etc), 15 seconds of rest as you move onto the next station. You can soon do the same thing at home with a very limited amount of equipment if needs be.

Reactions: Godmac28