Reversal or Remission

Texas Hobo

I was diagnosed in 2007, fasting sugar 318. I was put on Metformin twice a day. Last October I watched a YouTube video of a Dr. Jason Fung. It was his opinion that giving Metformin, even insulin were treating the results of diabetes but not diabetes itself. He suggests one can reverse diabetes. So I spoke with my doctor in December 2019, asking his opinion. He thought there may be some validity to it and agreed to allow me to try to lower my A1C for 3 months. Jan. 4, 2020 I started a low carb diet. My doctor said I needed to avoid white flour, rice, pasta and that vegetable carbs were different of other carbs. To simplify things I treat a carb as a carb no matter the source. I do not do the net carb thing, again a carb is a carb. I started with a blood sugar of 124, one week in 137, second week 104, third week 108. I started at 218 lbs. and at last weigh in 206. I have added a 2 mile walk at least every other day. So should I actually lower my A1C my doctor will remove one metformin. If I can remain there or lower 6 months later he will remove the second Metformin. I believe it will be remission, since should I return to the old diet, diabetes and Metformin will return as well.

Reactions: Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reversal or Remission? Either.

I tend to use the expression “reversal of diabetic symptoms”.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak
D

Deleted member 308541

@Texas Hobo: According to my GP and a CDE I spoke to at Diabetes Queensland, that there is no such thing a remission or reversed with T2 diabetes in Queensland.

This why I am saying I have my T2 under very good control, now if I start eating rubbish food again I will revert back to where I was three years ago and not under control.

I am a T2 in recovery mode if you like, the same as a alcoholic that has not had a drink for a year or more.

I have been off Metformin for nearly a year after being on it for 2½ years.

Here's a clearer pix of the one in my sig showing the period of time my hba1c has been in 30 mmol/mol level.

SdELGUe.jpg

Reactions: Texas Hobo

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in 2007, fasting sugar 318. I was put on Metformin twice a day.

Last October I watched a YouTube video of a Dr. Jason Fung. It was his opinion that giving Metformin, even insulin were treating the results of diabetes but not diabetes itself.

He suggests one can reverse diabetes.

So I spoke with my doctor in December 2019, asking his opinion. He thought there may be some validity to it and agreed to allow me to try to lower my A1C for 3 months.

Jan. 4, 2020 I started a low carb diet. My doctor said I needed to avoid white flour, rice, pasta and that vegetable carbs were different of other carbs.

To simplify things I treat a carb as a carb no matter the source. I do not do the net carb thing, again a carb is a carb.
I started with a blood sugar of 124, one week in 137, second week 104, third week 108.
I started at 218 lbs. and at last weigh in 206.

I have added a 2 mile walk at least every other day. So should I actually lower my A1C my doctor will remove one metformin. If I can remain there or lower 6 months later he will remove the second Metformin. I believe it will be remission, since should I return to the old diet, diabetes and Metformin will return as well.

Nice.
BG 123, now 108..was that fasting bloods in the morning ?
Lbs 218 now 208..good work in 3 weeks

and i also don't look at anything except the carb content, these days.
(uk so we don't count the fibre, US does i believe)
0-5 likee likee
5-10..mmhh decision decisions
10+..:***:..back on the shelf and move on..:bag:

as for Metformin..as i am aware ti suppresses the appetite slightly, but also has other properties that are of benefit, some say.

would you not be best to keep the metformin regime until you reach regular normal numbers, and give yourself the most help getting there are quickly as possible, before deciding to ditch them ?
..(i know many dislike the drugs thing, but if it's helping i say let it.)

And THAT wording is a constant debate on here,

But if I no longer suffer the risk of the consequences or complications of T2D,

i don't call it that i call it a RESULT.:D

Good luck on the Journey, Dr Fung is a Star as far i am concerned

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Hobo

Texas Hobo

@Texas Hobo: According to my GP and a CDE I spoke to at Diabetes Queensland, that there is no such thing a remission or reversed with T2 diabetes in Queensland.

This why I am saying I have my T2 under very good control, now if I start eating rubbish food again I will revert back to where I was three years ago and not under control.

I am a T2 in recovery mode if you like, the same as a alcoholic that has not had a drink for a year or more.

I have been off Metformin for nearly a year after being on it for 2½ years.

Here's a clearer pix of the one in my sig showing the period of time my hba1c has been in 30 mmol/mol level.

SdELGUe.jpg

Thanks for you chart. It shows that it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Hobo

Nice.
BG 123, now 108..was that fasting bloods in the morning ?
Lbs 218 now 208..good work in 3 weeks

and i also don't look at anything except the carb content, these days.
(uk so we don't count the fibre, US does i believe)
0-5 likee likee
5-10..mmhh decision decisions
10+..:***:..back on the shelf and move on..:bag:

as for Metformin..as i am aware ti suppresses the appetite slightly, but also has other properties that are of benefit, some say.

would you not be best to keep the metformin regime until you reach regular normal numbers, and give yourself the most help getting there are quickly as possible, before deciding to ditch them ?
..(i know many dislike the drugs thing, but if it's helping i say let it.)

And THAT wording is a constant debate on here,

But if I no longer suffer the risk of the consequences or complications of T2D,

i don't call it that i call it a RESULT.:D

Good luck on the Journey, Dr Fung is Star as far i am concerned

These are fasting readings in the morning. Till now they were generally in the mid 120's

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjraak

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in 2007, fasting sugar 318. I was put on Metformin twice a day. Last October I watched a YouTube video of a Dr. Jason Fung. It was his opinion that giving Metformin, even insulin were treating the results of diabetes but not diabetes itself. He suggests one can reverse diabetes. So I spoke with my doctor in December 2019, asking his opinion. He thought there may be some validity to it and agreed to allow me to try to lower my A1C for 3 months. Jan. 4, 2020 I started a low carb diet. My doctor said I needed to avoid white flour, rice, pasta and that vegetable carbs were different of other carbs. To simplify things I treat a carb as a carb no matter the source. I do not do the net carb thing, again a carb is a carb. I started with a blood sugar of 124, one week in 137, second week 104, third week 108. I started at 218 lbs. and at last weigh in 206. I have added a 2 mile walk at least every other day. So should I actually lower my A1C my doctor will remove one metformin. If I can remain there or lower 6 months later he will remove the second Metformin. I believe it will be remission, since should I return to the old diet, diabetes and Metformin will return as well.
I'm thinking a lot of T2's should really have a picture of Dr. Fung in their home with a little altar. The man's a lifesaver. ;) Seriously, you're doing really well, and you're right, a carb is a carb. Also, yeah, you're in remission... That is to say, a-symptomatic, but still a diabetic. If you start eating carbs again, your blood glucose will indeed respond, so... Seems like you've got a good grasp of this! Excellent work, well done!

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to ask this on "reversal". If you get your reading down below 42, then you no longer have diabetes, right? So you can start eating carbs, sugar, chocolate again? If you can't go back to carbs then even if your reading is below 42, you still have the condition, right? And you're just masking it by not eating carbs? Is it possible to reverse so that it's cured?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I want to ask this on "reversal". If you get your reading down below 42, then you no longer have diabetes, right? So you can start eating carbs, sugar, chocolate again? If you can't go back to carbs then even if your reading is below 42, you still have the condition, right? And you're just masking it by not eating carbs? Is it possible to reverse so that it's cured?

No, definitely wrong. You're diabetic, period. No, there is no cure ... yet. Excess carbs are off limits for life.

Control of levels (as you intimated) is the best you can do as many will attest :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I am in very good control of my T2, I have been off metformin for one year, I continue to eat LCHF food including plenty of meat.

I do not consider myself in remission or reversed but a recovering diabetic, just like a alcoholic who has not had a drink of alcohol for a couple of years. If I were to eat a lot carbs or junk food again I will be back where I started.

Here's a bigger pix of my sig so you can see it better.

SdELGUe.jpg

Ellenor2000

No, definitely wrong. You're diabetic, period. No, there is no cure ... yet. Excess carbs are off limits for life.

Control of levels (as you intimated) is the best you can do as many will attest :)
Would agree in effect but disagree in terminology.

If you don't have the pathology (hyperinsulinemia, hyperglycemia, complications thereof), in my crazyworld opinion, you don't have the disease per se. You have a food intolerance that, if untreated, leads to the disease. (and some people do have an increased carb tolerance after pulling back from the brink, so, there's that too.)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You say eether and I say eyether,
You say neether and I say nyther;
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,
Let's call the whole thing off!
You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!

You say reversal I say remission
Remission reversal reversal remission

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat more carbs and not see elevated blood glucose - what I see is the number on the scales a bit higher next morning. If I was to eat the things I have cut out of my basic diet on a regular basis I'd soon be feeling old and slow again - but why would I want to go back to the foods I was forced to agree to eat because a doctor or dietician believes them to be 'health' and essential for life - I was threatened with being taken to hospital and 'fed properly' when pregnant with my second child.
I cannot tolerate the level of carbs which are considered normal - I never have been able to and now that I am diabetic I will not be bullied into deviating from the diet which has always been best for me.
My normal intake of carbs is under 40 gm of carbs a day - so I have quite a bit of leeway with what is considered low carb - but any extra carbs I do eat have to be pretty special.

Texas Hobo

UPDATE
Well I've completed 6 weeks of my low carb diet. My average daily carb intake is about 77 g. Even with a fudge factor of 25% is approximately 99 g. Current weight 195 lbs. That's 23 lbs. from the start on 1/4/20. Should make a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks. (Isn't 20 lbs. a stone?)

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE
Well I've completed 6 weeks of my low carb diet. My average daily carb intake is about 77 g. Even with a fudge factor of 25% is approximately 99 g. Current weight 195 lbs. That's 23 lbs. from the start on 1/4/20. Should make a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks. (Isn't 20 lbs. a stone?)
14 lbs is one stone @Texas Hobo ..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My take is that the medical profession like to base their categories on the 'average' person's numbers so anyone falling outside those averages gets labelled 'type 2 diabetic'. Those just under this number are 'pre diabetic's'. It all seems nice and simple but there are many people who are glucose impaired, ie they struggle to process glucose/insulin. They may not even fall into the pre diabetic category but they still may suffer from an intolerance. With that in mind, I think a person will always have such an intolerance even though their numbers are not classified as 'diabetic numbers'. So can you start eating endless carbs again?, well yes but your body may continue to struggle with them.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all replies. I'm "only" 50 and just getting my head round a low-carb life for life. I was at 48 at the end of January and the doctor asked me to retake the test (I had the blood test yesterday), and so I don't know the results yet. But after 3 weeks of no carbs at all, I decided to "experiment" by having Southern Fried Chicken and yoghurts last night (as I haven't been properly diagnosed yet). All of a sudden my toes are hurting again... I'm going to have to go back on low-carb.