COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the links jjraak and urbanracer. I did a quick survey of it all. It's concerning.

At this point, all I can do is hope all my efforts to rebuild my health these last 5 years makes a difference. That and developing a working plan on which supplements to take for COVID-19 if I'm unfortunate enough to get the more aggressive strain. Think I'm going to go back and re-watch Peter Osborne's presentations and take notes in the morning. Am continuing to take gram of vitamin C five or so times a day and to use red light therapy at the beginning and end of each day. Started the NAC today. It can't hurt and it might help.

I really appreciate this thread. Thank you. :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This was posted a number of days ago on another forum. It was written by a retired UK GP, living, long term, with T1, and to me, it speaks sense.

Whilst I don't not consider myself to be medically frail, or any more at risk than anyone living without diabetes, I am currently living in a country with 35 confirmed cases. My life hasn't skipped a beat thus far.

View attachment 38923

An excellent post and sums up exactly how I’ve been thinking about it. Especially the last bit about Ebola being far more scary - I was involved in planning for that contingency at the hospital I worked at, but the planning was meticulous and thorough. Same with planning for the 2012 Olympics, I doubt many people realise the scale of planning, testing and dummy runs in case of a novel infection arriving at that time. It was stunning behind the scenes work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know of any diabetics surviving this? The stars etc just tell you of people with diabetes being the ones who die? It’s very worrying

No, no, it's not like that at all. Most people who have diabetes will come through this just fine. Here's the link to where you can look at the death rates... https://www.worldometers.info/coron...uEb52LnAHEj0d4jaijLJkuQgWERHT5b7xD-hRIxf0NtKw 9 out of 10 diabetics who become infected with the virus are surviving. You have to understand that some diabetics have very poor health.

Reactions: Stuarthmfc

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the links jjraak and urbanracer. I did a quick survey of it all. It's concerning.

At this point, all I can do is hope all my efforts to rebuild my health these last 5 years makes a difference. That and developing a working plan on which supplements to take for COVID-19 if I'm unfortunate enough to get the more aggressive strain. Think I'm going to go back and re-watch Peter Osborne's presentations and take notes in the morning. Am continuing to take gram of vitamin C five or so times a day and to use red light therapy at the beginning and end of each day. Started the NAC today. It can't hurt and it might help.

I really appreciate this thread. Thank you. :)

Please do post back your findings.
I have always found your posts of much interests and value.

We are whether we like it or not, in this together.
So a reservoir of useful information is always a good thing .

Take care, my friend.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please do post back your findings.
I have always found your posts of much interests and value.

We are whether we like it or not, in this together.
So a reservoir of useful information is always a good thing .

Take care, my friend.

jjraak, agreed. Informed is empowered. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An wxcellent post and sums up exactly how I’ve been thinking about it. Especially the last bit about Ebola being far more scary - I was involved in planning for that contingency at the hospital I worked at, but the planning was meticulous and thorough. Same with planning for the 2012 Olympics, I doubt many people realise the scale of planning, testing and dummy runs in case of a novel infection arriving at that time. It was stunning behind the scenes work.

Have to say, I like your optimism @DJC3
And i really DO hope he IS right, as do most right thinking people.

But on this, I think events worldwide are
Conspiring against him... Sadly.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Does anyone know of any diabetics surviving this? The stars etc just tell you of people with diabetes being the ones who die? It’s very worrying
Well if the stats say a percentage of infected diabetics died, the other percent will still be alive.

Reactions: Pipp and Stuarthmfc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came through 2 major airports in the last couple of days. My departure airport seemed more interested in ensuring the person travelling on my passport was the same person who entered the country a couple of months earlier. The differences were, my passport photo has me with a collar length bob, I entered the country with my hair a couple of inches longer, and on leaving, I had it in a ponytail, which he had never seen before. OK, so it's not my very best look, but it gets the mane out of the way for a while.

Incidentally, we often commented that we saw fewer masks on a day to day basis this year, than in previous times, but then Chinese tourist numbers were way, way down on normal.

On entering UK, aside from lengthy passenger announcements in 4 languages, prior to landing, it was no different to any other time, except, if anything, Heathrow Terminal 2 was even quieter than it usually is at 06:30.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
A friends son, who is in his early 20's, has just travelled to Thailand for a 3 months holiday experience with friends.
I hope it will be positive one for him.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very true, I think the panic has got to me!
i gave infromative, but it did make me smile too.

nice touch of humour and honesty.

it looks like your are new to the forum, but not to T1D..?

i am guessing, but i do hear the worry and anxiety, get that myself since last year.

as my therapist advised is it real or hypothetical, for any anxiety i had.

i think this has a touch of both, but for now it is hypothetical,

our health care here is different to others countries..in the US the problem there is paying for test many ...wont' or cant
the US has yet to address that
here we get care free at point of need, so hopefully the testing will show a trend the US may miss, even if we don't test religiously..and help us adapt faster to changing situations

making sure we have the best of health in whatever way we can, does increase our chances of avoiding the worst of this or any epidemic, but what keeps us safest ?..staying informed, stay up to date with the latest developments, take sensible precautions.

Not much more we can do BUT look after ourselves as best we can, and hope to avoid the worst, if that is what it comes to,
and as said, for many this IS mild, and recovery rates are high..

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A friends son, who is in his early 20's, has just travelled to Thailand for a 3 months holiday experience with friends.
I hope it will be positive one for him.

i loved our hols there....pretty sure he will too.. 3 months..very jealous....:arghh:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i loved our hols there....pretty sure he will too.. 3 months..very jealous....:arghh:

I have never been to Asia, only Europe and that was over 20 years ago, fingers crossed he will try to be safe and sensible.

Stuarthmfc

i gave infromative, but it did make me smile too.

nice touch of humour and honesty.

it looks like your are new to the forum, but not to T1D..?

i am guessing, but i do hear the worry and anxiety, get that myself since last year.

as my therapist advised is it real or hypothetical, for any anxiety i had.

i think this has a touch of both, but for now it is hypothetical,

our health care here is different to others countries..in the US the problem there is paying for test many ...wont' or cant
the US has yet to address that
here we get care free at point of need, so hopefully the testing will show a trend the US may miss, even if we don't test religiously..and help us adapt faster to changing situations

making sure we have the best of health in whatever way we can, does increase our chances of avoiding the worst of this or any epidemic, but what keeps us safest ?..staying informed, stay up to date with the latest developments, take sensible precautions.

Not much more we can do BUT look after ourselves as best we can, and hope to avoid the worst, if that is what it comes to,
and as said, for many this IS mild, and recovery rates are high..

Yeah I’m new to here but had t1 for 15 years. I’m 29 and have very good control so I really think I’m not too at risk, but I can’t help put panic and the worry for others with the condition is made worse by the generalised way diabetes is shown in articles and so on

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is clear that the idiots are now in charge in the U.K. The concept of restricting information to release once a week and not giving locations will just spread panic and distrust. This is the very time that we need to be able to trust the NHS and official information. Made clear in the Lancet last week, authoritative and unrestricted Information is the key to beating panic.

Reactions: Stuarthmfc

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, thanks for all the informative stuff folk are posting.
One thing that has occurred is the risk to all those people who are undiagnosed diabetics. I've read 1/2 million but I suspect it may be more.
The vast majority of us diagnosed, at least on here, are conscientious about our health and I suggest are giving ourselves the best chance of fighting anything we might catch, as Stuart says above.
Anyhow, best of luck.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those asking about specific risk for PWD, post #1 and #6 on this thread give the best Medical data (SARS and MERS) available.

SARS2 data is only applicable to the first 28days of China and it now seems that SARS2-COVID is somewhere between the two original strains. But again with the proviso that it is not further evolving.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, thanks for all the informative stuff folk are posting.
One thing that has occurred is the risk to all those people who are undiagnosed diabetics. I've read 1/2 million but I suspect it may be more.
The vast majority of us diagnosed, at least on here, are conscientious about our health and I suggest are giving ourselves the best chance of fighting anything we might catch, as Stuart says above.
Anyhow, best of luck.

mmhh excellent point made @Jo_the_boat

pretty sure, at point of Dx we were are more vulnerable. and like you say we then (well i did ) take our health a little more seriously, so can't of harmed our chances, hopefully.

does make you wonder how that plays out for those, ( who like us before our own day in the chair to get THAT bad news)
are as unaware of the added risks of T2D as many of us were the days before DX, and the impact that covid may have on them.

i guess that must have been evidenced in china, Italy etc as well.....interesting thought tho'

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This novel,The Eyes of Darkness, by Dean Koontz was published May 10 1981, I was sent this snippet from the book this morning. More here and I have never heard of this author before, even though I am an avid reader, but not of horror/science fiction.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...conspiracy-wuhan-china-symptoms-a9364386.html more here.
Screenshot_20200305-093332 - Edited.png