Type 2 General Question...(i think)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its hard to get actual numbers from my doctor, usually just get satisfactory or high, something like that. If I remember though, the idal reading should be 40 or lower and mine were around 150 (I think)

I do blood test usually once a day at around 10AM before I have anything to eat, readings for the last 2 or 3 months are around the 12 to 14 and occassionally up to 17, a few months back this would have been in the 9.5 to 10.5 area.
Well my ALT count was very similar at around 160 at its highest. 3 weeks of low carbing and taking Lipotropic Factors (a supplement from my nutritionist) and it was down to around 55 ! 3 weeks! After being told I was on my way to sclerosis.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've made my decision, I'm not planning on doing anything I'm just going to live my life how I want on my terms, eat & drink what I want, when I want, exercise how I want when I want - basically give up
I think you may have given up because what you have tried doesn't work...so what's the point? When you find something that does work the motivation comes back. And for me the motivation came half from wanting to live and be healthy and half from wanting to show various HCPs that I wasn't the lazy loser they thought I was.

You can do this. You have spent 10 years doing it their way. Give it 3 months doing it our way. There's a forum full of us wanting you to succeed.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I've made my decision, I'm not planning on doing anything I'm just going to live my life how I want on my terms, eat & drink what I want, when I want, exercise how I want when I want - basically give up
You do realise far as suicide goes, that's not the most efficient plan, right? Because that's what you're saying is your plan, basically. But long before uncontrolled T2'll kill you, you can and likely will get a bucket load of very nasty, painful complications that you have to live with. Your legs won't, as you might miss those somewhere along the line, what with amputations... But hey, you go ahead.

Does me saying that tick you off? Because oh my GOD, I hope it does! Anything to get you riled up and get you tackling this thing just to prove me, and your doc for that matter, wrong. Spite us, PLEASE. Kicking the bucket wouldn't "show her" , it'd just prove her right. How attractive is that prospect?

There are answers out there. And you don't have to feel the way you feel right now... I KNOW, I've been there! I've had the pumped stomach, I've had a knife wrestled from me, I have been pulled away from a balcony ledge. Not metaphors, I actually went that route. I also smoked like a chimney, because if people kept getting to me somehow to keep me alive, then at least that was a sort of socially accepted way to check out. I will never be cured of my depression, but it isn't that big black gaping and rather painful hole in my chest it once was. I control my blood sugars, and thus my mood. It helps. So whether you do this on your own, get some medication for your emotional state going if you haven't already, or whatever.... But I can promise you it does NOT have to feel the way it feels right now. Besides... You're on here asking questions, so part of you isn't resigned to giving up completely, right? Consciously or subconsciously. You're mad at the doc because she confirmed your fears/thoughts, but she's not quite 100% herself right now either, otherwise she would've known what the impact would be. Give it a go. Carnivore, like @bulkbiker mentioned, does sound like it's right up your alley... And it would get you off medication and away from high blood sugars, high cholesterol and fatty liver disease in no time at all. You could be feeling well in a matter of a month, maybe even sooner. Not to mention what it'd do for your brain chemistry.

I know, depression is the total absence of hope. That's why I'm on here, even if people scare the **** out of me, and sometimes I feel like running for the hills, especially when someone doesn't give a fig about my personal boundaries. Because when I was diagnosed there was no hope whatsoever, and it doesn't have to be hopeless, not at all. That's all i have to offer on here: hope. It's up to you to see it and act on it, but it's there for the taking, if you want it.

Just so you know.
Jo

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just to say that you are able to make choices in your dietary intake.
Because you have a chance, now, to change!
If you were told that if you eat the high carbs, you would die within a year.
That was my choice!

That was nearly a decade ago!

I was severely obese, NAFL, insulin resistant, hyperinsulinaemic and was in a similar position as you, everything my surgery was telling me to do didn't work!

If I can do it, you can! Follow @bulkbiker advice and go carnivore until you get better control.
I hate most vegetables! I eat a zero carb diet, it works!

Show the dsn that you can do it! (She ain't an expert!)
We're not either, but we've been there and beaten it!

Best wishes

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ACG

As @Brunneria suggested.. channel the anger and prove them wrong..

When the area DN told me that my T2 was a chronic, progressive disease and that I'd end up on insulin I decided (having luckily already joined here and read extensively) that she was talking complete tosh.

I'd already cut out almost all carbs, started intermittent fasting and had stopped taking metformin by myself.
When she credited the meds with my first lowering of HbA1c I took great pleasure in telling her they were in the bin, and had been for a while!

She was a bit shocked.. more that I had decided to stop taking them myself than the fact that they'd had no role in my lowering HbA1c I think!

Unfortunately she left quite soon after that so I haven't had the opportunity to show her my most recent results worse luck...

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read so many times of people being blamed for poor advice not working, and I experienced it for decades up until I was diagnosed type two.
If you change your diet - maybe with the help of a meter - you might find that you never needed the medication in the first place.
My liver was large and hard at diagnosis, I could not bend down without getting my ribs pushed out and feeling dizzy. A few months later I was cleaning the bottom of the fridge, no trouble.
I went back to low carb when diagnosed, and had it beaten in 6 months.
You are eating more starch and sugar than you can cope with - by cutting right down there is a good chance that you will feel a lot better and get rid of a lot of problems.

Reactions: zand

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Further to my last post, your increase in medication is due to poor blood glucose control, probably due to a combination of dietary choices and probably not enough exercise and alcohol. Your lifestyle!
The Gliptin is probably used to increase your insulin response because of insulin resistance, the Ozempic will help with lowering your glucose levels, as long as it is not bombarded with too much fast glucose derived from high glycaemic foods.
Ozempic is a new drug that has had great success in lowering hba1c levels in those like you who have poor control.
My wife has been on this drug for nearly a year, and the results are very promising, she is due to come off it if her results are good, which they are!

If I can do it, if my wife can do it!

Nuff said!

Reactions: ziggy_w and zand

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
I have been type 2 for the past 10 years or so, currently on statins, 4xMetformin, 2xGlycaside (sorry about spelling) and weekly ozempic injection. Quite frankly I'm board with it all now and have decided to stop all of my medication later in the year. My question is, I already have elevated numbers on my liver function, I'm 55 year old and get told every year that I should reduce alcohol intake but I drink around 30 units per YEAR, how long does it take at high sugar levels for liver to collapse?

I know this isn't what people want to see or hear. I belive I have suffered from depression for about 20+ years but have always been able to deal with it via work etc, now I'm having to work from home I have more chance to think and act on decisions I have made. My decision has been reinforced by my GP, having seen a diabetic nurse yesterday for a meds review I was sent through to see tla GP and after a minute or so conversation her words, and this is a quote "you are wasting my time, making me annoyed and angry. There are people dying at the moment and you are here not accepting help, get out and don't come back." I've made my decision, reinforced by GP I'm just trying to find out time scales
From the list of medicine, it is clear your labs are far from normal. From personal experience with T2D, I recommend going very low carb. Reducing your carbs drastically will help heal your liver, apparently you have NAFLD. A very low carb diet will help you retrieve optimum liver and pancreas functions; and as bonus: weight loss, better blood glucose management, lower blood pressure, better lipid numbers.

Reactions: zand

dipsydo

Just think if you take the bull by the horns and try low carb with monitoring you blood sugars to see what foods impact your sugar level , you could then go back in a year and tell the doctor that by doing low carb you are now in control in of you body. I know that low carb is not for everyone but if you like meat and fish it is relatively easy and you can eat as much as you likens long as it is low carb and most people do not get hungry. If you do go low carb you would need to be careful about going hypo because a lot of your meds increase insulin which is will not be needed if you are low carb . You would need to take advice on this ... and I know you may be disinclined to consider this option because of the behaviour of your Health professionals.

You are sounding down and I hope you would not make a decision you could regret by eating what you want and having increasing poor health. If you reduce your meds without changing diet and exercise you will, I assume, get classic diabetes’s symptoms . I am not a doctor but I assume that dying from impaired liver function is not an quick or easy death.

There are plenty of success stories on this site, and people here to help . Think about your options and please speak to people close to you as I am sure they would not want you to take a decision that they and you might regret.