What does it mean??

Smokoo

Hi everyone
Just joined..... and I'm confused worried about some recent blood tests - Hbac1 is 30mmol, but glucose fasting is was 7.5mmol. Doctor says come back in 3 months for repeat tests. I'm doing my own readings - most are within the normal range but I had one really high reading after I ate a bowl of pasta! Also a high reading after a 5k run. Feel sick with worry, not helped by the fact I've got to wait a while for a repeat test... does it sound like ive got T1 or T2 diabetes? Thank you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
Just joined..... and I'm confused worried about some recent blood tests - Hbac1 is 30mmol, but glucose fasting is was 7.5mmol. Doctor says come back in 3 months for repeat tests. I'm doing my own readings - most are within the normal range but I had one really high reading after I ate a bowl of pasta! Also a high reading after a 5k run. Feel sick with worry, not helped by the fact I've got to wait a while for a repeat test... does it sound like ive got T1 or T2 diabetes? Thank you.
So far, so good. What do you consider a "really high reading"? Might not be what we'd consider one. It was pasta, that's very, very carby and practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. The more numbers you throw at us, the better, but if the HbA1c is correct, your blood sugars are perfection. So breathe, okay?

Reactions: Smokoo and EllieM

Buzzer81

Hi Smokoo,

Welcome! When you say ‘really high’ what number was it? Everyone has different ideas of what that might be!

Eating pasta will cause a spike so don’t be too alarmed by that, exercise also causes increase in blood sugar so that isn’t unusual per se. I wouldn’t say anything you’ve said indicates you even have diabetes but you may be on the road there. It is worthwhile considering t2 diabetes as a potential risk and overhauling your diet now to avoid future worries. I know I wish I did. If your doc says wait three months then maybe use that time to focus on diet and I bet you’ll see a turnaround. Stick on this forum for lots of amazing tips from some very helpful and knowledgable people.

Reactions: Smokoo

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
does it sound like ive got T1 or T2 diabetes? Thank you.

In my opinion, no, it doesn't sound like it.

An HbA1c of 30 is very normal, excellent in fact.

Anyone would have a high reading after a bowl of pasta. What was your reading? Did you do a second test an hour later?

A fasting glucose reading of 7.5 could indicate something of concern, but many things affect this reading, including anxiety, stress, rushing about getting to the surgery, etc. What sort of readings do you see at home, immediately after leaving your bed and washing hands?

Exercise such as a 5k run is likely to show increased blood glucose levels in the short term. Housework increases mine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

To be honest, it's impossible to tell from the information you have given.

Your HbA1c is well, well under any diagnostic level for any form of diabetes. Your fasting test isn't ideal, but there are so, so many factors that can influence that. A level of 7.5 in isolation would not bring any diagnosis.

Your high reading from pasta - not enough information given, and those who do not have diabetes can experience sharp upward spikes from carb-heavy foods, like pasta, but usually it reverts to more palatable levels quite quickly.

Provided you are feeling generally well, in your shoes, I would wait the 3 months for a repeat test. If you start exhibiting severe symptoms, then go back to your doctor to discuss it.

That would be my take, but as I say, the information is a bit scant.

Smokoo

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. Ok my reading after the pasta was 11mmol, taken 1.5hrs after I'd eaten. It was wholemeal pasta. After my run it was 7.1mmol. My readings throughout the day are between 4.5 and 6.5 but I haven't eaten any carbs since the high pasta reading because I'm too worried to. I feel dizzy a lot of the time, blurred vision, thirsty at night and pains in my lower legs/tingling in feet at night. No excess toilet visits, or thrush - yet. My BMI is 19.6 and I weight 8st 2lb. I have no family history of diabetes but I do have high blood pressure which I take medication for. I'm pretty sure it is diabetes but I'm currently controlling in with diet. Would be good to know though. Someone also told me my ow hca1 reading could be because I'm anaemic? I dont know if I am anaemic but I dont eat meat or dairy so it is possible. Thanks again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. Ok my reading after the pasta was 11mmol, taken 1.5hrs after I'd eaten. It was wholemeal pasta. After my run it was 7.1mmol. My readings throughout the day are between 4.5 and 6.5 but I haven't eaten any carbs since the high pasta reading because I'm too worried to. I feel dizzy a lot of the time, blurred vision, thirsty at night and pains in my lower legs/tingling in feet at night. No excess toilet visits, or thrush - yet. My BMI is 19.6 and I weight 8st 2lb. I have no family history of diabetes but I do have high blood pressure which I take medication for. I'm pretty sure it is diabetes but I'm currently controlling in with diet. Would be good to know though. Someone also told me my ow hca1 reading could be because I'm anaemic? I dont know if I am anaemic but I dont eat meat or dairy so it is possible. Thanks again.
Get a blood test for anemia, as they can indeed skew HbA1c results. If you don't eat meat you likely are, so yeah... That does need to be taken into consideration.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
7.1 after running seems a good number, I go up to 9. The 11 number seems a tad high (borderline), so that now you know what pasta does, you can nix it. IMHO start measuring with other meals, nix the ones that make you spike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokoo and Buzzer81

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, as others have said it sounds like you don't have diabetes or at worst you may be 'pre-diabetic'. Wait for your next HBa1C which is a very reliable test and see what it is. In the meantime you have nothing to worry about.

Smokoo

Thanks again all, I'm feeling a bit calmer after reading all your comments and advice. Just one more thing please -is anyone good at interpreting blood results? If so, was I tested for "anaemia"?? I've no idea. If i wasnt I'll ask to be to checked - as one of you kindly suggested.
Screenshot_20200619-134354_WhatsApp.jpg

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks again all, I'm feeling a bit calmer after reading all your comments and advice. Just one more thing please -is anyone good at interpreting blood results? If so, was I tested for "anaemia"?? I've no idea. If i wasnt I'll ask to be to checked - as one of you kindly suggested. View attachment 42182
You were, and it seems alright. You're perfectly in range for those indicators as well. (Well done!)

M

Member496333

Fasting glucose of 7.5 indicates (to me) that you’re likely starting to become insulin resistant. This could go on for years or decades before the HbA1c diagnostic criteria is met. A fasting insulin test would reveal all, but getting a doctor to order one of those is like getting blood out of a stone.

Technically you’re not diabetic but, in my opinion, that morning reading is a warning shot across the bow that hints at some mild metabolic dysfunction. I’d begin thinking about doing some dietary research on these boards. You’ll find that the food many of us eat to fix/control diabetes is equally effective at preventing it.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know your vit D status? Tingling, tiredness, anxiety all related to low vit D. The high blood pressure does suggest (to me) possible early indication of insulin resistance.

M

Member496333

The high blood pressure does suggest (to me) possible early indication of insulin resistance.

I concur. Raised fasting glucose and hypertension are likely (but not necessarily definite) signs of insulin resistance. But to be honest the majority probably unknowingly come under this umbrella these days. I think OP is in a good position to act now while it's still very mild.

Reactions: LaoDan and Smokoo