Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

trooper68

err are you meant too fast? I've been diagnosed for at least 14 years and I have never fasted unless I was asked to by my GP before a blood test I did a 10 years back. To be quite honest, I did have a Diabetic Nurse that was useless as she basically gave me a prescription for Nova Rapid to go along with my long other insulin. Matter of fact reading on here I understand that you have to have regular blood tests for kidney function, iron levels etc. I did go back to my GP several times to see him, but the changes made to book him meant that I cannot get to see him, I get to see another GP so not really understand the why I ask them basic question on what I should be doing more.

For example I was told by one Nurse that I need to loose weight as I am overweight -- my BMI was too much. Over the phone, without ever seeing me(see still has not)... okay. I cycle. job, and go to the gym, I jog every morning, 50 60 mins, then have breakfast, fibre/porridge mix with water. I often cycle to work, 12 miles one way (then cycle home) I eat healthy. I am 6ft muscular and can out run, out cycle someone half my age (52). I don't drink or smoke - don't eat any confectionery or hidden sugars - a nightmare for my poor wife if she is shopping for me. I read on here and I do feel synthetic to everyone who suffers with it. My issue seems to be the lack of reliable information from my GP or in general NHS, I was given a leaflet and a web link and that was it and none of it makes sense (what's a a1c?). No blood regular tests were explained and why, the need to fast - why? testing the iron levels, or urine tests? I have been asked to come in this year for the first time ever - why? no one can explain to me why I need any of these and why its important to get them done, I was just left to deal with it, from a leaflet - I only just found out I should have seen a dietitian way back, never even mentioned it to me. I only ever get silence over the phone as if they are saying I should know this - I agree I don't know.

Thank you for reading this, it comes across as a moan, but I am sick to the back teeth of trying to get reliable information when asking my Surgery for information or any professional who deals with diabetic issues (including the constant pains I get in my arms and legs.)

Trooper

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
err are you meant too fast?
Hi @trooper68! Fasting blood glucose (fbg) means the blood glucose reading taken first thing in the morning. It doesn't mean you have to fast before taking it, though obviously you won't have eaten for a few hours as you were sleeping.

My fbg was 6.5 at 0530 today.