New to Forum - Morning Readins

RGJ1970

Hi - new here. T2 since June 2019z Hbac1 at 8.7 on diagnosis. Down to 5.8 on last test (March 2020). 2 x 500mg Metformin a day. Trying to be careful on carbs but certainly not in Keto territory. Question - seen lots on liver dump/Dawn Phenomenon but query what is considered to be a “high” reading immediately upon waking. Mine was 7.2 at 06:00 this morning, I do not check daily so have no pattern to report but at face value this seemed higher than I thought it would be. Didn’t have anything out of ordinary for dinner last night, or eat too late. Is 7.2 high for a morning reading as soon as you wake or within an anticipated range? Thanks.

Reactions: ianpspurs

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi - new here. T2 since June 2019z Hbac1 at 8.7 on diagnosis. Down to 5.8 on last test (March 2020). 2 x 500mg Metformin a day. Trying to be careful on carbs but certainly not in Keto territory. Question - seen lots on liver dump/Dawn Phenomenon but query what is considered to be a “high” reading immediately upon waking. Mine was 7.2 at 06:00 this morning, I do not check daily so have no pattern to report but at face value this seemed higher than I thought it would be. Didn’t have anything out of ordinary for dinner last night, or eat too late. Is 7.2 high for a morning reading as soon as you wake or within an anticipated range? Thanks.

This information page gives you idealised glucose levels.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

From a personal point of view, your numbers are a little higher than many here would like, but not alarmingly so.

You may need to reduce carbs a bit further, what are you actually eating?

Reactions: RGJ1970

RGJ1970

Will read thank you. For dinner last night I had fish in a light dusted crumb, vegetables and 80g root fries. Less than 50g carbs in all. Earlier in day had a tuna salad. Try to eat 2 meals a day in a 8 hour window and keep carbs below 150g a day.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything can get your dump a bit higher... From a restless night, (and who sleeps soundly in this recent heat?), to nightmares, stress, a cold or whatever.... One reading doesn't say much, but yeah, it's a bit higher than would be ideal. Cutting carbs a bit further would probably be a good idea, but first, maybe see whether this is a common thing or a one-off? Test a few times and see.

RGJ1970

Anything can get your dump a bit higher... From a restless night, (and who sleeps soundly in this recent heat?), to nightmares, stress, a cold or whatever.... One reading doesn't say much, but yeah, it's a bit higher than would be ideal. Cutting carbs a bit further would probably be a good idea, but first, maybe see whether this is a common thing or a one-off? Test a few times and see.

Just checked again and down to 5.7. Need to get my head around testing....

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checked again and down to 5.7. Need to get my head around testing....
The more reliable indicator of how you're doing is the tests around meals. Test before a meal and two hours after the first bite. There shouldn't be a rise of more than 2.0 mmol/l between them. If you can keep that up, your blood sugars should stabilise and keep from spiking. Morning BG would be affected by that too.

Reactions: Todd1974

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome.
You may indeed be able to get your morning readings lower but I think it's important to say where you are is not bad.
When you look at the morning readings here they are on the whole very very good when Ch can be a bit dispiriting to those who no matter what they do will never evade the morning dump.
It sounds like your on Metformin only so congratulate yourself on the control you have gained through hard work whilst being on one of the mildest medication regime.
By all means experiment and see if you can improve further but as others have said your control before and after meals is far more important
You're doing well

RGJ1970

Hi and welcome.
You may indeed be able to get your morning readings lower but I think it's important to say where you are is not bad.
When you look at the morning readings here they are on the whole very very good when Ch can be a bit dispiriting to those who no matter what they do will never evade the morning dump.
It sounds like your on Metformin only so congratulate yourself on the control you have gained through hard work whilst being on one of the mildest medication regime.
By all means experiment and see if you can improve further but as others have said your control before and after meals is far more important
You're doing well

Thank you so much for the input. I’m trying to get up to speed having spent a while in shock and denial. Hopefully starting to turn a corner. I am on metformin only. 1000 mg split between 2 500mg doses. How much of an effect does metformin have? As in how do I know how much positive effect is the drug, and how much is good diet/e recuse/sleep regime? Only ask as you say it is a ‘mild’ medication?

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I've read on here Metformin has only a small effect less than 1 point ish on your meter. It's your diet that has turned things around so give yourself a big pat on the back.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat under 40 gm of carbs a day, all from salad and low carb veges with a few berries for dessert once in a while, except on rare occasions I have low carb bread, 4gm per slice. My Hba1c numbers have been at the top of the normal range for some years, my blood glucose figures, after eating indicate it ought to be lower, but I did low calorie low fat diets as often as the Dr could persuade me to do them, and I think something is broken...
Even with my history, the food is the all important factor. Exercise helps, but that was quite easy as the low carb diet gave me the energy I had been lacking eating all those 'healthy carbs' as prescribed.