My head is spinning. First real post.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been a nightmare trying to get my brother to understand my results as he is in the US and they do it differently.
The convertor on this page may help: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
In the UK for the HbA1C we tend to use the IFCC result (it's in mmol/mol) - though some doctors still use the older DCCT result (ie the one that looks like a percentage), in the US they use the one that looks like a percentage.
For finger prick tests we use mmol/L and in the US they use mg/dl, to get the US number just times the UK number by 18, so 5mmol/l = 90 mg/dl

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can ask for a printout of your results if you can't see them online. Is your brother Type 1 or Type ?

Jennji

As to other good sources, you might want to have a look at the results of Virta Health (https://www.virtahealth.com/outcomes), who have conducted a clinical study on low carb, including the famous TedX talk by Sarah Hallberg, who is now clinical director there https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3A2BA0C29C07AF2D4A9D3A2&view=detail&FORM=VIRE.

I'm personally also a big fan of Ben Bikman, a researcher who focuses on the role of insulin in metabolism. There are lots of youtube videos of him. I find these videos extremely helpful in understanding what goes wrong in T2 diabetes.

That was a great speech. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing.:)

Jennji

The convertor on this page may help: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
In the UK for the HbA1C we tend to use the IFCC result (it's in mmol/mol) - though some doctors still use the older DCCT result (ie the one that looks like a percentage), in the US they use the one that looks like a percentage.
For finger prick tests we use mmol/L and in the US they use mg/dl, to get the US number just times the UK number by 18, so 5mmol/l = 90 mg/dl

Wonderful reply, thanks. Makes more sense now.:)

Jennji

You can ask for a printout of your results if you can't see them online. Is your brother Type 1 or Type ?

Ok, I shall do that at my next appointment. My brother is T2 he was diagnosed last summer. He has gone vegan which was why he was trying to 'sell me' on it. But in my usually skeptical way I decided research would be my best bet. Being an older brother he does have a tendency of trying to steer me into his way of seeing things, but sadly for him, I am not usually very easily influenced, I am more of a research all thoroughly before I make my conclusions with qualifiable data. Cuz you cannot always believe what is on the internet:)

Reactions: Flora123

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also noticed you tag. I am still trying to understand the difference between the US readings and ours. Been a nightmare trying to get my brother to understand my results as he is in the US and they do it differently. He is also a trauma nurse so likes all the technical info and to be honest, here it seems like they don't give you very much info. I wish they would have a letter which showes and explained all my blood tests readings rather than just say ' yeah they are all good but this one' LOL

I noticed @Rokaab has already posted a converter. Here's a list of other converters on this site that might be helpful. Btw, I am from Germany and we use the U.S. system and I have to consistently convert too. It will soon become second nature.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, thank you so much for your response. I'm learning more and more as I go. It does make absolute sense and I think for now that is the way I shall go. I think sometimes I just wish I had a list of 'do this" don't do that" and then I know where the land lays. See, I do LOVE meat. I love dairy, although only with a lactase tablet. I know this approach would be quite easy for me to implement. It is just the FAT I cannot get my head around. Eating some fruit (95% which I usually save for my kids) I do enjoy, but it is figuring out which ones are best for me. Veg...I will eat anything, but then again, I keep seeing conflicting info on what is good or bad. I've been on many diets so know how the 'scoot around" works for things I may miss. But to be honest, I don't have a sweet tooth I am more of a savoury girl and I only every had tortilla chips or the occasion ready salted chips, so since they are gone now, meh....I rarely had them anyway. I will miss my potatoes and pasta, but zoodles are lush and cauliflower rice was already a staple in our house. It is just going to be getting the food down me without fear or concern. And perhaps trying to work out a regular eating pattern because I tend to eat most of my calories in my evening meal once my ADHD meds aren't effecting my hunger and I don't eat after dinner unless I am too short of calories and so may have some cheese or something little. My meter has been helping me for sure. But still trying to figure out why my readings seem to be lower in the afternoon...in fact they are usually the lowest of the day.

Anyway, thanks so much for your info, it has been enlightening for sure. xx

Hi @Jennji,

As to fruit, berries usually work for low carb (i.e., strawberries, raspberries and blackberries especially). Personally, I can even get away with an apricot. High cocoa content chocolate, though you might work your way up, (I actually have 88% cocoa content) is also good and has a lot of other health benefits. As to crackers, try this recipe https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, thank you so much for your response. I'm learning more and more as I go. It does make absolute sense and I think for now that is the way I shall go. I think sometimes I just wish I had a list of 'do this" don't do that" and then I know where the land lays. See, I do LOVE meat. I love dairy, although only with a lactase tablet. I know this approach would be quite easy for me to implement. It is just the FAT I cannot get my head around. Eating some fruit (95% which I usually save for my kids) I do enjoy, but it is figuring out which ones are best for me. Veg...I will eat anything, but then again, I keep seeing conflicting info on what is good or bad. I've been on many diets so know how the 'scoot around" works for things I may miss. But to be honest, I don't have a sweet tooth I am more of a savoury girl and I only every had tortilla chips or the occasion ready salted chips, so since they are gone now, meh....I rarely had them anyway. I will miss my potatoes and pasta, but zoodles are lush and cauliflower rice was already a staple in our house. It is just going to be getting the food down me without fear or concern. And perhaps trying to work out a regular eating pattern because I tend to eat most of my calories in my evening meal once my ADHD meds aren't effecting my hunger and I don't eat after dinner unless I am too short of calories and so may have some cheese or something little. My meter has been helping me for sure. But still trying to figure out why my readings seem to be lower in the afternoon...in fact they are usually the lowest of the day.

Anyway, thanks so much for your info, it has been enlightening for sure. xx

Your blood sugars lowering in the evening is actually a good sign. It means you are putting fewer carbs in, so the insulin you produce can do its job. Many of us have had elevated morning blood sugar levels for quite some time as we tend to be most insulin resistant in the morning. This also tends to normalize after some time, though it took about half a year for me.

I will also tag @JoKalsbeek for her "nutritional things", which is really helpful when starting out.

Last edited:
Reactions: VashtiB and Jennji

Jennji

Hi @Jennji,

As to fruit, berries usually work for low carb (i.e., strawberries, raspberries and blackberries especially). Personally, I can even get away with an apricot. High cocoa content chocolate, though you might work your way up, (I actually have 88% cocoa content) is also good and has a lot of other health benefits. As to crackers, try this recipe https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers.

They look yummy. Will miss my husband's homemade crackers as he has an amazing 40 year old sourdough started which made amazing seeded crackers. I usually only have dark chocolate anyway and only rarely had it. Because I only drink water and don't have juices or drink, I always find other chocolates too sweet for me. But 88% is a goal. I think the most I have had is 85% and that was too bitter for me, I'll try working my way up the chocolate ladder.

I was born in Germany and lived there until I was 8, loved it.:)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are recipes for low carb crackers - try putting anything you want to try but with keto in front.
There is 'fat head' pizza too.
I'm afraid vegan is the least type 2 friendly way to eat - I can eat meat, fish and other sea foods, eggs, cheese and add in low carb veges or salad or some berries and be really low carb. Eating that way lowered my cholesterol which I was told was impossible - I got a bit sarcastic. 'so 5 is more than 6 is it?' sort of thing.

Reactions: Jennji

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Eating Low Carb has raised my cholesterol, both my HDL and my LDL. It also lowered my Triglycerides.
But the key thing is that it has improved the main concern Triglycerides /HDL so that according to Dr Paul Mason I'm now in the lowest risk range- at lest on that measure. Which makes it unlikely that my higher LDL is of the glycated or oxidised types (the only ones considered to be really bad for you).

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jenni
I'm about 4 months ahead of you and am still learning so please dont try to learn it all and do it all at once. There is so much info out there, and more research being done daily.
Stress raises BG too, so first simple steps. Cut out all sugar, including honey, agave, sweetners too if you can. Cut out bread, pasta rice and potatoes and all fruit except for 3-4 strawberries a day while they are in season. Put any worries about fat and cholesterol aside for a few weeks at least. Let your sugars come down while you pause for breath. If you are hungry eat nuts or olives or cheese, but only small amounts. Otherwise simple meat fish or egg based meals with veg or salad. Simples

Then, and only when you are happy to, you can look at timing of food, and making anyother adjustments or choices. They really aren't important right now.

As example in 4 months I have gone from carbs and chocolholic to very low carb, 2 meals a day contemplating doing longer fats and going more keto , even toying with carnivore...but it will still be few months before I do any of these, when the time feels right. I have only gradually got to this stage having done lots of reading and research and listening to my body. I have lost at least 2 stone and 8 inches from my waist. I haven't been hungry. My skin is good and my digestion first rate. There have been hiccups, stalls and bad days and I never ever thought I would like some of the things I now love to eat...clotted cream straight off the spoon, grilled cheese without the toast but now I do because I can see my body loving it and healing.

Just be kind to yourself and to your body, take it slowly and you will get there and heal. Just dont pressure yourself with targets, decisions and anxiety. You've a lifetime yet xx

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jenni
I'm about 4 months ahead of you and am still learning so please dont try to learn it all and do it all at once. There is so much info out there, and more research being done daily.
Stress raises BG too, so first simple steps. Cut out all sugar, including honey, agave, sweetners too if you can. Cut out bread, pasta rice and potatoes and all fruit except for 3-4 strawberries a day while they are in season. Put any worries about fat and cholesterol aside for a few weeks at least. Let your sugars come down while you pause for breath. If you are hungry eat nuts or olives or cheese, but only small amounts. Otherwise simple meat fish or egg based meals with veg or salad. Simples

Then, and only when you are happy to, you can look at timing of food, and making anyother adjustments or choices. They really aren't important right now.

As example in 4 months I have gone from carbs and chocolholic to very low carb, 2 meals a day contemplating doing longer fats and going more keto , even toying with carnivore...but it will still be few months before I do any of these, when the time feels right. I have only gradually got to this stage having done lots of reading and research and listening to my body. I have lost at least 2 stone and 8 inches from my waist. I haven't been hungry. My skin is good and my digestion first rate. There have been hiccups, stalls and bad days and I never ever thought I would like some of the things I now love to eat...clotted cream straight off the spoon, grilled cheese without the toast but now I do because I can see my body loving it and healing.

Just be kind to yourself and to your body, take it slowly and you will get there and heal. Just dont pressure yourself with targets, decisions and anxiety. You've a lifetime yet xx

There are other fruits that look okay like raspberries, watermelon, avacados and peaches. Quick keto search also recommended starfruit and tomatos. But yeah, most fruits are not so good, which is a shame

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I shall do that at my next appointment. My brother is T2 he was diagnosed last summer. He has gone vegan which was why he was trying to 'sell me' on it. But in my usually skeptical way I decided research would be my best bet. Being an older brother he does have a tendency of trying to steer me into his way of seeing things, but sadly for him, I am not usually very easily influenced, I am more of a research all thoroughly before I make my conclusions with qualifiable data. Cuz you cannot always believe what is on the internet:)

Veganism has a pretty ropey record on reversing T2... this graph is from a study by one of the leading vegan activist doctors Neal Barnard. Not only did he not get anyone into remission over time their HbA1c levels got worse again. Slightly better than standard care but not a lot. My last HbA1c was 4.6% as a comparison.
Maybe show your brother that?
Screenshot 2020-02-20 at 19.16.22.png

Jennji

Eating Low Carb has raised my cholesterol, both my HDL and my LDL. It also lowered my Triglycerides.
But the key thing is that it has improved the main concern Triglycerides /HDL so that according to Dr Paul Mason I'm now in the lowest risk range- at lest on that measure. Which makes it unlikely that my higher LDL is of the glycated or oxidised types (the only ones considered to be really bad for you).

Wow, ok, that is so good to know because that is certainly something that has been a worry for me. Thank you so much for replying.

Jennji

There are recipes for low carb crackers - try putting anything you want to try but with keto in front.
There is 'fat head' pizza too.
I'm afraid vegan is the least type 2 friendly way to eat - I can eat meat, fish and other sea foods, eggs, cheese and add in low carb veges or salad or some berries and be really low carb. Eating that way lowered my cholesterol which I was told was impossible - I got a bit sarcastic. 'so 5 is more than 6 is it?' sort of thing.

Ok, interesting. So did you go on medication for your cholesterol. Will check out the pizza for sure. Gonna get my hubby to try and work his magic with the coconut and almond flour. Is wheat gluten a problem things cuz I am sure a small amount work work well in the “breads” and the amount for a whole loaf would only be like 5g total carbs and given there is no way i could eat a whole loaf in one go, I reckon it might be ok.

Jennji

Hi jenni

MrsA2, thank so so much for your comments. Great info and I know you’re right. I need to realise I am making changes and it takes time to learn things. I need the relax and stress less. Adjustments will take time too and I am so encouraged by everyone’s comments and storylines and what I’ve read so far. Luckily for me, the carbs are fairly easy to cut. I am certainly looking at food in a different way and the videos people have suggest have opened my eyes to other avenues of research On my part. Thanks again for your comments. They are appreciated.

J

Reactions: MrsA2

Jennji

Veganism has a pretty ropey record on reversing T2... this graph is from a study by one of the leading vegan activist doctors Neal Barnard. Not only did he not get anyone into remission over time their HbA1c levels got worse again. Slightly better than standard care but not a lot. My last HbA1c was 4.6% as a comparison.
Maybe show your brother that?View attachment 42849

Bulkbiker, I shall send him this and see what he says. No doubt he will disagree but we shall see.

I’ve read a lot but this:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5466941/

Made me want to research more. I am fully aware you can get views of many ‘studies’ and unless you truly have ‘all’ the data you can make things say what you like to a degree. But it does make me question the agenda and perhaps some conflict of interests with some studies. You know?