B12 & Metformin

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey,

Do people take b12 with Metformin?
Im not sure if im suppose to take it together with metformin or separately.

I also take vitaminD altogether with the rest of my medication just wanted to know if it will work better being taken separately.

Many thanks.
UA

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

I also take vitaminD altogether with the rest of my medication just wanted to know if it will work better being taken separately.

Many thanks.
UA

Hi these UsmanMo - The NHS recommends taking Vitamin B12 tablets between meals: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitam...2 deficiency,of hydroxocobalamin twice a year.

Whereas Metformin is recommended with food, so it would seem sensible not to take them together.

What does the packaging on your medication say? Is your B12 prescribed or a supplement you bought?

If you are to be taking B12 for a while, it is worth finding out if your supplement includes B7 - Biotin. The reason I suggest that is Biotin can interfere with some test results. I posted a thread on this about a year ago (how time flies!), here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/biotin-alert-–-potential-assay-interference.167972/

Of course, it may not be an issue for you, but bearing in mind the challenges you have facted, you don't need any spanners in the works.

If your supplements do contain biotin, it's not an issue. It just means a bit of additional preparation before blood tests.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey,

Many thanks.
UA
I take a daily multi vitamin and 1000mg vitamin C. Don't have a set time, usually but C in morning, multi at night. I used to take folic acid but have moved away from that

My folate level was low so the nurse called a year or so ago saying I needed a supplement. They did prescribe one off but honestly, it's so cheap I buy it rather than tax the NHS further

I also only had a folate problem when I was on 2000mg Metformin, the previous 10 years had no issues

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi these UsmanMo - The NHS recommends taking Vitamin B12 tablets between meals: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamin-b12-or-folate-deficiency-anaemia/treatment/#:~:text=If your vitamin B12 deficiency,of hydroxocobalamin twice a year.

Whereas Metformin is recommended with food, so it would seem sensible not to take them together.

What does the packaging on your medication say? Is your B12 prescribed or a supplement you bought?

If you are to be taking B12 for a while, it is worth finding out if your supplement includes B7 - Biotin. The reason I suggest that is Biotin can interfere with some test results. I posted a thread on this about a year ago (how time flies!), here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/biotin-alert-–-potential-assay-interference.167972/

Of course, it may not be an issue for you, but bearing in mind the challenges you have facted, you don't need any spanners in the works.

If your supplements do contain biotin, it's not an issue. It just means a bit of additional preparation before blood tests.

I get my own from Holland and Barret - I was wondering if it will absorb if I’m taking it alongside metformin, today I took it later in the afternoon around 12pm

I also take magnesium bed to help with sleep, i think I am just trying to see if B12 and vitamin D will work better separately from metformin because i haven’t been able to sleep for the past few days. I’m hoping I will see some results. No sleep and my diabetes will probably get worse i don’t really sleep i nap for a hour or so and then my alarm is going off and I have to get up.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take a daily multi vitamin and 1000mg vitamin C. Don't have a set time, usually but C in morning, multi at night. I used to take folic acid but have moved away from that

My folate level was low so the nurse called a year or so ago saying I needed a supplement. They did prescribe one off but honestly, it's so cheap I buy it rather than tax the NHS further

I also only had a folate problem when I was on 2000mg Metformin, the previous 10 years had no issues

I take multivitamin in the morning, along with my vitamin D, and then I will have my b12 later in the afternoon and i will take a magnesium tablet before bed too since I can’t sleep

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,
I was told with mine to not take it near to when I take metformin as it could reduce the affect, so I take my b12 at midday and then my metformin with my evening meal

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I was told with mine to not take it near to when I take metformin as it could reduce the affect, so I take my b12 at midday and then my metformin with my evening meal

Im going to discuss metformin with dr soon, i take my multivitamin and vitaminD in morning and then, magnesium in the evening for bed