Type 1 Basal insulin calculation

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi does anyone know if you calculate your long acting insulin by the formula weight divided by 4 . I have been diagnosed type 1 for 20 years now . I think I maybe am not having enough background insulin . I know how to carb count all of that for short term insulin but wondered if anyone knows the answer please .
My blood sugars as the day goes on can be about 8to 10 . I use a libre sensor but still finger prick sometimes as well as it can be out sometimes .
Many thanks
Lindy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Most people look at what their blood sugar is before fasting (and with no short acting insulin on board) and see whether it changes over the fasting period. The obvious time to check is overnight, is your morning level roughly the same as your night time level? Given you don't want to inject or eat at night, I'd assume that if my night time levels are right then my basal is OK.

People's basal needs can vary by time of day and hence some people split their basal dose to cope with varying needs, and others move to a pump.

And though if your weight goes up your basal needs will probably go up too, the amount varies so much from person to person that the divide your weight by 4 rule is even less use than the (1 unit of insulin per 10g of carbs) that some people start their bolus ratios at.

Do you have a correction ratio as well as a ratio of insulin to carbs for your bolus?

Good luck

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi does anyone know if you calculate your long acting insulin by the formula weight divided by 4 .
It's no use. Some adult T1's need 100 units of basal, others only 5 units. Even being tall and overweight can't make you 20 times as heavy as a short and underweight person.

Weight formulas are only used (sometimes) when first starting on insulin to have a random starting point to work from with finding the right dose.
With your blood sugars at 8 and 10 you must be very close to the right dose already. Have you contacted your DSN with your question as well?

lorraine c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thankyou I have now seemed to have reached the right dose by testing my fasting readings .
Many thanks
Lindy

Reactions: Antje77