Eating than going sleep

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This gonna sound like a funny question but can eating food than going sleep like 1hour after eating and injecting going sleep cause for blood sugar to affected as in high the next day.?.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I find insulin is more responsive if I walk straight after eating. Could you walk after eating and before bedtime? Otherwise, if I sleep after eating, the insulin dose isn't as effective and can cause blood sugars to be high overnight and the next day.

Reactions: static192

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think i might try that more walking. And try not to sleep straight after food lol. Really appreciate the reply as I couldn't understand but now it makes sense

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I always try to eat a good few hours before bed as whenever I eat late I go high during the night and wake high the next day.

TypeZero.

This gonna sound like a funny question but can eating food than going sleep like 1hour after eating and injecting going sleep cause for blood sugar to affected as in high the next day.?.

Overnight my body requires twice as much insulin as it usually does to bring it down by 3mmol/L. I’m not sure if it is connected to the time of the day or if it is because I’m asleep?

Everyone is different. For me, NovoRapid usually lasts 3 hours, first 2 hours it has the largest effect and the last hour there is a small decrease of 1mmol/L. So I know that I can sleep without worrying about highs or lows.

We all know that frustrating feeling when you wake up high and saying to yourself “**** I must’ve been high all night, it must’ve caused so much damage to my body” — well I certainly do.

Here are some examples of things that may cause a high in the mornings:
-Somogyi rebound (hypo in the night, body is stressed so increases BG by a lot)
-Dawn phenomenon (rush of hormones causing BG increase from towards dawn) if I remember correctly carbs before bed seems to exacerbate it?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oddly for me, 9 outa 10 on a gig day I fast from 13.00 onwards. The show don't art till 9. I nether like a full stomach or any Novorapid in my system whilst performing. If relatively local by the time I get home or even a hotel back in the day, I want to eat.
My basal has (or should have.) tailed of a couple of hours prior but I'm still at around the early 5mmols.
I haven't been drinking due to being a driver. So, around midnight 1sh I inject my basal then my dose for food, eat with some very low carb booze.. (Vodka & Diet Coke.)
I very rarely eat pizza. But by the time I feel ready for bed & wake up whenever the following morning.
I may have a spike to around 8 at some point whilst asleep. But by morning I'm back in the late 4s early 5s..

.. Of course I also feel like I've had a night of hedonism. But the BGs haven't been so bad considering.

Normal suppers are around 9pm for us & lower in the carb intake..but then if there's work the following day? There can be a foot on the floor jump of about 2or3mmol..